Author Topic: Sanding sikaflex 227  (Read 1326 times)

Offline jrs-racing

• Thoroughbred
Sanding sikaflex 227
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
Hi all
Just wondering what is the best way to sand sikaflex 227?
It says it's sandable but am finding it hard to get a smooth finish and wants to crumble.
Anyone had any luck with it?
Cheers
WINDSOR & LOVING IT...

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Re: Sanding sikaflex 227
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 03:24:45 PM »
No advice but beats me how anyone can sand any kind of silicone...
Cheers,
Brian

Online shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:15:54 PM »
why would you want to sand it?

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:42:48 PM »
It's not a silicone but a polyurethane hence it can be painted. Good for seam sealing etc. However, it retains some flexibility, doesn't set completely hard. I can't see how any product that doesn't set rock hard can be sanded.

Offline ralph66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 66 Coupe
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »
you can sand it, but it feathers a bit, the tube states that it is "sandable" however its not sandable like body filler

Basically you can get it better than just smoothing it with your finger by sanding

Offline Edz

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
I've just been playing with it to re-stick a scoop on. It actually says on the tube that once it is dry it has to be 'mechanically removed' - ie: scraped/cut off. I found you need to apply it very sparsely, you can clean it up with wax and grease remover while it is wet (and maybe turps?) but once it sets, good luck. It's best to have shaped sticks if you need to shape it into corners on the edge of a scoop or something, I found using a finger spread it too wide. Broken up paddle pop sticks worked well.

I was at a paint shop yesterday and asked about its chemical properties. It's actually a polyurethane that they have added the smallest amount of silicone to recently to extend it's shelf life. It used to only last a couple of weeks when opened, now lasts a year or so. It sticks a lot better than silicone so be careful when you use it but it is great for sticking rubber seals on, fiberglass panels, etc.
351W AOD 9in locker

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 12:06:45 PM »
you can clean it up with wax and grease remover while it is wet (and maybe turps?)

I've found paint thinners works really well to clean/smooth it out, but as you say only while it's still wet.
Cheers,
Brian

Visit Custom Mustangs