My Long-Term Project

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My Long-Term Project  (Read 7852 times)

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
  • Name: Jeff
  • Car: '67 Mustang Fastback
Re: My Long-Term Project
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
Hi everyone, hope you are all coping OK with the Corona-lockdown!  I've not been able to get over to Rai's to check out progress, but fortunately he sent through a few shots of the fabrication of the Mini-Tubs:  First image shows RH Wheel-House from underneath, just held together with Clecos and G-clamps.   

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
These images show the Wheel-Houses from inside.  On the RH side view you can see the top of the Shock Turret tacked in place.  When you see both sides together it shows just how much wider than stock they are.  Just in case you are wondering, no there won't be a back seat in this thing...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:56:04 PM by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM »
Time for a post lock-down up-date.  Not a lot has happened over the last six months.  Main thing is the rear Mini-Tubs and Shock-Turrets are welded in place, though still not finished.  First image shows the RH work in progress from the rear, looking through the boot.  Next shot shows LH side from inside the cabin.  Then the RH side from outside looking through the Wheel-Arch.  Finally the diff assembly is shown from underneath with Suspension at full droop.  Although we've lost a lot of time, I'm still very happy with the way it's shaping up.  The rear end will have more than adequate travel and will be completely adjustable in every parameter.  Next job, will be the adjustable tubular rear Sway-Bar.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 07:39:21 PM by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2020, 06:17:36 PM »
Meanwhile, we've started the Engine build process!  First thing is the acquisition of some goodies.  A new Scat Pro-Series forged lightweight, Crankshaft with a stroke of 4.100" will swing Scat forged H-Beam Con-Rods of 6.2" length, topped off with a set of Mahle forged PowerPak Cleveland Pistons.  This will result in a capacity of 418 Cu In or 6.8 Litres with a compression ratio of 10.5:1.  We will check clearances etc with a dummy assembly, then it will be off to the Engine Machine Shop for a full neutral balance...   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:12:42 PM by Haggspeed »

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2020, 10:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the update Jeff

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2020, 08:57:30 PM »
G'day, thought I'd show some of the Engine Block preparation.  This will give you an idea of what's involved when putting a big-stroke Crank into a stock Ford 351 Windsor Block.  NB: I acquired this Block from a previous Engine Builder (who proved very unreliable).  At the time it was a good find, in that it was a standard bore 1974 casting in very good condition.  Of the original 351 Windsors, I'm of the opinion these Truck Blocks were the best, with slightly thicker and taller decks at 9.503", with quite a lot of meat around the bottom end too.  However, if I was starting this now I'd get an after-market Dart, World or Ford Racing Block.  They are heaps stronger everywhere and offer the added advantage of the bigger 4.125" bore and the Cleveland size Main Bearing Journals.  Oh well, maybe next time!

I should also point out, some of this work was done a few years ago.

First three images show clearance grinding at the base of the cylinder bores and sump-rails to provide adequate clearance for the rotating assembly.  Everything fits nicely and this sort of attention to detail should prevent issues in the future.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:25:07 PM by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »
The next image shows some of the deburring and clean-up that was done to the block.  All areas where oil drain-back might be hindered were deburred and polished with a wire wheel.  Note also, all edges have been given a light deburring too.  Next the block was sent to the Machine Shop, where it was bored 0.030" over, four-bolt Main-Caps fitted & tunnel bored, Decks trued, and all Bearing clearances set and checked.  Then the upper internals were painted in a special non-stick paint to aid oil drain-back (second shot).  The final shot shows the Crankshaft dummy-fitted again.  For the money, I think the Scat Crank is really quite nice with lightening holes on all crank pins, centre gun-drilling and areo-contoured counterweights, everything looks good.  ARP Head Studs also fitted and external engine paint applied.  NB: This is not Ford Blue but a solid enamel version of the car's exterior body colour.     
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:39:00 PM by Haggspeed »