door not closing properly

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: door not closing properly  (Read 761 times)

Offline thehay95

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Jack Bon
  • Car: audi
door not closing properly
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:12:00 AM »
Hi
I am nearly finished my 69 mustang mach 1 i have an issue with the door closing and lining up .Before i put the  wheather strip on the door it was closing and lining up properly after i put this freakin wheather strip on the door it started not linning up and it does not shut right (have to slam it hard) ajusted the striker many times waited for a month with the door closed to bed in still no fix has anyone had that issue with this ooh also on the drivers door it looks open but its shut ..
P.s cant remember what brand of wheather strip is ...

Thanks in advanced

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
Re: door not closing properly
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:54:38 PM »
The better rubber gaskets are Daniel Carpenter, but you have already fitted new ones. You can use a rubber softener, such as the one in the link which is a bit expensive, but I have known people have good results with it. I'm sure you can find a similar product in your state, just try to find one that is silicon free, the last thing you want is silicon on your paint.

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/buy/rm5/rubber-magic-spray-400g-pressure-pack
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:57:40 PM by unilec5544 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 03:23:23 AM »
All aftermarket rubber is much harder than the original and typically causes some fitment issues. Other than the rubber softener mentioned which I have never used, or cutting the rubber to make it thinner which would be a challenge, I don't know of any other cure and most people simply end up living with it.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »
That Rare spares rubber spray actually does help some what. They had to make it as a lot of the rubbers to supply Holdens and Falcons are bit ordinary, well at least they used to be, when I played with such cars.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
I've used the Rare Spares Rubber Magic and as Shaun says it does make some difference. When I put the new rubbers on mine both doors needed a very hefty shove to close properly. With multiple applications of this stuff the driver's door is now more or less "normal" but the passenger side which gets way less use still needs more force to shut it properly but less than at the start.

Visit Custom Mustangs