LED tail lights. Front indicators flash 1/2 speed

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: LED tail lights. Front indicators flash 1/2 speed  (Read 354 times)

Offline sjsb1965

• Pony
  • I'm new here
LED tail lights. Front indicators flash 1/2 speed
« on: August 14, 2019, 08:41:17 PM »
I installed LED tail lights and they work great. The only problem is the front indicators flash at half the pace of the rear. The globes in the front are still standard . So do I have to change the front globes out to LED and or is it the flasher can ?
Once again thanks for your help.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
Re: LED tail lights. Front indicators flash 1/2 speed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »
I am by no means an expert on electricals, but I do know that LEDs work instantaneously as apposed to the old incandescent globes, giving the appearance of a delayed response, ( this is very obvious following an old car with a new trailer indicating )
It's just the nature of new verses old, don't know if there is a solution other than updating the front lights too,  Andrew..,

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
Easy task to swap out the fronts for LEDs but then it's 99% likely you'll need to swap the flasher can for an LED compatible unit.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
I'm not an expert on electrickery either, but in my experience of fitting LEDs to bikes and cars, as long as you have at least one globe in your circuit it will work OK.
If you go to all LEDs you have to fit a LED flasher unit.
When I fitted them to one of my bikes, I had a globe wired into the circuit and mounted under the seat to provide the resistance needed....looked a bit strange when people saw my backside flashing at them at night.   :lol:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:57 AM »
you will need leds front and back and a LED flasher, the current draw is less so it confuses the flasher can.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
you will need leds front and back and a LED flasher

Just make sure you get a flasher with a decent simulated click noise - some of them are god-awful...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Azz67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 02:25:58 PM »
I did the LED mod just last week and noticed the same thing, the fronts flicker at a reduced rate. Will have to get LEDs for the front now by the looks of it.

I bought these ones and they're pretty good. The blinker sound is great, at least I can hear it now, not like the old one.
https://www.harrysclassicsmustangparts.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=7791

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
I had a look at mine today - LED kit in the back and standard globes in the front - and they flash both ends in absolute unison. When I put the LED kit in the rear it came with an LED flasher unit which I installed and removed the original one.

Offline mirage

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 10:32:01 PM »
My front indicators also do the same thing. I tried LED lights in the front but they didn't work at all. So I live with half speed indicators on the front!

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs