Author Topic: Justang's "x" Daily driver  (Read 5634 times)

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
Justang's "x" Daily driver
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »
Thought i should post up some pic's of the old girl and tell a bit of the story along the way.......
I have been looking for a few years well about 5. Want to do a Eleanor maybe with some twist's along the way but needed a daily driver for a while while i didnt have a company car so i picked this old girl up.
Liked the late 65 66 coupes so was on the look out in the normal area's and pick this up off evilbay.
Was very happy with the pick up maybe spent a little more then i could have but she has only 1 american owner and 1 Aus owner so 3 owner very original with nothing hiding. Had rego (++++), factory Air, pony interior, daily driver paint and chrome but straight as straight can be and only one little bubble of rust that mustang.org.au has since said just a little stop and we will fix when we paint her in a few years.
Well we drove her home from Bendigo and only suffered from a little over heating if driven above 60 miles so a cruize home was on the cards.
The first thing was a full detail as she had sat for the last 8 years so was full of dust and paint needed some luv. 
so the pic are after that polish as i was getting a lot of request's from friend and family for pic's.

theres more if anyone wants to take a look i was messing around.
 Photobucket: http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/justinf999/Justos%2066%20coupe/

happy to hear thoughts on the old girl

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 67 Coupe, 289 C-code.
voltage regulator
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »
Looking pretty good for a Pony that has been asleep for 8 years. Nice ride jusTANG!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:00:13 PM »
Looks Good Buddy, I still can't believe Barry sold it to you.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:14:23 PM »
Originally posted by MustangNut
Looks Good Buddy, I still can't believe Barry sold it to you.

well sold it....the last 4seconds saw it go to me :w:w:w

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:15:28 PM »
Nice Buy!

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
voltage regulator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
jusTANG,

Excellent looking pony, did you lower the pony or thats how she was.  :(

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
voltage regulator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »
Hey Justin.
Looks very snappy!!!
enjoy.
Ash
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »
Just some pi's of how the paint started before it got to what you see today, chrome needed some work also lol

1/2 the bonnet was polished and 1/2 still to go

Took me almost a day to polish the bonnet and one front guard, went to a car detailer and had him have a go at 1/2 the bonnet to see if he could get it any better then i could  and he couldnt so he said save my $$$$$ and do it myself. 4 days later it was done

All the chrome was like this so off with it all and gave it all a good polish

then it was time to turn to the interior another 2 days on it saw ALL the chrome removed and cleaned, even heater  control bezel etc, seats were removed

1/2 the seat cleaned and creamed up with smartwax dressing

Before and after

It was well worth the effort to pull it apart and wash it all then use some protective cream on it all. Just thought i would share

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:49:03 PM »
Originally posted by caretaker65
jusTANG,

Excellent looking pony, did you lower the pony or thats how she was.  :(

na thats the way she sat, i do have the original springs to keep off to the side. I love the way it sits

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:33 PM »
now for the ugly of it all

;x oil leaks were the name of the day once she look all nice and clean

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
Hey Justin,

Nice pony,
Fantastic work on bightening her up!!!

John

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
Mate, that engine bay is looking ...well... lived in!  Cool..

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
ok so after a quick degrease and a couple of trips down the high way to mustang.org.aus and of couse the Merrylands state concourse it was time to get down and dirty for the ACT rego Natzi's

thats some dirt and grime no wonder rego would need it cleaned up :w what was i thinking.  All the sump bolts needed to be re tensioned and yes the dreaded control valve saga started.

thought i better clean up

so while i was at it i scrub the whole car underneath all nice and clean

Offline BLU302

• Worked
voltage regulator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:08:49 PM »
Sweet ride,jusTang.
Should keep you busy for a while.
Bob

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »
Originally posted by Thirsty390
Hey Justin,

Nice pony,
Fantastic work on bightening her up!!!

John

thanks John, a lot of hard work and time........lucky i have a bit of it at the moment. Used some Meguiars to cut then smartwax to polish. Had to do it like 4 times then also twice more since with smatwax one. Looks real good now had some comments that she looked fresh paint lol apart from where the paint has worn off ;]

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 09:26:06 PM »
Originally posted by MustangMedic
Hey Justin.
Looks very snappy!!!
enjoy.
Ash

Thanks Ash
all us Canberra guys should get together for a beer in the middle of canberra some day soon.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 09:29:13 PM »
Originally posted by IGALOP
Looking pretty good for a Pony that has been asleep for 8 years. Nice ride jusTANG!

Thanks IGALOP,
it was nice to just have to clean it up to enjoy, i need a daily driver soon so it will be nice. The down side is the more i drive it the more breaks so i have had some down times like you proberly have read but i am learning and enjoying it for the most part......
you never know i may just venture down that way soon
:(

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
Originally posted by BLU302
Sweet ride,jusTang.
Should keep you busy for a while.
Bob

Thanks Bob, it is nice and original, a 80 lady had it in CA and then it was bought to Australia and used for a daily driver to run to school etc then parked for the last 8 years. So nice to just clean her up and enjoy her now then a good strong build later maybe.  Wanted a driver and got one now want a project :+

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
voltage regulator
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
jusTANG,

Yeah she sits just right, when our FB has her dress up soon, we plan to take a 1/2 or full ring out of the front to drop the nose.
She can be pretty lose sometimes ... just like having power steering.

I plan to catch up with Kerry, Mo & Mark Dixon when we are up in Canberra in late Nov, hopefully we can add you to the list if your around.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
Originally posted by caretaker65
jusTANG,

Yeah she sits just right, when our FB has her dress up soon, we plan to take a 1/2 or full ring out of the front to drop the nose.
She can be pretty lose sometimes ... just like having power steering.

I plan to catch up with Kerry, Mo & Mark Dixon when we are up in Canberra in late Nov, hopefully we can add you to the list if your around.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoff, i should be around so count me in..........the guards do scrap alittle ;] but worth it for the look :(

Offline TimR67

• Worked
voltage regulator
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 08:03:36 AM »
Very Nice. I like your photography, magazine worthy

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »
Originally posted by TimR67
Very Nice. I like your photography, magazine worthy

:w no no i dont think so, just happened to have a camera that takes a nice pic, it was a nice day, had time to play and the location is local i remembered it from 18 or so years ago doing a burnout video photo's there that worked out cool so i went on down and yes was fairly happy with the way they turn out.
:[ I did forget to put the badges back on..........thought someone of you forum holics would have called me on that:+

Thanks Tim i want a project now you guys have wet the whistle and must get one, did get the all clear so now just to find the right car, 67,68 fastback or vert is on the cards:a

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
voltage regulator
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
See what happens when you spent time with mustang.org.au ...
Plenty of projects around, I suppose it just depends on how much of a project you want. :(

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »
Hey guys,
been getting a few u2u's about the seats and how i got them looking so good when they are 44+ yr's old.
so basicly washed them down with (hold onto your hats) kero with a soft brush, thats right kero.  Kero puts oil back into Vinyl, then washed it down with soap and water as the smell was a killer lol, then the last thing i put on was a product from Smartwax called Smartwax Dressing. It is different to other products i have used before.

its just what i did and seemed to work out good for me........come to think of it, may be time for a polish up again. v8's are on tomorrow good excuse to spend the day in the garage. Baby have to polish the investment

:+:+:+:+:+

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
voltage regulator
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »
the chrome i did different to most also it was a heap of work trust me but it was so so worth it, learnt a few things along the way. The chrome is still has pits but is shiny so looks good from a distance.
i removed it all and then bought a buffing leather wheel Multi purpose for the bench grinder from bunnings, also bought a buffing kit for a electric drill which came with calico cutting wheels and polishing wheels 2 sizes, along with cutting compound and polish. I used the cutting then the leather (finer cut) then polished it with the polishing wheel. Thats why it took days but just watched tv in the shed and enjoyed looking at the old girl sitting there. I am sure i heard the muzzie sigh a coulple of times from the luv being shown lol......well had to come up with a excuss when the kids heard me talking to her.....
Smartwax has a new product called Blu that they hit my bumpers with at the show the other day and it cam up good. they are OOS of it at the moment :-(
The best thing i have done is clay bar car after all the polish, wish i had done it first. Claybar will also take over spray of chrome etc really well.

just what i did in no way am i saying its the right way that everyone should use just gives you other ways to look at

regards,
j

Visit Custom Mustangs