Author Topic: Thermo Fans  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Shep69

• Worked
Thermo Fans
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:19:21 PM »
My 69 gets a little hot when stuck in traffic with the A/C on. I was thinking about fitting a thermo fan/fans. Anyone have any recomendations on what fan will fit my radiator without to much trouble and will work.  My mustang has the factory standard 69 A/C radiator similar  to the big block units.

Thanks Mark.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Re: Thermo Fans
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »
For a big block style radiator a BF-FG Falcon single fan and shroud unit should be pretty close to a perfect fit.  You can pick them up from the wreckers for about $50 so not expensive at all.

I'm fitting one at the moment to a '71 M code car so if you're interested PM me for dimensions and clearances required.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
Exactly what fan do you have now?

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 10:05:51 AM »
Thanks Brian.

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
Barnett ,
My car is running the stock fan as its a factory 351w A/C car.  Running a 180 deg thermostat  . Radiator has had both tanks removed and cleaned out.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM »
How many blades?

Does it have a clutch?

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 08:07:22 PM »
5 Blades , No clutch.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »
5 Blades , No clutch.

Ah, ok, yeah, factory electric fans will help then.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
Does it have a clutch?

Just going a little OT, Barney what's your preference when it comes to fan clutches: engine speed or temperature sensitive?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline pgold

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
Hi Shep69. Have a look for thread started  on May 4 2013. Electric Fan Size. some good info Re falcon fans. I have fitted falcon twin fans to 24" rad in 69 sportsroof fitted with 351C.
cheers Paul.

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 12:19:21 AM »
that old thread mentioned earlier has some great info posted by Ash (who like me was on this forum a helluva lot back then...)
as a result of that thread i installed Ford mondeo twin fan setup and a big block radiator (approx 615mm wide) and these fit this radiator to the mm. with ample clearance to fan pulley. the built in resistor runs high and low speed. temp monitoring is done by tridon thermo switch TFS200 in thermostat housing with gas thread.  tridon high flow thermostat TT2000.
i wired up a 3 relay loom for low speed / high speed / high speed with AC on.
low speed on 92* off 87* engine temp, high speed override switch if needed.
reason i installed this setup? prior to engine rebuild i had stock radiator with stock factory AC fan. no engine temp issues but AC was barely cool when sitting in heavy sydney traffic on a hot day. the AC condensor relies on airflow to cool it so the more airflow the better which in turn reduces condenser heat being drawn straight through your radiator. these fans on high speed pull the engine temp down 8*.
this setup works flawlessly and look the part with great clearance per photo and my AC is brilliant. thats all i care about.

footnote: a 'big block' radiator isnt that big if a f'n 4 cyl mondeo has that same size radiator with these fans!

when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
  • Name: Kyle
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
Hey Griff, what year Mondeo are they from? From what I have read they are very similar to the AU fans but with a slightly smaller depth of shroud. I'm trying to work around a 67 big block radiator in a 65.

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »
that old thread mentioned earlier has some great info posted by Ash (who like me was on this forum a helluva lot back then...)
as a result of that thread i installed Ford mondeo twin fan setup and a big block radiator (approx 615mm wide) and these fit this radiator to the mm. with ample clearance to fan pulley. the built in resistor runs high and low speed. temp monitoring is done by tridon thermo switch TFS200 in thermostat housing with gas thread.  tridon high flow thermostat TT2000.
i wired up a 3 relay loom for low speed / high speed / high speed with AC on.
low speed on 92* off 87* engine temp, high speed override switch if needed.
reason i installed this setup? prior to engine rebuild i had stock radiator with stock factory AC fan. no engine temp issues but AC was barely cool when sitting in heavy sydney traffic on a hot day. the AC condensor relies on airflow to cool it so the more airflow the better which in turn reduces condenser heat being drawn straight through your radiator. these fans on high speed pull the engine temp down 8*.
this setup works flawlessly and look the part with great clearance per photo and my AC is brilliant. thats all i care about.

footnote: a 'big block' radiator isnt that big if a f'n 4 cyl mondeo has that same size radiator with these fans!

Cheers for the info Griff.
Any chance you know what year and the depth of the unit. From the radiator to my water pump  pulley I've only got about 90mm so its gonna be tight.
Did you have to get a new altinator to run the fans?

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:55:51 PM »
Hi Shep69. Have a look for thread started  on May 4 2013. Electric Fan Size. some good info Re falcon fans. I have fitted falcon twin fans to 24" rad in 69 sportsroof fitted with 351C.
cheers Paul.

Cheers Paul . I will have a look.

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »
I've tried doing a bit of research this morning and from what I can find but not 100% proven yet is that around 2002-11 or 12 mondeo had the same radiator, but petrol has single fan and diesel has twin. I read through the other thread and have scoured gumtree etc, found a couple of mondeo fans varying from $100-$250 while AU fans can be had for about $50. From what I can find they are very similar other than the mondeo might be a slightly lower profile. By how much I don't know.
Edit
Just went to mates workshop and he had a BA falcon there. Looks like the rad core size is approx 650w x 450h and the depth from the back face of the core to the back of the thermos looks be approx 85mm

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »
I've tried doing a bit of research this morning and from what I can find but not 100% proven yet is that around 2002-11 or 12 mondeo had the same radiator, but petrol has single fan and diesel has twin. I read through the other thread and have scoured gumtree etc, found a couple of mondeo fans varying from $100-$250 while AU fans can be had for about $50. From what I can find they are very similar other than the mondeo might be a slightly lower profile. By how much I don't know.
Edit
Just went to mates workshop and he had a BA falcon there. Looks like the rad core size is approx 650w x 450h and the depth from the back face of the core to the back of the thermos looks be approx 85mm

Kyle,
 These might work. Claim to be over 4000cfm and the size is pretty close .
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWIN-HQ-HJ-HX-HZ-WB-Holden-Twin-Shrouded-Thermo-Fan-12volt/112328657955?hash=item1a274f4c23

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
Dingo i have a 65GT so i can help guide you all the way with the entire setup from cutting the radiator support panel for the BB unit to a wiring schematic with high current relays / fuses. for me it has to look spot on, i’m a harsh judge on my own work!

the mondeo twin fans were from a later 90’s model. i initially rang around and prices varied up to $150 from a few wreckers. i got lucky at a pick and payless that had one mondeo in the yard so i pulled them with the wiring loom which makes it so much easier and less work to customise the wiring to suit. i paid $60 (!) but i couldn’t have cared if i’d paid 5 times that. they’re worth it for for the fit, performance and clearance they have.
i rewired them so the wiring ran along the bottom of the shroud not along top.
the radiator sits in XA (U shape) mounts below with a 69 top clamp.
these literally do fit the block block rad to the millimeter. every other fan combo i investigated wasn’t an exact fit, the shroud needs to seal firmly against the rad frame.
the hardest part of the whole thing was making up the loom. i hate untidy wiring and Painless Powerbraid 1/4 & 1/2” is the best around.
you get that .....

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »
Shep:
i’ll measure that clearance tomorrow for you but you should have heaps to accomodate these fans.
like many of the high cfm fans they draw a decent amount of current and ad to that if you’ve got air. i fitted a higher capacity 1 wire alternator years ago when the original shat itself. wiring and mods for one of these are necessary as it eliminates the voltage regulator, so check out if a regular unit with higher output is available if you’re unsure how to do a 1 wire upgrade.
feel free to ask more questions!
you get that .....

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
Dingo i have a 65GT so i can help guide you all the way with the entire setup from cutting the radiator support panel for the BB unit to a wiring schematic with high current relays / fuses. for me it has to look spot on, i’m a harsh judge on my own work!

the mondeo twin fans were from a later 90’s model. i initially rang around and prices varied up to $150 from a few wreckers. i got lucky at a pick and payless that had one mondeo in the yard so i pulled them with the wiring loom which makes it so much easier and less work to customise the wiring to suit. i paid $60 (!) but i couldn’t have cared if i’d paid 5 times that. they’re worth it for for the fit, performance and clearance they have.
i rewired them so the wiring ran along the bottom of the shroud not along top.
the radiator sits in XA (U shape) mounts below with a 69 top clamp.
these literally do fit the block block rad to the millimeter. every other fan combo i investigated wasn’t an exact fit, the shroud needs to seal firmly against the rad frame.
the hardest part of the whole thing was making up the loom. i hate untidy wiring and Painless Powerbraid 1/4 & 1/2” is the best around.

Thanks Griff. I have the radiator support sorted. Got a 67 one cheap and grafted it into the 65. Got my radiator with the 67-69 mounts and I think my bottom mounts are similar. Just trying to sort this fan out. I found an AU fan near my house I am thinking of going to get for $50 just to have a play. I have also found a 2008 mondeo for wrecking and fan is about $100 so maybe I will go and check that out.

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 01:40:01 PM »
Kyle,
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWIN-HQ-HJ-HX-HZ-WB-Holden-Twin-Shrouded-Thermo-Fan-12volt/112328657955?hash=item1a274f4c23

They seem like they would fit nicely Shep. My radiator has a 600 x 400 core and that assembly was 620 x 405 I think. That price seems pretty reasonable too. Don't know about the 50* and 70* thermostat or whether it is an adjustable one. Looks like it needs a bit of messing with from a mounting point of view though.
I also am starting to believe after making some wrecker phone calls that the petrol Mondeos had single fans and the diesels have the dual fan setup.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »

4000 cfm rating + only 15 amp current draw = suspicious!   :bolt:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
For what its worth these are off an EL falcon that fit nicely on 24" rad. and keep cool.

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
Have you got a photo of how you mounted the EL fans?

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »
I'm putting an EL radiator and fans in mine and they fit perfectly between the rails. This one is just for mocking up, will be using a 52mm one.

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »
Unrelated but watch that Maier racing strut brace will clash with your dizzy depending on brand. Need a low profile one, so I have just found out in my mock up. Think someone said on here Mallory do one that fits

Visit Custom Mustangs