oncosts to price.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: oncosts to price.  (Read 2790 times)

Offline tangman

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:36:35 PM »
There must me someone out there who has imported from the U.S. to Aus and registered in NSW.The exchange rate seems favourable at the moment.So it  may be worth while importing,but I would like to know how much on top of the purchase price I need to allow to actually have a drivable/registered mustang in my garage.
Cheers.

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
oncosts to price.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:50:01 PM »
If you pay $ 20.000 for a car thats $21.900  in au dollars 3.500 to get it here depending on who you ship it through plus gst on the price paid and thats about it depending on condition shouldnt be a lot more, in qld you have to get a LO2 plate which involves fitting au seat belts and headlights and child restraints  nsw should be similar :seeya:

Offline tangman

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »
Would you think that on top of the purchase price I would then need$9,700 for
Transport                  $4000
GST                           $2200
Compliance               $1500(certificate,seatbelts ,headlights )
green/blue slip Rego $600
Insurance                  $400
Unknowns                 $1000
Does this seem a realistic budget to get me on the road?:2

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
oncosts to price.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:39:56 PM »
GST is paid on the purchase and freight combined.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
oncosts to price.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:12:59 PM »
I think your budget would be pretty close, the GST obviously varys depending on purchase price & freight. If the car is in good condition then your $1500.00 for complience costs should easily cover it with change for a good night out. If the car is a bucket then the $1500.00 will barely cover the cost of tissues to mop up your tears when you get the recto bill. Take your time & try & get the right car, if you get the wrong one the costs can be huge as a few of us on here have found out the hard way.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
oncosts to price.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Suggest you look at the customs website:
www.customs.gov.au, there's a table there although it's a bit hard to digest.

I rang them: 1800815272 and if what I was told is correct then you pay 10% duty on the value of the car and then another 10%GST on the value of the car (plus the duty I think) and the value of shipping combined.

Can be an expensive exercise. I'd be very interested if anyone can tell me if I'm wrong here.

Good luck.
Rick

Offline tangman

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
There is alot of stories going around ,so that is why I asked the question,hopefully somebody who has imported personally then gone through all the rig-marole can tell off their experience, and the cost ionvolved.:(

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
oncosts to price.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 02:33:50 AM »
Gst is calculated on the entire cost (purchase,transport, shipping) of the car to put it on the doocks in Oz.

Give a customs agent a call....dont mess with customs.gov...lotta misinformation that just confuses you. Just depends who you get a hold of...some of them even baffle me

A customs agent can tell you exactly what it will cost (baseing his calculations on today as a shipping date) and taking into account that it WILL be hit with quaranteen cleaning fees...He/she can give you a very good figure to work with

Keep in mind that when the car gets here, you have to pay to have it unloaded from the container

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
oncosts to price.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:01:37 AM »
you only pay the 10% once and it is on total of car plus shipping. The guys at DOTARs were actually good on the phone when I called so it may depend on who you get. The 10% +10% is on a newer car from memory.
In Vic you need an engineer to look over the compliance - add $400. RWC add $$, you may need tyres add $$. Your budget seems ok depending on what you need for RWC - not sure about NSW but things like a working demister caught me out, brakes, steering bushes, pwr steering leaks and the like. Also customs agent costs at this end, include steam cleaning and the freight forwarding costs.  I guess mine cost about the same as yours and probably cost that again to get it on the road and friendly to drive.:evil: get to know your credit card very well

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
oncosts to price.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »
Allow about $4000.00 (agents fees, cleaning,rego etc etc) plus your GST & that will get you over the line.  This is assuming the car is basicly roadworthy. We got Stanglovers car regoed yesterday (NSW) piece of p@#s.
Blue slip, green slip, weighbridge ticket, copy of DOTARS approval & original purchace recipt. 15 mins at the RTA & it was all done.

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
oncosts to price.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:52:48 AM »
You budget will be fine you should have plenty left over but choose a shipping co carefully ,what state are you in ?:seeya:

Offline Qldmustang

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
What state are you in. One thing not to forget about is the Stamp Duty you have to pay when you get the car registered. In Qld I think we are about 2% to 3% on the total cost of the car.

Offline tangman

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »
Thanks for all the comments,Located in NSW.

Offline Qldmustang

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »
This is for cars in NSW
$44,999 or less 3% (eg, $3 for every $100 or part thereof)
$45,000 or more $1,350 (3% up to $45,000)
PLUS 5% for the amount over $45,000 (eg, $5 for every $100 or part thereof)

Cheers

Offline tangman

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
Lets see then U.S$ 20,000=AUS $22,900 .This is the purchase price only then 3% is$687 for stamp duty.Do we then need to add stamp duty to compliace,etc.I think stamp duty would already be in the rego & insurance costs.Wotdyarekin?

Offline Qldmustang

• Stallion
oncosts to price.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »
Nope,
        It is the total cost of the car, transport, compliance..... When I went in to register mine they advised it was everything to get it to the transport including the Truck from Brisbane to Cairns. I guess it is what you write on the form and get the % from there. It's your call but I would contact the Dept of Trans in NSW to find out.

Cheers

Visit Custom Mustangs