Water coming inside through air vent

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Water coming inside through air vent  (Read 414 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Mustang
Water coming inside through air vent
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
Hi, Lately when washing my 68 coupe a small amount of water is coming in through the drivers pull air vent.
I've recently replaced the pull cable, surely there is a gutter and drain before it gets to that part.
I've looked through the outside grill and just see how the metal falls away to the side of the car and nothing's obvious.
Can you give me some advice!
Cheers Phil.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Re: Water coming inside through air vent
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:53:49 PM »
Looks like you got a rusty cowl and need a Cowl Repair Kit, I have a spare one only cause I had mine repaired completely.
https://www.autoware.com.au/shop/ac-parts-accessories/model-specific/ford/mustang/ford-1964-mustang-ac/1964-1968-mustang-cowl-vent-repair-kit/

Luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Bucks

• Worked
  • Name: Dave
  • Car: 66 Fastback 289 4 speed
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »
Have a look at this site, shows you what it looks like inside the cowl.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2008/05/mustang-cowl-area-rust.html

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:26:05 PM »
A common problem of rust in that area. You need to remove the vent assembly from beneath then with an inspection lamp see what's what with the sheet metal.
Best remove the driver's seat then you can lie on the floor to look upwards and see what's what.
Take a photo and report back.
Depending on what rust damage there is, hopefully it can all be tackled from underneath.
Been there done that.

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
Simple test, jack one side up and with someone inside, gently hose water into the cowl grill, and it will flow inside if the cowl vent is full of holes.
Repeat for the other side, to check the opposite cowl vent.

One of the things you should do if buying an unknown early Mustang.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:22:07 PM by Ausfox »
14 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR 14800 MILES
2002 TICKFORD COBRA CONVERTIBLE

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
 I keep reading that this was a poor design by ford, does that mean that once water got in the cowl area it could not drain out?
 Is there any drainage point at all built into this, or does it come down to trying to retro fit one somehow or never getting your car wet??

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:02 PM »
The cowl area is designed to drain at each end, the water tipping over into the enclosed mudguard area and draining out the bottom. In theory. However, it's not very efficient and if a car is parked a certain way or at an angle for a long time then water can pond rather than draining away and hence cause problems.

The circular metal duct pieces that act as dams to let air down through to the vent and heater but keep water out are just panel steel spot welded in place with seam sealer around and between and so rust can easily form when water sits. The inner cowl area wouldn't have received much protective paint during assembly. I've seen several cars where too much seam sealer was used and that itself had caused water to become trapped.

If the rust perforation is minor then it can often be fixed from underneath albeit with some difficulty and dexterity and care, there being different ways to tackle it such as noted in posts above.

Should the whole cowl area be badly rusted out as some poor owners have found then the way forward is to remove the windscreen to then enable access for drilling out dozens of spot welds all sides to remove the upper cowl panel to allow access to the rusted out lower section. Patch panels are available to replace the lower cowl panel. And then reinstall it all. A tedious process I'm told but doable.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 03:03:43 AM »
I keep reading that this was a poor design by ford, does that mean that once water got in the cowl area it could not drain out?
 Is there any drainage point at all built into this, or does it come down to trying to retro fit one somehow or never getting your car wet??

It is not a poor design.

When Ford built these cars, they did not expect people to still be driving them 50 years later. The amount of Mustangs that have rusted cowls is small compared to the millions of Mustangs they made from 64 thru 68. The main problem is that debris like small leaves or other things dropped from trees that some people leave these cars parked under, get washed down to the sides of the cowl where the drain holes re then plug them up. This then allows rain water to stay pooled around the car for long periods.

How many cars made today do you think will still be on the road 50 years from now?

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »
 The question may be, What cars made today would people want to be driving in 50 years from now,  :lol:

Offline AussiePhil

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Mustang
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
Hi, thanks all, I'll get onto it, it's not as if I've got anything else planned, re: covid19.
Your advice has been valuable, I now know what end of the car to start, ha ha.
It is a bit tight down around the pedals, and I'm not getting any smaller or agile.
I'll let you know how I go.
HEVEN67 were are you just in case I need the repair kit!
Cheers Phil.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »
It is a bit tight down around the pedals, and I'm not getting any smaller or agile.

You can take the pedals off if you need to.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 03:38:21 PM »
Remove the seat, the pedal box and the dashboard and pull the wiring loom out of the way. And the vent assembly of course.
Then you should be able to see what's up.

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs