Looking to buy 1971-1973 mach 1

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Looking to buy 1971-1973 mach 1  (Read 2197 times)

Offline V10ferrari

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Cameron
Looking to buy 1971-1973 mach 1
« on: November 20, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »
Hi All i am looking to get a 1971-1973 mach1 and was hoping if anybody could tell me what to look out for before purchasing i have a budget of 30K so not after a show car but just something we could take for a drive on the weekend to enjoy
TIA Cameron

Offline DW

• Stallion
  • Name: David
Re: Looking to buy 1971-1973 mach 1
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:22:23 PM »
Hi Cameron, I'm in the middle of restoring a 71 Mach 1 . You can give me a call on my mobile if you wanted to discuss things. I've also got a 65 coupe which I drive regularly.

0419 279543 - anytime between 6- 10 pm 7 days a week.

Regards,
Dave

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »
A lot of things to watch for are common to all first generation Mustangs.

One specific thing with 71-73s is that 71-72 models are pretty much identical but 73s were a one year only deal and have quite a few unique parts which can be hard to find if/when you need them.

$30K should get you a decent car if you're patient but stretching to $35K would give you more options.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:36:59 AM by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline 188 LVU

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 11:34:47 AM »

Get in touch with the Brisbane club group, go along to meetings or events ( see the home page for info ) and pick some brains.  They will have a good idea of what to look for and what to avoid.  Maybe someone will go with you when you look at a car.

Check websites like Uniquecars and Carsales.com.  Make sure you see the car in person, talk to the owner/s, go for a drive.

Your budget is close.  You may get something a bit cheaper that will need some work.  Make sure you can cope.  Decide whether you want a car with mostly original / stock options or are you happy with aftermarket goodies like upgraded sound system or EFI.

And, yes, as noted above, take your time.  D

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
Own a ’73 Mach 1, following on from what Brian said, very solid cars, drive great, had a few more modern updates from the earlier classic cars like flush door handles, hidden windscreen wipers, more sound deadening.

Generally, parts are available but some are hard to get like interior parts, especially A pillar trims.  ‘73’s had some unique parts like bumpers, brackets (to meet that year’s legislative requirements) and grill work so the ’71-’72’s are better entry level cars if parts are a concern.

These cars are rarer in Oz than the more common 64-70 models and finding even an average one can be challenging.  I had to import a decent one from the States but that was my preference.  Like people are saying here, take your time as there are less to choose from.

Offline stevosky

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 08:41:19 PM »
Generally, parts are available but some are hard to get like interior parts, especially A pillar trims.  ‘73’s had some unique parts like bumpers, brackets (to meet that year’s legislative requirements) and grill work so the ’71-’72’s are better entry level cars if parts are a concern.

Engine mounts aren't available for 73.
Steve

1973 Mach 1

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 09:01:12 PM »
Engine mounts aren't available for 73.

This was certainly the case until recently due to them being re-designed for impact regulations.  Looks like there is at least one supplier now but the catch is they need your old mounts to use as cores:  https://www.mustangsetc.com/73-mustang-302-351-motor-mount-rebuilt-fits-coupe-fastback/

Point is there are much fewer repro parts for 71-73 Mustangs than the earlier models and parts for 73s in particular can be problematic.  All the more reason to try and stretch the budget if necessary to get a better car that needs less work than a cheaper one that will have you tearing your hair out...

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:03:24 PM by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
look for rust or rust repair.

lower inside corners of the door.
lower inside door edge
outside and inside of trunk around tail lights.
trunk floor
look inside the wells next to the trunk from inside the trunk with a flashlight.
take a magnet with low magnetism like a magnetic business card and stick it everywhere on the outside of the body, especially along the lower portions in front and behind the wheel wells.
floor pans
on top of shock towers
end of torque boxes

check the rad for rust by looking in the top at the tubes. if the coolant level is too high, stick your finder inside and feel for rust in the tops of the tubes.

take an infra red gun with you if you have one and check the engine temp before the t stat housing after driving it.

let it sit and idle for 10 minutes after driving it to see if it starts to run hot.

if it has ac, turn this on while driving to see if t works, plus to see if the engine runs hot. let it idle with the ac on if the ac works.

after it is warm, floor it from a stop until it shifts into drive to see if the trans slips or shifts slowly etc.

have the owner push the gas pedal down a few times while you stand behind it to see if it smokes.

make sure the drivers seat back is not broken and that it tilts forward properly.

look for trans leaks including where the shift shaft comes out of it, and check rear main seal for a leak on the engine.

have the owner move the steering wheel back and forth around 1/8th in each direction while you look at the tie rod ends to see if they are loose.

look at the idler arm also to see if it moves up and down more than around 5 mm when the wheel is being oscillated.

see if the brake pedal gets slightly higher after you pump it once.

hold your foot don on the pedal with light to moderate force to see if it slowly sinks to the floor.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:37:50 PM by barnett468 »

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • On the road.
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »
One in Queensland for sale.
Facebook marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/780595302040445?view=permalink&id=2462086103891348

1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Authentic Mach 1
351 2V
Has recently had a new Holly 650 Carby fitted with 2 1/2 inch twin aluminunised exhausts and recently a new fuel tank. I have it on Club registration but will be sold unregistered and unroadworthy and without personalised plates.
Has a nice stereo Bluetooth system fitted.
 Smooth car to drive with a nice note.
Was repainted approximately 15 years ago and could do with a new respray but still looks good for driver quality. Black interior that is in excellent condition. Will not come with the blow rim steering wheel but the original Mustang one which is in very good condition.
Please phone Matt on 0432321237 for any enquiries or for a serious inspection. Located Central Gold Coast area.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:27:51 PM by Clubman7 »

Offline V10ferrari

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Thanks I actually looked at this one yesterday needs a lot of restoration work

Offline Cadd

• Thoroughbred
  • 06 GT - 71 Mach 1 - 88 Foxbody GT - 17 Ecoboost
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 71 Mach 1 + 06 GT
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »
Yeah had mine for over 6 years wouldnt part with it for quids very hard to find a good one (took months and ended up in Vic to get mine) most I have seen over time have been rough and not well looked after as they arent considered popular (get a ton of attention when I drive it though) but if you need help or want some advice on the Goldy just ask always happy to help
Cadd
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:03:17 PM by Cadd »

Offline V10ferrari

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
Thanks mate i went and a look at a yellow one on the gold coast last sunday unfortunately it was full of rust

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • On the road.
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
Couple on carsales.com.au

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »
Couple on carsales.com.au

The resto-mod and the burgundy one I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.  The '72 looks nice but is massively overpriced...

Had a quick look on US Ebay - these things are starting to shoot up in price.  Couldn't find anything that looked half decent for much less than $30K USD.   :thud:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:21:17 PM by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
Actually, the 71-73’S have already shot up in price years ago Stateside.  You’re right, decent ones in the US are now starting at $30k minimum and going into six digit territory for the more exclusive performance versions.  Australia is still a relative bargain for what these cars have to offer and there’s a lot of car here for what the yanks would consider cheap money in Oz.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:03:52 PM by robster »

Offline V10ferrari

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »
hi Brian is this one of the ones you are referring to and if so why? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1973-ford-mustang-mach-1-manual/SSE-AD-4681933/?Cr=0
TIA Cameron

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 09:40:11 PM »
hi Brian is this one of the ones you are referring to and if so why?

Yes it is and keep in mind a lot of the things I'm picking at are personal preference/opinion items but here we go:

- converted to RHD
- don't believe it's a factory colour (could be wrong about this but never seen another one the same)
- no Mach 1 stripe kit
- no hood blackout treatment
- no deluxe Mach 1 interior
- no Mach 1 centre console
- non-tach cluster
- cheap looking aftermarket steering wheel
- engine bay painted body colour instead of black

This one has been on CarSales for a loooong time (maybe more than a year?) which is never a good sign and the seller has also been playing games with the price.  When I first noticed it the price was in the low to mid $30K bracket where it stayed for quite a while and it didn't sell, so they then decided to increase the price by nearly $10K - WTF?

My apologies if the car belongs to anyone on here but I was asked for my opinion...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »
Check the VIN - if it has 05 in 3rd & 4th places (ie. body series) then it's a Mach 1; if it has 02 then it's a general sportsroof.

Actually the 'base' Mach 1 in '73 was pretty spartan; the 'Sports' interior, console, extra instrumentation, fold-down seat, etc etc all cost extra.
Not all Mach 1s got the two-tone hood treatment either, I think it had something to do with the type of hood fitted?
Interesting that it has a one-owner history since arriving in Australia. Manual too. And RHD which will appeal to a lot of people; would pay to check out how exactly that alteration work was carried out.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 07:57:25 AM »
Actually the 'base' Mach 1 in '73 was pretty spartan; the 'Sports' interior, console, extra instrumentation, fold-down seat, etc etc all cost extra.
Not all Mach 1s got the two-tone hood treatment either, I think it had something to do with the type of hood fitted?

Fully aware of that and I wasn't trying to indicate to the OP that it wasn't a real Mach 1.  Just if I was shopping for a Mach 1 (rather than just any sportsroof) I'd want it to look as Mach 1 as possible with all the trimmings.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »
Oh I agree. Much better to buy a car with all the fruit than a plain-Jane & hope to obtain all the nice-to-haves - at significant $$$ - later.
Unless of course one likes the plain-Jane 'sleeper' look, and there's nothing wrong with that approach.
But personally I like a console to divide the front into two, and the accessories. Which we're used to having in abundance with modern cars.

Anyway, need to check the VIN to find out what it is.

Offline V10ferrari

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »
I have checked the vin and it is a genuine mach 1 with a q code engine yes a centre console is expensive to obtain however not a deal breaker i am a sign maker so recreating a decal kit for sides and bonnet not a problem and get front and rear spoilers from states is relatively inexpensive fingers crossed this is the car for us otherwise will keep searching have been looking for 12 months allready so no rushthanks everyon3 for advice to date has been appreciated

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »
Please please get someone from here to go and have a look at it before you travel down yourself . It's top dollar and needs to be in top condition .  Paint looks bad in those photos and over spray and things painted over . Q code means 4 v heads too and 4 barrel carb . Be wise and listen to us mustang owners before you buy . My thoughts only   :bolt:

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 09:19:00 PM »
Just to be clear, I understand you have a budget of $30k and the owner of the burgundy Mach1 wants over $42k so does that price it out of your desired price level ? 

Brian’s observations sum up some of the aspects I would note however they are mainly cosmetic but what does concern me is the steering conversion looks a bit rough around the edges, not sure if the pics are showing a solid conversion or not.  I would have this car inspected to check the conversion and the condition around the firewall behind the dash in particular.  It is a ’73 and we have mentioned that there are some unique legislated parts for this year.  However, agreed that the front spoiler is inexpensive but the rear wing, especially if its aluminium is expensive.  The fact you’re a sign writer is handy as painting the decals will make things easier and add some extra visual gravitas. 

Took me three years to find mine so a year looking is not too bad at this stage.  Good luck.

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »
Oh and agree with Glenn on the paint, photos don't flatter it.  Pretty sure it's not a '73 color.  Definitely resprayed as the engine bay should be black.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »
There are more things incorrect than correct on that mustang .  robster since when did they have an alloy rear spoiler ?  . Even the Aussie falcon GT had a fibreglass/ ploy  type of rear spoiler  and the alloy ones were a dealer fitted fomco spoiler sold as an accessory .  The GTHO phase 3 had a 70 Mach 1 spoiler with there own mounts .   Gone a bit off subject sorry .

Visit Custom Mustangs