Power Steering 67

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Power Steering 67  (Read 737 times)

Offline Lesc67

• Stallion
  • Enjoying the Drive
Power Steering 67
« on: July 15, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
Good afternoon, l have just replaced the Control value, Slave cylinder and all the hose to my power steering. I found that it is not as smooth as the the old parts, to the extent, it has a shudder at slow speed.
As well after 600 miles l have blown another lower hose, putting the wind up me as smoke poured out from under the car.
Can anyone tell me what the vibration might be and WHERE can i get hose that last! and approximate cost.
Thanks
Les Carter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:18:34 PM by Lesc67 »

Offline sms777

• Worked
Re: Power Steering 67
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »
G'day Les,
Every Mustang owner's nightmare....power assisted steering. It is not a true power steering system because it uses a manual box with a hydraulic ram and control valve with messy hoses that get caught in everything that gets in the way and hangs under the car so if you lowered the suspension two inches it will all get ripped off as soon as you hit a speed hump.
Have you considered investing in a Borgeson true power steering conversion? It is a modern power steering box with integrated valveing and replaces your original steering box. All that crap hanging under your car gets eliminated and no more messy hoses. It's expensive but worth every cent in the long run..... :thumb:   
Click Banner

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
Make sure you have the hoses going the correct way . I bought a 69 Mach 1 a few years ago and the steering wheel shuddered at low speed and that was the problem .  It worked ok but the wheel moved back and forward a bit as I said .

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:42:29 PM »
As per above, make doubly sure you have those two short hoses the right way around, they mustn't be crossed over.

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »
Was it bled correctly full lock to lock? Any hydraulic system will suffer with air trapped in system

Stock pump? Condition? Fluid type used?

How/where did hose fail - impact damage? In real terms 1600 psi in these systems is pretty low compared with industrial hydraulics ( 5000 - 6000 psi) and general fluid power standards dictate a 4 x safety factor to burst pressure so often an install, operation or age factor involved.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 02:47:11 AM »
You are in steering hell. If the system has no air in it, the shudder is caused by either the control valve, or a faulty pump or the wrong fluid.

As far as the hoses go, it is best to use original ones if you can find them.

Where did the hose leak from?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:51:46 AM by barnett468 »

Offline Lesc67

• Stallion
  • Enjoying the Drive
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:19:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice will check the hoses and consider the up grade.  :cheers:

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs