Ford 200 overheating only at idle

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ford 200 overheating only at idle  (Read 734 times)

Offline johny87

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Ford 200 overheating only at idle
« on: January 01, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »
Recently I've been having trouble with my 1966 mustang with a ford 200 ci 6cyl overheating in traffic and turning off.

Things I've done to attempt to fix this:
Replaced thermostat
Checked for blown head gasket (not blown)
Replaced the brass radiator with an aluminum one.
Replaced the temp gauge
Removed clutch fan and replaced with two 9inch spal puller electric fans (due to space restrictions)

When the above didn't work, due it the overheating only occurring at idle in traffic (air flow issue?) I installed 2x8inch spal pusher fans on the front of the radiator.
I just turned the car on and let it idle for 40mins at which point it overheated again.

I'm now thinking it could be a timing issue but I'm really grasping at straws and would love some input.

Thanks.

Edited: to add car model/year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:01:30 PM by johny87 »

Offline aussie trev

• Worked
  • you must have toys
  • Name: trevor
Re: Ford 200 overheating only at idle
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:58:35 PM »
I would check the water pump. If the impeller blades are rusted away you have a reduced water flow

Offline johny87

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 07:27:32 PM »
I should have mentioned the engine was reconditioned in august 2018 new water pump/fuel pump ect.

Won't have rusted out by now (I hope xD) but it could be can an issue with the water pump, you could still be right.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 09:06:38 PM »
 Just to clarify, has it been overheating since the rebuild, or was it overheating before rebuild, if only since the rebuild, the problem would have to be the engine/water pump as that is the only thing that has changed, wrong or incorrectly installed head or water pump gaskets, incorrect water pump or thermostat, etc, more information needed.....,

Offline johny87

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 09:31:55 PM »
Before the rebuilt the engine was in no state to do anything.

It's only something I've noticed recently as I have never really driven in traffic before normally just cruise or go to the coast.
No trouble with open roads.

Hard for me to say if these things were incorrectly installed as I paid a mechanic to do this, is there any way I can tell myself?

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 10:51:24 PM »
Do you have a thermal heat gun or some sort of temp gauge, if so, measure the temp at the radiator inlet hose when the engine is warming up and you can tell if the thermostat is fully open by comparing temps at the thermostat housing and the radiator inlet. also check the bottom return hose temp and post the difference in temp.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
I just turned the car on and let it idle for 40mins at which point it overheated again.

I'm now thinking it could be a timing issue but I'm really grasping at straws and would love some input.

1. Of course it did, do NOT let your car sit and idle for 40 MINUTES.

2. With the engine warm, advance the ignition timing 4 degrees and listen to hear if the rpm increases noticeably or if it starts to run slightly rough.

If it idles noticeably higher, reduce the idle, turn the engine off, tighten the distributor, restart engine and see if it turns over more slowly.

If it idles noticeably higher with the timing advanced, go drive it. Do NOT let it sit and idle for 40 friggen minutes. Listen for pinking when accelerating.

Post the results.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »
I should have mentioned the engine was reconditioned in august 2018...

How far was it bored out?

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 08:58:25 PM »
What was the history of the engine before the rebuild? as you donít seem to have much of an impression of it, and what was done to it?

Offline GIDDEEUP

• Pony
  • Name: David
  • Car: MY17 Mustang GT
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 01:24:29 AM »
Just a thought had this problem once on another early ford and turned out rad cap was wrong length as there is short neck or long neck. Just a thought

Visit Custom Mustangs