Author Topic: The Mustang world has lost a Great Guy  (Read 4233 times)

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
The Mustang world has lost a Great Guy
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
Byron Bertsch  11/9/48 - 14/4/10

Byron was the driving force behind the creation of Total Control Products. He was a believer that also had the cash to pursue what he believed in. That is how I met him, by my initial contact with the people at TCP who introduced me to their benefactor. I became heavily involved with the company doing a lot of R&D work for them including the creation of the RHD R&P.

That began a long friendship that included long road trips (one to pick up my B2 from Seattle), World of Outlaw Sprintcar meetings where he knew all the drivers, Goodguys hot rod shows, SEMA in Las Vegas & of course hanging out at Gilroy CA at his shop where his toys were.

I went to Bonneville last year all because of what Byron had told me. He went every year for almost 15 years until his battle started in 2001. In fact just about everything I now do in life is because of his influence.  

Some of the forum members here had actually met Byron, once met never forgotten as he instantly became your best friend. There was 3 of us here today (Jack Psaras & my son Sean) when I got the news, all of us knew him well.

I am proud to say he was a great friend, possibly the best you could ever have.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »
I never had the honour of meeting Byron but my best wishes go out to his family and friends

Offline chrisevo

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Kerry. Keep his and your memories of past trips and good conversations had alive by sharing with others and knowing the spirit lives on!
Cheers
Chris

Offline muzz67

• Worked
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
Hi Kerry,
My physical time with Byron was short, just a few credible hours in the "Gilroy Toy Shop" yet my journey with Byron through the eyes and words of yourself and Sean has made memories I will hold till my own time comes.

Einstien says it better then I ever could Mate!

"Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: That we are here for the sake of others...for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. "Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is built upon the labors of people, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received."- Albert Einstein

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 67 Coupe, 289 C-code.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
The loss of anyone, even remotely allied to our Mustang passion, is always felt by us all. Sad to hear of this happening Kerry.

Condolences to Family and those close to him.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »
Condolences to the people that knew him, especially his Family.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »
sorry to hear Kerry

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 08:46:14 AM »
Just wanted to add a little more about what Byron was like. Here was a guy that lived for cars. Always was a group of people dropping in & out of the shop all day. Most days consisted of arriving in the morning, discussing where to have lunch, by that time, going to lunch & then all who attended, coming back for the afternoon.

He usually had a collection of around 30-40 cars at any given time, as he loved to buy & sell what he fancied. He loved his big Fords,

but he was also very passionate about his Mustangs.

I actually built him a lot of cars, this one being the last one I did bodywork on. It was a memorial to one of his best friends who had been building it for around 25 years...

This was another that I was heavily involved in & he got to drive it for the first time a few days before he passed..

More of his neat stuff here..

While Byron was going through chemotherapy & was supposed to be isolated, he still wanted to be dealing in cars. He actually bought a new truck by driving to the dealership, staying in his car, passing papers & the cheque through a partially opened window so he would not get any germs.

The day he died he had just gone down to the dealer & purchased a brand new Mustang, drove it home & had the stroke as he arrived.

No funeral for my friend, we are having a car show/get together instead as that was his wish. Will be an annual event at his shop, probably held around his birthday after this year.

Passionate until the end.... RIP old mate.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Kerry, brings a tear to the eye  mate.
cheers
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »
I found this in my mailbox that I do not check very often. I am now realizing more that this forum is read worldwide....

Subject: Byron
To: sthernx@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, April 19, 2010, 10:05 PM

Hi,

Saw your post.  Could you post this...He is a great man

I was Byron's neighbor.  We met not through cars but just by the fact we lived across the street from each other.  Yes he was a car guy and always seemed to bring home a new "project".  I remember he brought home the cab over engine truck and my son really liked it. (the one pictured above) Byron punched it slightly and it let off a nice but commanding growl that I personally enjoyed and Byron too but it startled my son (he was unhappy)...Byron and I looked at each other and shared a precious moment of "let's not do that again":).  I won't forget the times of taking out the garbage and seeing Byron and spending an hour talking about "stuff".  From those conversations I got the message of "Find your passion...and live it."  Byron certainty did that.  His persona and character is a model for all of us to follow.  I am better person because of meeting Byron.  

Rest in peace my good friend.  We will miss you.  

Offline mjb0015

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »
Sad news Kerry.

mjb

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Kerry.

Sad to hear such an influencial motoring person pass away. May he rest in peace.

Visit Custom Mustangs