whats a 69 mach 428 worth

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: whats a 69 mach 428 worth  (Read 390 times)

Offline 69boss9

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
whats a 69 mach 428 worth
« on: August 14, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
This interests me...
they are an unusual car the big block and not everyone's cup of tea but prices seem to slew all over the place... common matching no's 100+ asks..
few guys on here sit for a while and wait.. seen a few 428's come and go.. is there a magic 80's range??
what else effects value on them?
aside from obvious build plates and fender tags, how much difference does documentation make?? service records?

cheers

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
Re: whats a 69 mach 428 worth
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:54:28 AM »
in the US, an original engine car is worth more than wrong date codes with original bill of sale and window sticker.

428 4 speed with shaker and ac is worth the most unless one finds a 428 shaker 4 speed scj.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »
As you say, prices are all over the place but if you're talking R codes (factory shaker) then $90-100K seems to be around the mark for a good driver quality car.  Matching numbers everything and fully restored is more like $120-130K.

These are selling prices rather than asking prices which are two different things...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline jiffy

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
There are a few things that affect the prices - other than condition which will differ depending on what car you're looking at.

Originality - people seem to like original-spec cars, rather than modified ones.
Put in a 5-spd? Custom paint job? Unlikely to be worth more than a restored car.

Colour: There are a few 'hero colours' that attract more buyers - Candy-apple Red, Black, Acapulco Blue, Silver Jade etc.
There are a few not-so desirable colours too which affect value: Meadowlark Yellow, Pastel Grey, New Lime
There are run-of-the-will colours which are ok but aren't "sought-after" that slow selling a little: Black Jade, Royal Maroon, Indian Fire, Champagne Gold, White....

Auto vs manual: Auto cars are more likely to have their original drivetrain, this adds value, but 4-speed cars are more sought after (they are a muscle car after all) and have different suspension to auto cars (staggered rear shocks).

CJ vs SCJ - the 3.91:1 and 4.30:1 rear gears triggered installation of the SCJ version. Not any more powerful but more desirable and valuable.

Options - drum brake non PS cars are not that sought after. A/C is desirable especially in Australia but only available in 1970 as a 4-speed (they made 13 of them IIRC), A/C didn't come on CJ 4-speed cars in 68/69. PS/PB cars are common.

Hope that helps....
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under contruction
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone
Black 63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
I have a numbers matching Candy Apple Red 4 speed, PB, shaker car. I put AC in as I want to drive and enjoy the car. Which I do!!! Not  a Concourse restoration but a full job done on it in 1012. I would not sell for anything less than 120g. That's not what I'm asking, that is what I would sell it for if somebody came up and offered it to me. Value depends a lot on presentation, 80g would get you a non matching numbers car in a non desirable colour, in driver quality condition IMO.

Offline 69boss9

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »
There are a few things that affect the prices - other than condition which will differ depending on what car you're looking at.

Originality - people seem to like original-spec cars, rather than modified ones.
Put in a 5-spd? Custom paint job? Unlikely to be worth more than a restored car.

Colour: There are a few 'hero colours' that attract more buyers - Candy-apple Red, Black, Acapulco Blue, Silver Jade etc.
There are a few not-so desirable colours too which affect value: Meadowlark Yellow, Pastel Grey, New Lime
There are run-of-the-will colours which are ok but aren't "sought-after" that slow selling a little: Black Jade, Royal Maroon, Indian Fire, Champagne Gold, White....

Auto vs manual: Auto cars are more likely to have their original drivetrain, this adds value, but 4-speed cars are more sought after (they are a muscle car after all) and have different suspension to auto cars (staggered rear shocks).

CJ vs SCJ - the 3.91:1 and 4.30:1 rear gears triggered installation of the SCJ version. Not any more powerful but more desirable and valuable.

Options - drum brake non PS cars are not that sought after. A/C is desirable especially in Australia but only available in 1970 as a 4-speed (they made 13 of them IIRC), A/C didn't come on CJ 4-speed cars in 68/69. PS/PB cars are common.

Hope that helps....

very helpful..
big thanks jiffy :thumb: :cheers: :evilone: :flag:

Visit Custom Mustangs