Alternator alignment and other dodgey invoices

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Alternator alignment and other dodgey invoices  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Megzee67

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Michael
  • Car: 1967 Mustang Coupe
Alternator alignment and other dodgey invoices
« on: September 26, 2019, 12:39:57 PM »
Hi Gents,
How would a new water pump on a new Ford Racing Crate engine effect Alternator belt alignment?
I was recently invoiced by a Brisbane based restoration shop for the following.
1. Alternator found to be misaligned
2. Remove and machined spacer - 3.5 hours
3. Reinstall Alternator - 1 hour
On review of the invoice, I was charged for a new water pump [ to replace the already new water pump]
Reason given: To rectify Alternator alignment issue.
How could a Gilmer belt driven new water pump with a specified input shaft length aid or compromise alignment?
Oh, I have got plenty more dodgy invoicing tales to join this one,

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:10:28 PM by Megzee67 »
Most people don't listen with the intent to understand
They listen with the intent to reply.

Offline sms777

• Worked
Re: Alternator alignment and other dodgey invoices
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »
The problem is the balancer. It's a four bolt one to suit later than 69 engines. The only thing they had to do is replace it with an early three bolt one and all pulleys would have lined up correctly.
Click Banner

Offline Megzee67

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »
Thanks SMS 777
I thought there must have been a logical approach based on good engineering knowledge.

As I am based overseas and relied heavily on the honesty 'equation', I think I fell into the "out of sight- beef up the invoice with BS" trap. :evilone:
After several more questionable invoices based on even more questionable findings and labour charges, I finally had my car picked up from the guy.....and surprise, surprise, the alternator was in the boot... :tissue:

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 11:49:30 PM »
Exactly what spacer did they machine. The labor for everything looks like it should have been 1/2 of what they charged you, especially if they did not remove the water pump, but since the alt was not installed  if you paid with a credit card you can possibly have the charges reversed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:53:17 PM by barnett468 »

Offline Megzee67

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
Still trying to locate the mystical spacer and all invoices were paid immediately on receipt by direct debit.....except the one requesting 5000 advance payment for the project kitty?
When I did question the reasoning for certain scope of works, I was met with begrudging replies or silence, which prompted me to end our "business relationship"....
I am not going to lower myself to a "Name & Shame" but the shop came across as top notch with a hourly rate to match...

Lesson learnt....Water pumps cannot be used as a belt adjustment mechanism.

Thanks for the input.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 03:18:56 PM »
Its not uncommon to have these alignment issues when mixing parts, particularly with later high performance balancers . often need a spacer to suit the pullies you want to use.

Offline Megzee67

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
well noted and understood thanks Shaun...

Always learning....My initial point was that the water pump played no part in the misalignment or rectification issue..

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 02:18:12 AM »
I am not going to lower myself to a "Name & Shame" but the shop came across as top notch with a hourly rate to match...

Naming shops that have done dubios work etc, is a benefit to others that read these posts so they can either avoid them or at least be on their guard if they choose to deal with them. Not naming them is like driving around a blind corner and into a hole in the road you couldn't see then simply letting other people drive into the same hole, some of whom may even be your friends.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 09:50:01 AM »
well noted and understood thanks Shaun...

Always learning....My initial point was that the water pump played no part in the misalignment or rectification issue..

some pumps are shorter

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »
 :welcome:

Offline mussy65

• Worked
    • http://nsw.mustang.org.au
  • Name: Phil
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »
Naming shops that have done dubios work etc, is a benefit to others that read these posts so they can either avoid them or at least be on their guard if they choose to deal with them.

Barnett, could not agree more with you but it is better to name the shonks privately or say nothing and (loudly) praise the efforts of the better ones.  I say this only because defamation laws can work against the aggrieved customer if he cannot fully justify his complaints.  When a third party joins in with negative comments (which are often only based on hearsay) then they also leave themselves very open to a law suit.  Likewise, if the owner of a web site or forum allows derogatory (or defamatory) comment to be published, then they too may be embroiled in legal action.  Australia has introduced some very strong rules regarding social media / website comments designed to eliminate scurrilous commentary against individuals.

As a work around, it might be good to simply name the workshop as a place where work has been done with the addendum that a personal reference will be given privately to anyone who cares to ask.  We will in time get to appreciate that means a truthful summary of their (not satisfactory) performance will be given without the fear of legal repercussions which arise when the comments are made publicly.  We just need to be in tune with our own self preservation.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:53:44 PM by mussy65 »

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs