Author Topic: Lowering Springs for a '71  (Read 549 times)

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Lowering Springs for a '71
« on: February 14, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »
Anybody know what part number King Springs would give a small drop on a stock '71 fastback with a 351C? 

Looking to lower the front by an inch or so.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Dave Tee

• P Plates
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: Lowering Springs for a '71
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
King Springs told me that they don't do front springs for early Mustangs. I called because the set I purchased through Supercheap weren't right; one side of the car sat lower than the other.

The car was in the garage when I fitted them, and it wasn't until a couple of years later when it was finally on the road that I noticed the difference. I remember the guy at Supercheap assuring me that Falcon springs were the same... no, they aren't.

Anyway, I got a set with a 1 inch drop from Mustang Auto Parts here in Brisbane for $130, less than I paid for the wrong ones ($165 iirc). Sold the old ones on Gumtree.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
Yeah they do  you just have to buy the correct Falcon ones.  If you call Kings they will generally recommend a spring, I know what to put in early cars 65-70 but not sure on a 71. I'd take a guess on KFFL02 this a progresive spring, just a guess mind you KIngs are normally about $160-170 or so  they are also left and right handed normally. and will have left and right written on them in a LHD car reverses them

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:38 PM »
I got a set with a 1 inch drop from Mustang Auto Parts here in Brisbane for $130

Thanks for the info, were these the ones you bought?

https://mustangautoparts.com.au/products/coil-springs-performance-67-73

I know what to put in early cars 65-70 but not sure on a 71.

According to Scott Drake (not the most reliable source I know), standard small block springs are the same from '67-'73.  If that's true, I was happy with the drop using KFFL-0 on my '68 so maybe the same on the '71?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »
An 01 will be a touch higher than the 0 the 71 will be heavier in the nose with the Clevo

Visit Custom Mustangs