Congrats to Scotty Mac and DJR Penske

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Congrats to Scotty Mac and DJR Penske  (Read 423 times)

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Congrats to Scotty Mac and DJR Penske
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:50:57 PM »
Wrapped up the Supercar championship at Sandown today, despite a pretty ordinary weekend. Very pleased for Dick in particular who has stuck with the Blue Oval through thick and thin.

Not really sure Premat is up to the task. He and Tander both started on the back row of the grid for different reasons but while Tander was up near the front before handing the car over to Gis Premat, only made up a handful of places in a car that has been the quickest all season long. He should have been eating up the back markers. Just made Scott's job that much harder and then the pit crew error earned him a 15 second penalty.

Anyway, a championship is a championship!

Full marks to Gis for his sportsmanship accepting responsibility for an error and publicly stating that the other guy should not have been penalised.

Offline Aussiecv8

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 67 Mustang Coupe

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Congrats to Scotty Mac and DJR Penske
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
Yeah Coulthard holding up the field under the safety car at Bathurst was disappointing but I can't help noting that Triple 8 are pretty good rule benders theselves and prize whingers when things don't go their way.

The engine having too much valve lift - the smart money is on the engine builder making a mistake rather than a deliberate attempt to make more power by breaking the rules. In fact the dyno tests CAMS put the engine through did not find that the torque limits in the rules had been exceeded by the engine in question, i.e. the marginal extra valve lift did not provide an advantage.

But rules are rules.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »
Yeah Coulthard holding up the field under the safety car at Bathurst was disappointing but I can't help noting that Triple 8 are pretty good rule benders theselves and prize whingers when things don't go their way.

The engine having too much valve lift - the smart money is on the engine builder making a mistake rather than a deliberate attempt to make more power by breaking the rules. In fact the dyno tests CAMS put the engine through did not find that the torque limits in the rules had been exceeded by the engine in question, i.e. the marginal extra valve lift did not provide an advantage.

But rules are rules.
I reckon the guy was totally embarrassed yesterday they talked to him about the penalty. Terrible management by the team on a couple of issues at the big race. Don't like the win at any cost mentality :sick:
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline jiffy

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
so - my buddy knows Steve Amos (DJR engine builder) - the valve lift was within spec (0.706 of lift on a limit of 0.710) when he built the motor, but the team changed the rockers at or before Bathurst and the new rockers (within manufacturing tolerances, but those tolerances add up) put the lift out of spec (0.7135) - the team measured them (and I think so did AVESCO or whatever they're called) and they were fine, but when Scotty won and the fact that DJR had pulled the motor after Qualifying AVESCO thought they would rip and strip both motors.

The race motor was fine, the qualifying engine had high lift on 5 cylinders so they put it on the dyno and it's performance was within spec (so no advantage) and the issue that had caused DJR to pull the motor on the Saturday night (high water pressure) was seen on the dyno (water vapour venting from the oil breather). Indeed, the most likely cylinders at the track to have lift checked on are 1 & 5 - front of the motor and people are people - so if you were going to cheat, you wouldn't use these cylinders - and they were 2 of the 5 cylinders out of spec...

Steve Amos was ill and couldn't attend the stewards hearing, but made the point that the measurement of the lift did not have a defined process or a defined tool, and therefore different results could be obtained depending upon which setup was used - this in itself is a problem that Supercars needs to address...

So, in some respects, DJR were lucky that the motor was seen to be expiring as either it would have lunched itself on the track during the race or if it lasted and AVESCO pulled and checked it, then DJR would have been excluded from the results....

So - cheating? No. Bad luck? Yes. Good luck? Yes. Expensive? OMG yes...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:47:48 PM by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under contruction
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone
Black 63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:52:40 PM »
So there you have it...the reason I have lost interest in V8 Supercars. Back in the old days there were competition between the brands and it all came down to who built a better engine. There were 6 cylinder Toranas against 6 cylinder hemi chargers against 351 v8 and 350 chevs. It all made the difference because win on Sunday sell on Monday was the thing. Today it all comes down to driver technique with every car running the same drive train, same suspension, same tyres wrapped in slightly different body with the badge to match. Boring.....   
Click Banner

Offline Aussiecv8

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 67 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 05:34:25 PM »
Is there a pattern here? 

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/joey-logano-penalty-win-encumbered-two-ways-look-penske-nascar-cheating-scandal-050417

Shame really, all the chatter has detracted from Scott's achievements as a driver throughout the year.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
 I hear you Chris, the same can be said for F1, boring, as the late John Clarke once said, "It's not a race, it's a procession" its not won on the track, it's won in the pits,  Regardless congrats to Scotty Mac and DJR for a stellar year,

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 10:24:17 PM »
I much prefer watching the bikes race, especially the Moto3 where they can go from 1st to 5th on a single corner  :therethere:

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs