Author Topic: engine R-&-R process  (Read 838 times)

Offline MY6T5PONY

• Thoroughbred
  • You're thru learning when you're thru
  • Name: Con
engine R-&-R process
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
Hi All, i'm in the process of removing a SBF and Trans (top loader) as one unit, from my 65-FB, and i'm considering using a lift plate that bolts onto the Edelbrock Airgap, but I'm nervous and concerned about the weight etc, how many of you have used this, and what should I look for, appreciate any advise and possible pics that you guys can help me with, Cheers..

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: engine R-&-R process
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
With the alloy intake I would not do that . Just use a chain form corner of head to head . Make sure you have the car high enough 1st that the crane goes under car without hitting anything ,2nd the end of the gear box has clearance from the ground with removing it all at one time . Go buy a cheap gear box block so you don't spil oil out of the box .  Take the front pullies off the engine for more clearance .

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:11:37 AM »
I use one of those doovers that lets you alter the angle of the engine/box as it comes out and I have the front of the car on stands so that the engine crane goes under the front end easily and it improves the angle for engine removal.
+1 for lifting from the heads.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:05:39 PM »
Hi All, i'm in the process of removing a SBF and Trans (top loader) as one unit, from my 65-FB, and i'm considering using a lift plate that bolts onto the Edelbrock Airgap, but I'm nervous and concerned about the weight etc, how many of you have used this, and what should I look for, appreciate any advise and possible pics that you guys can help me with, Cheers..

You should look for a broken intake and a smashed core support.  :thumb:

Offline MY6T5PONY

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
hey Barnett, Please explain..

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 12:24:44 PM »
what should I look for

You should look for a broken intake and a smashed core support.  :thumb:

when the intake breaks and motor drops onto the core support

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »
With the alloy intake I would not do that . Just use a chain form corner of head to head . Make sure you have the car high enough 1st that the crane goes under car without hitting anything ,2nd the end of the gear box has clearance from the ground with removing it all at one time . Go buy a cheap gear box block so you don't spil oil out of the box .  Take the front pullies off the engine for more clearance .

:thumb: I'd drain the trans first as I've found those plug things are not completely fluid tight when its on an angle coming out. Use one by all means once you've drained it to minimise what escapes but I don't reckon you want the full volume of fluid putting pressure on the plug.
I use one of those doovers that lets you alter the angle of the engine/box as it comes out and I have the front of the car on stands so that the engine crane goes under the front end easily and it improves the angle for engine removal.
+1 for lifting from the heads.

I agree these are a pretty handy thing but get a quality one. The thread stripped on the cheap Chinese one I got and it jammed. Fortunately the engine was nearly out at this point and I could finish the task. I subsequently cut the threaded rod out of it and replaced it with a better quality bit of threaded rod. The original rod was nasty galvanised steel with dags and things from cutting the thread, the new one is plated and way better. It works fine now and I have lubricated the thread before using it.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 03:30:33 PM »
when the intake breaks and motor drops onto the core support

:thumb:

Offline Cob427

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 06:52:08 PM »
Any reason you donít want to drop the toploader off prior to pulling the engine?
Only 4 bolts trans to bellhousing and would remove a stack of weight.
Engine comes out with ease then.
I just fitted mine, also has the air gap manifold no problem  :thumb:

Offline Reborn67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 08:30:01 PM »
When l pulled my engine out it still had the trans bolted to it, major pain in the ar$e, stuffing around trying to tilt it heaps to clear and scraping everything in sight, in hind sight l wouldn't do it again, simply drop the trans off it,

Offline MY6T5PONY

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:46 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, much appreciated, I think I'll remove/install engine & box separately, cheers..

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, much appreciated, I think I'll remove/install engine & box separately, cheers..

wise choice, its not worth the gamble doing them together even if you use a chain bolted to the heads because in either scenario, unless the lifts legs are longer than the lift arm, you run a high risk of the lift also tipping forward etc.

Visit Custom Mustangs