Author Topic: Leaf springs  (Read 415 times)

Offline Time to play

• P Plates
  • Name: Macca
  • Car: 66 Hardtop
Leaf springs
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »
Hi, I have recently purchased new rear leaf springs and when fitted have the car (66 hardtop) 2 inches too high. Seller would not entertain assistance with change over. This leads me to using lowering blocks to get something semi reasonable, but not sure of a way forward, either have the current springs reset or buy another new set.

Pic shows initial fit height

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get the springs reset or suggest suitable spring set for 66 hardtop

Cheers

Offline Time to play

• P Plates
Re: Leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 08:10:50 AM »
Current springs are C5ZZ-5560-HD and are fitted in the above pic

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
I wouldn't use lowering blocks as they do compromise the suspension a bit and unless you know someone, the cost of getting old leaf springs reset is pretty close to the cost of new ones. 

Unfortunately you have bought the heavy duty version of the springs for your car which will raise the back end as you have seen.  The light duty version of the same springs (C5ZZ-5560-S) will sit lower but not sure if it will be as low as you want.  There are also mid eye and reverse eye versions that will drop the rear end.

Someone here will have a similar car to yours and should be able to advise on ride height.
Cheers,
Brian

Online shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
Couple of hundred to reset them. Loosen the front bolts a bit and take it for drive and see if it drop. Personally I only use reverse eye rears

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
have you driven it yet?

if so are they at least the spring rate you want?

Offline Time to play

• P Plates
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
I have driven the vehicle to see if the springs would settle, they did fractionally, then I lowered further with 1 in lowering blocks to establish desired ride height and it still needs to come down another inch. Happy with the firm feel, just need to get the back down to an acceptable height.

Offline Time to play

• P Plates
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 10:29:55 AM »
This is current ride height with 1 in lowering blocks installed.

Offline Micks66coupe

• L Plates
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »
Following this as I will be redoing the rear springs on my 66, just taken off the helper springs that were on the coupe when I got it and it now sits 30mm lower. This is the before picture, I was thinking the reverse eye leaf springs might be what I need to get the coupe to sit level and replace the originals just want a firmer ride. Anyone running reverse eye springs? Pictures would be great and what brand and part number as well, thanks in advance this is my first post here so hope the picture works.

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 04:36:16 PM »
65 with mid eyes and 15 inch rims

Offline Micks66coupe

• L Plates
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »
Thanks Nick that's so close to the look I'm after, when I get the suspension sorted I'm changing to mags but was going 14". What brand and part number are the mid eye springs mate, do they come in different spring rates?

Online mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
Thanks Nick that's so close to the look I'm after, when I get the suspension sorted I'm changing to mags but was going 14". What brand and part number are the mid eye springs mate, do they come in different spring rates?

Just my opinion but these cars vary so much that you don't often see two cars sit the same even with the same part numbers. There are lots of threads with guys using lowering springs that have produced different results. That's why I would vote for having them reset! You don't have to leave the shop till you are happy with the lot. :smile01: :smile01:
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
I bought them from Mustangs of Melbourne a few years ago, sorry don't have a part number.

Visit Custom Mustangs