69 Convertible Project by HRTZ65

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 69 Convertible Project by HRTZ65  (Read 4957 times)

Offline HRTZ65

• Pony
Re: 69 Convertible Project by HRTZ65
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »
Body repairs coming along.

Started the work on the engine rebuild. Step 1 stripping it down ready to send to machine shop.

Machine shop feedback not great. After cleaning in the tank and inspecting the block, this engine is too far gone.

I do have a 2nd block sitting here so have sent this off to see if it can be used instead. Fingers crossed otherwise will need to think about Plan B.

Will let you know how i go next week.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
 Curious?  When you say the engine is too far gone, you mean the block or engine as a whole?  If it was the block, was it cracked, rusted out or just too worn in the cylinders,  Doing a rebuild myself and all i kept was the block, replaced everything else, even the pan..,

Offline HRTZ65

• Pony
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »
Thanks for the contribution reborn67

The engine block already had 40 thou over pistons and the cylinder walls would need another bore. The other 289 block i have is in better nick. i'm no engine expert so asking lots of questions and learning as i go.

Offline HRTZ65

• Pony
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »
Been a busy week on the 69 convertible project.

AOD - after lengthy discussions with people more experienced in 60 & 70 muscle cars than I and arguing over the pros and cons of the AOD I've decided to continue on this path. I was then introduced to a transmission yoda who my contacts have used for many years and highly recommended. He has an AOD in his shop that he will completely rebuild with upgraded value bodies and other goodies to make a strong solid shifting AOD for my application.

Diff - Now that the transmission is sorted onto the diff. I'm going with 3.55 gears with true track centre. Its an 8 inch diff that came as additional parts when i bought the car. It will take some work getting it back to "as new" condition. Issues found bent axles, and collapsed spring mount. Both can be fixed. A drainage plug will be machined into the casing for improved serviceability and other upgraded parts to improve its reliability.

Engine - The machine shop has been too busy to assess the other block. They should get to it next week.

Brakes? Still can't make up my mind. I want 4 wheel disc brakes with nice red calipers. Looks is just as important as performance. I think it is down to Baer S4 or Wilwood. There are so many wilwood options its hard to work out which ones to choose. It also looks like all the suppliers in Australia don't have red caliper stock in Australia. I do like the Baer brakes but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Body update.The original car had terrible gaps between boot lid and rear quarters. If the gaps was set right for the boot lid across the panel on the back seat end then the left side would touch the quarter panel and the right side you could stick your finger through. With a little caressing the body shop got these results without unpicking the rear quarters.

You can also see that body work to flatten rear quarters is underway.

i'm really pleased with the boot fitment

Offline Jason67

• Pony
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: S Code
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
 :thumb:
The boot looks much better now

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs