Author Topic: 6 cylinder to v8 conversion  (Read 744 times)

Offline Swans

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Michael
6 cylinder to v8 conversion
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »
Hi all, just wondering if anyone is able to give me some advise on buying a 66 mustang which has been converted from a 6 to 8 cylinder engine. It has been done in the states. It has new disc brakes,8" diff & 6 leaf springs. I'm not a expert , but sounds like it was done correct. The car hasn't been registered in Aus. I have been told the conversion makes the car less desirable and not one to be looking at. This would be my first purchase of a mustang. Sorry for being long winded , one other thing , this car is in Vic I need to know what the process is to drive it to Sa and register .

Michael

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: 6 cylinder to v8 conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
Re: the conversion

It will have less resale value than an original V8 in the same condition.
You need to ensure that the conversion was done properly. This includes V8 front spindles, brakes, steering, diff, motor and trans.

Re: transfer to SA
The car is likely to be on non-transferable club rego so you'd need to get the seller to put 3mths rego on it so you can drive it back here.
When back here, go over the whole car and fix any issues because you're going over the pits at regency for a full inspection. You'll either pass or get a lift of things to fix. Fix them and go back over the pits again where the make sure you've fixed it.

Then get the car on club rego here, not full rego so you don't have to pay stamp duty.

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
There's also a club meeting at 8pm this wed night at West Torrens Birkalla Soccer Club (near morphetville racecourse) if you want to speak with a few knowledgeable members first.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »
Yeah unless you're looking to buy a collectable Mustang, I wouldn't have a problem owning a converted car as long as it was done correctly.
It's unlikely that the owner will register the car for you as he will have to pay stamp duty on it if it's been on the club permit scheme as well as getting a roadworthy certificate which will be useless to you in SA.
You can however purchase an unregistered vehicle single trip permit which will allow you to drive it home. I presume that South Oz is the same as NSW and Qld who recognise a permit from Vic, but I'd check with them anyway.

Offline Swans

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, should I be receiving a engineer certificate for the work that has been done. What sort Of things would regency be looking for? 

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
I think you should ask your authority over there. Here in Vic I changed a HZ 1 tonner from a 202 to a 308 without any hassles as the car was available new with the 308. All I had to do was notify Vicroads of the change of engine number, but things could be entirely different in your state so it's best to find out before you decide to buy. The need for an engineers certificate could add considerably to the cost of the car.

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:03:08 PM »
V8 conversions for 289/302 are just lodging a modification form before the Regency park inspection as motor was a factory option. They'll just require you to show on mod form that it has the V8 spindles etc etc to show it was done properly.

A 351 is likely to require engineering.

Offline Swans

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 10:40:25 PM »
Itís only a 289 conversion. Not being a Motorhead,what are the v8 spindles, is that to do with the engine mounts?

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 11:09:44 PM »
Spindles are the part your brake rotors bolt onto.

V8 spindles are stronger than the 6cyl ones and must be changed for the car to be safe. The car you're looking at must have 5 wheelnuts, not 4 like the 6cyl cars. If you get an experienced mustang person to inspect the car they should check this.

The guy in the photo blow is holding a spindle:

Offline Swans

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
Thanks Dwayne, you learn something new every day. I'll take your advise , just have to find someone in Melbourne to look at it.

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 08:21:21 AM »
PM sent

Offline Swans

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Thanks Dwayne, will do

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
You need to remove a front wheel and see if it has 5 lug spindle.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
Thanks Dwayne, you learn something new every day. I'll take your advise , just have to find someone in Melbourne to look at it.

Where is it in Melbourne? Do you have a link to an advertisement or any pictures of it?

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »

You certainly do learn something new every day. Today I learned that there's people out there that call stub axles spindles.
I can recommend Peter Bout from Pete's Classic Garage in Moorabbin. There isn't much that he doesn't know about Mustangs.

Offline Swans

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »
Thanks, car is in the Frankston area. Iím having a look Saturday

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
You need to remove a front wheel and see if it has 5 lug spindle.
Sorry Barney.....I could not help it. If your about to remove wheels and you only see 4 lugs there is no need to go further to see five lugs... :lmao:
Click Banner

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
sms777  :agree:  :omg: what's he been drinking

Offline Reborn67

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 08:37:45 PM »
Maybe it was still Friday night over there and he'd had a busy week?  :lol:

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
Sorry Barney.....I could not help it. If your about to remove wheels and you only see 4 lugs there is no need to go further to see five lugs... :lmao:

ummm...yes, but unlike you, i was giving the op credit for having at least some modicum of intelligence, however, my point

specifically is, if the op sees 5 nuts holding his wheels on and he has disc brakes, he can still have 4 lug spindles, and since you failed to mention that in your very informative ( :thud:) post, I'm guessing you did not know that did ya? :kickass:

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
ummm...yes, but unlike you, i was giving the op credit for having at least some modicum of intelligence, however, my point

specifically is, if the op sees 5 nuts holding his wheels on and he has disc brakes, he can still have 4 lug spindles, and since you failed to mention that in your very informative ( :thud:) post, I'm guessing you did not know that did ya? :kickass:

Hey barn...that might also esplain why he has a slowpar in his sig instead of a mustang.  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
Hey barn...that might also esplain why he has a slowpar in his sig instead of a mustang.  :lmao:

...and yes, I am talking to myself in the 3rd person form now.  :thumb:

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
Sorry Barney.....my Intelligency Agent took a day off when I posted so I was on my own.
To fit V8 rotors on a 6 cyl. spindle is unheard of in Oz. We only do quality conversions here down under. I have seen way too many crap coming from the US which makes me... :sick:

PS: Don't knock Mopars....they won way too many races than Fords....but you already knew that.. :lmao:
Click Banner

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »
Personally, buying an unregistered car interstate is taking a big risk. It could be a great car but it is likely that you will take it for inspection and they will find a whole lot of things needing attention and it will be 12 months and many thousands of dollars to get it on the road. Especially if they realise that its a 6 to 8 conversion. An unregistered car needs to be cheap, real cheap as the risk you take is high. If the car is registered interstate then it is easier to get it registered locally and it makes the process easier. Everyone thinks they do detailed inspections but the heart normally overrides the head and with limited time things get missed - usually the small and expensive things.  Brad

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »
Sorry Barney.....my Intelligency Agent took a day off when I posted so I was on my own.

:thumb:

To fit V8 rotors on a 6 cyl. spindle is unheard of in Oz. We only do quality conversions here down under.

ummm...we do to unless it is a car we are exporting to oz.  :lmao:

PS: Don't knock Mopars....they won way too many races than Fords....but you already knew that.. :lmao:

I have actually had around 20 of them but don't tell anyone. Madonna bought my 71 plum crazy with interior ac, pw, 383 challenger convert.

Visit Custom Mustangs