Pertronix Query

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Pertronix Query  (Read 281 times)

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
Pertronix Query
« on: June 27, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »
Howdy Brains-Trust,

Firstly, thanks for any assistance you all can provide.

Like many people, itís got to the point (pun intended) where Iíve not the time to routinely do ignition timing. So want to get a Pertronix (Ignitor 1).

There seems to be many Pertronix models, and they kindly provide a list of questions to answer so they can advise the most appropriate one.

Car specs: 1967, V8 289, auto tranny, LHD, factory air-con and power-steering, no modifications. Autolite Distributor (C7AF12127AH), Single Points, Holley 2BBL Carby (4643-3)

Iím not overly mechanical/electrical so perhaps you blokes can answer or clarify these questions:

1.   Points Part Number: Is that really important?
2.   Distributor Rotation: Clockwise or Anticlockwise?
3.   System Voltage: Well, the car runs on a 12 Volt battery, so I guess itís 12 Volts not stepped down to 6 Volts?
4.   Vacuum Advance: Yes/No?
5.   System Polarity: Negative or Positive Earth?

There are no dumb-questions, right?  :smile01:
Bill Haley (& His Comets): 'There has to be a Cadillac music and a Ford music. Tchaikovsky and Bach is Cadillac music, while we play more down-to-earth Ford music. It's got a good solid beat that can't be missed... definitely designed for teenage kids to dance to.'

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Pertronix Query
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 04:49:02 PM »
I'd suggest the answers are:

1. Irrelevant as far as I can see
2. Anti-clockwise
3. 12
4. Yes
5. Neg

However, in relation to 3, if your car is original it has a resistor in the circuit that drops the voltage to the dizzy down to about 9 volts once its running. Early Pertronix kits were OK with this but, I may be wrong - its happened before - I think any new Pertronix you buy now will require this resistor to be bypassed to provide a full 12 volts all the time.

This is entirely straightforward and something many of us have done to put a modern electronic dizzy in our cars. There are a couple of ways of going about it and many on here can talk you through it, even I could.

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
I run a Pertronix Ignitor 1 in the '68 coupe. Recommend you upgrade your coil and spark plug wires at the same time. I also bypassed the pink resistor wire. This is the one you need.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/pertronix-electronic-ignition-ignitor-single-point-v8-mustang-1965-1974/p/PER1/

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:08:14 PM »
Pertronix 1 is designed as a straight forward replacement of your points ignition without replacing coil or modifying of your wiring. It will run with the built in resistor which provides 9 volts. The disadvantage of this is like with points is that if you leave the ignition on for a prolonged time it will burn out the module, otherwise, no protection.  The updated version Pertronix 2 has a built in protection to prevent burnt module in case ignition is left on but it will require 12 volts supply which is simple by adding a relay to your supply wire and recommended to use a low resistance coil of 0.6 ohms or less. Pertronix 3 is way too complicated and overkill in a daily driver. 

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »
I have used I,II and III Ignitors to good effect and never had any failures (with resistor wire bypassed as outlined above). You will be happy with outcome  of any of these systems.

Note, I have a Petronix III distributor (with matching coil and custom made Petronix 8MM Magx2 leads in black cripmed to neatly wrap along valve covers) for sale in classifieds if interested - removed for an EFI upgrade.

Cheers,
Trav

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »

Thanks Everyone - appreciated!

:thumb:

Bill Haley (& His Comets): 'There has to be a Cadillac music and a Ford music. Tchaikovsky and Bach is Cadillac music, while we play more down-to-earth Ford music. It's got a good solid beat that can't be missed... definitely designed for teenage kids to dance to.'

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs