1966 starting fault

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1966 starting fault  (Read 719 times)

Offline GR8PONY

• P Plates
  • Penny & Anthony
  • Name: Anthony
1966 starting fault
« on: August 19, 2019, 12:15:15 PM »
Hello group,
I have had ongoing starting issues with my 1966 hardtop. Up until now it has taken up to 20 attempts when cold to get the motor to turn over (just get a single "click" when turning the ignition key) but it has always eventually started. When the motor is warm, there is no issue - starts first turn. Over the past 18 months I have replaced the alternator, battery, ignition switch and neutral safety switch. Have had the starting solenoid and starter motor checked and deemed to be OK. Now this week it refuses to start/turn over no matter how many times I attempt to start it. Still just getting a single "click" when turning the ignition key. Its doing my head in!!! So over to you guys...... Any ideas what the fault could be or am I best getting an old school auto sparky to come out and look at it. Live in Perth. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:17:57 PM by GR8PONY »
1966 Code A hardtop Coupe (San Jose)

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
Re: 1966 starting fault
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
If it will reach take the positive cable off the battery side of the solenoid and push it against the starter side of the solenoid ( it will spark ) if the starter runs then it will be a faulty solenoid. Another thing to check is your ground cables are clean and have a good contact.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:06:20 PM by unilec5544 »

Offline Wade

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Wade
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »
This is interesting, my 65 is doing the exact same thing. My mechanic changed my fuel pump a few weeks ago but has not made any difference. He assumed the fuel was somehow retreating back to tank and it had to pick it up again? It only happens if it has sat for over a week.
Sometimes I get the clicking sound when I turn the key also but if I move the transmission through the gears(Automatic) it usually starts to turn the engine over after that.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 04:44:37 PM »
This is interesting, my 65 is doing the exact same thing. My mechanic changed my fuel pump a few weeks ago but has not made any difference. He assumed the fuel was somehow retreating back to tank and it had to pick it up again? It only happens if it has sat for over a week.
Sometimes I get the clicking sound when I turn the key also but if I move the transmission through the gears(Automatic) it usually starts to turn the engine over after that.

That sounds like an issue with the neutral safety switch.

Offline yianni351

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »
Put a test light or volt meter on the starter motor power supply terminal & see if it lights up or get around 12 volts when you hear the click. that test will help with diagnosis.

Visit Custom Mustangs