Author Topic: Ignition / Spark Plug Leads  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Ryan
Re: Ignition / Spark Plug Leads
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
don't buy budget silicone racing plug wires.

taylors are cut to fit and are good wires.

you can get concourse original style wires if you want the original factory look.

borg warner (BWD) replacement wires are good but will be a little longer than orig.

buy some electrolytic grease and put some in the plug boot before you install them or you may never get then off the plug again.

What do you consider "budget silicone racing plug wires"?

Taylors (what I have currently) - This is only available in the US. Hence, I'm trying to find something local. I have nothing else I wish to purchase to combine shipping costs so purchasing from the US ain't all that viable.

I think this is the same for BWDs as well.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »
NGK plug leads are available at Burson's and other motor spares retailers. Early falcon 289 leads fit my 65 just fine and have done every thing they are supposed to.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 03:00:36 AM »
What do you consider "budget silicone racing plug wires"?

Non, big name brands.

Some good silicone ones are ACCELL, MOROSO, and MSD etc, but they are way overkill and won't give you any more power or last any longer than regular ones.

Bosch, AC DELCO, SMP (Standard Motor Products), and the NGK's that mcarnage mentioned are also fine.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 03:04:05 AM »
I've been cautioned to make sure I have a reasonable tool kit to do the job.

A razor blade, a pair of pliers, and some basic skill is all that is needed to make custom wires.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
Where did you get them from?

And do you have the part number of what you installed?

Do the leads go around the rocker cover nicely?

Part # 708105  https://pertronix.com/pertronix-708105-flame-thrower-spark-plug-wires-8-cyl-custom-fit-black.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

While I purchased the ignitor and coil locally I have a feeling the spark plug wires were from the US, Summit from memory, so not sure if they are available here.

They are a little longer than stock so would go around the valve cover.

8R01C
65B T 6D 04C 71 2 W
1 of 1 1968 coupe.

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
NGK plug leads are available at Burson's and other motor spares retailers. Early falcon 289 leads fit my 65 just fine and have done every thing they are supposed to.

Thanks!

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »
Non, big name brands.

Some good silicone ones are ACCELL, MOROSO, and MSD etc, but they are way overkill and won't give you any more power or last any longer than regular ones.

Bosch, AC DELCO, SMP (Standard Motor Products), and the NGK's that mcarnage mentioned are also fine.

Yup - noted... I dont need anything fancy for sure.

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
Part # 708105  https://pertronix.com/pertronix-708105-flame-thrower-spark-plug-wires-8-cyl-custom-fit-black.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

While I purchased the ignitor and coil locally I have a feeling the spark plug wires were from the US, Summit from memory, so not sure if they are available here.

They are a little longer than stock so would go around the valve cover.

Thanks for the info! Summit has been very good in helping with the details as well. Only issue is shipping it here - all up will cost no less than AUD$200! with a huge part of that as shipping cost alone.

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
A razor blade, a pair of pliers, and some basic skill is all that is needed to make custom wires.

Good set of crimps?

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »
Have you considered these:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c8oz-12259-b-2q67.html

Works out at less than AUD $100 delivered.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
Thanks all! I will have a look at all the latest ones suggested - I will need to go to a store and measure the lengths myself as I have not been able to get that information online.

What I have done now is to replace by Coil Lead - that is only a 340mm length lead but was reading 3450 ohms! A new one read 540ohms which is more inline with spec... I have another 3 leads (out of 8) that is JUST on the borderline of the spec but i suspect will not be a major issue on the short term.

Now, I have checked my Coil - it is a Bosch GT40R or a GT40 (unsure which one exactly as I need to remove the Coil from the car to see the model number but have yet to do so). I am getting a Primary Resistance of 3ohms and a Secondary Resistance of 16K ohms.

• Are these readings OK?
  • I have replaced the points with an electronic ignition system in the standard distributor cap. Is the Bosh GT40R suitable? Or should I be using a GT40?
  • I am getting confused with what coil SHOULD I be using with electronic ignition.. what resistors and ballasts are, etc... any sites that provides a simple explanation? 

Thanks for being patient with me whilst i learn the ropes.... electrical stuff gets to me everytime!

Offline 289 vert

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
If your electronic ignition system needs 12v, use the GT40.
If it needs a resistance wire, or ballast resistor, use the GT40R

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
If your electronic ignition system needs 12v, use the GT40.
If it needs a resistance wire, or ballast resistor, use the GT40R

I have confirmed that my electronic ignition system needs 12V.

However, from measurements with a multimeter, I also have a resistor inline somewhere. I have not found it yet but presumably at the back of the ignition switch (under the dashboard).

Has anyone done this before?

Do I just either remove the resistor wire and just run a new line from the ignition switch to a GT40 Coil?

What happens, assuming I have an inline resistor but use a GT40 Coil?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 11:49:06 AM »
The wire is the resistor  in the middle, its a pink wire you can bypass that or use the ign wire to drive a relay and switch straight from the Battery

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
Yes, I have bypassed the pink resistor wire. I am running a PerTronix Flamethrower III coil on my 66 289 which requires 12 volts.  At the back of the ignition switch you should find a pink wire (not bright pink but a dull pink - may have been bright pink when new) that is slightly thicker than other wires, plugged into a short wire that goes to the ignition switch.  You can simply unplug the pink wire, tuck it away, then plug in a new wire and run it straight to the coil. I did not remove any of the existing wires (just tucked them away) in case I wish to return the ignition system to stock.

Alternatively, as Shaun says, you can use the ignition wire to trigger a relay, using power from the battery.

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:55 PM »
So I think in summary regarding the OP's original question about which coil, if one retains the stock Ford wiring with inbuilt 'pink' resistor wire then one must use the GT40R coil.
Not the GT40 coil which I had fitted in error years ago, only to discover just recently - thanks to a friend's investigation with multimeter - was putting out less than 9v. Switch to the R coil, car starts much easier now.....

Offline 289 vert

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 10:16:38 AM »
^^^ Shaunp, Gallop and 67FBGT have nailed it.
The pink wire is usually covered in the remnants of its original cloth braid.
Don't try to solder to it.

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »
Thanks!

So just to confirm my understanding with regards to the resistor wire:
  • At the back of the ignition switch - i.e. under the dash, there is a short piece of wire then a connection (bullet type?) where the pink resistor wire plugs in
  • Just unplug this resistor wire and run a new wire from there, out through the firewall, all the way to the Coil?

Questions:
  • Do I need to remove the ignition module from under the dash? I had a quick look last weekend and could see bugger all.
  • What size wire should I be running?

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 08:00:25 AM »
So I think in summary regarding the OP's original question about which coil, if one retains the stock Ford wiring with inbuilt 'pink' resistor wire then one must use the GT40R coil.
Not the GT40 coil which I had fitted in error years ago, only to discover just recently - thanks to a friend's investigation with multimeter - was putting out less than 9v. Switch to the R coil, car starts much easier now.....

Thanks! Very clear to me now.

I have also read that "most of the time", using a GT40R with the inbuilt "pink" resistor, will work anyway although the electronic ignition module specifies a 12v constant requirement?

My module an "AccuSpark" brand.

Offline 289 vert

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »
"Just unplug this resistor wire and run a new wire from there, out through the firewall, all the way to the Coil?" Yes.
There is no module under the dash ... it's in the distributor.
The same size wire as is on your coil now is ample.
Primary resistance of 3ohms is a GT40 coil.
http://www.accuspark.co.uk/fitting_guide.html

Offline Me!

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »
Noted.

Now the next question... I can barely see the back of my ignition to find this resistor wire... Tried using mirror and sticking my head under the dash but gosh it's hard. My hands are too big to reach in too!

What's the easiest way to get to all these wiring harness under the dash?

The wires of course looks all convoluted and in a mess and it's hard for me to even follow a single piece of wire.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »

What's the easiest way to get to all these wiring harness under the dash?

Remove the instrument cluster.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
Just use a relay to switch battery volts to the ignition

Offline 289 vert

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »
Have a look at the install diagrams I posted. If it was installed per their directions, it could show resistance at the coil and still be correct for use with a GT40R coil.
How many wires do you have on the coil positive post? If one, it is probably wired correctly for an AccuSpark.

Visit Custom Mustangs