Author Topic: Looking for recomendations  (Read 865 times)

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv
Looking for recomendations
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
I would like to get some recommendations on a stall converter for the C4 running the howards cam in the AFR renegade rebuilt 302, 3.5 diff gears and 25 inch tyres soon going to 26 inch, was recommended 2000 to 2200 but no idea on what brand to buy new or redo my existing one.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Looking for recomendations
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:15 PM »
Call this bloke, he is in Brisbane just do what he says and buy what he says. This is where Fataz racing get them from.

http://www.convertorshop.com.au/

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
Thanks for that Shaunp i'll do that also another question is there a specific harmonic balancer that I can buy that will line up my pulleys as per the 289 set up twin v groove pulleys in 50 oz. imbalance , I have 70s style timing chain cover with mechanical fuel pump style, last one for now I'm looking at the NGK bkr 5e-11 spark plugs to suit the 165 AFR heads do you recommend this selection or something else. Cheers.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
I , 2nd the converter shop 👍  They will need to know quite a few things tho , engine size , carb size , intake brand and style , cam , wheel height , approx weight of car and diff ratio . Don't worry if the converter you go for sounds a bit big . A 2,500 rpm is nothing . A 2500-2800 is good for the street .  Plugs ,which ever AFR say to use ,but yes in NGK .

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
Thanks Glenn I found that in the AFR site they recommend Auto-lite plugs 3924 can someone confirm that BKR6E-11 is the equivalent in NGK. Also waiting for some feedback on balancer if anyone can chime in.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
That NGK plug sounds right to me . I'm not sure about the balancer problem

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
Thanks for that Shaunp i'll do that also another question is there a specific harmonic balancer that I can buy that will line up my pulleys as per the 289 set up twin v groove pulleys in 50 oz. imbalance , I have 70s style timing chain cover with mechanical fuel pump style,

Not sure what you're asking but I have a roller cam 5.0, i.e. 50 oz balance, in mine with a water pump that has the bottom hose on the right hand side as per original '66 radiator set up, and a balancer that reads correctly with a timing pointer on the left hand side. I have a 3 groove V belt pulley on the crank. I couldn't tell you what brand it is or anything but a 50 oz balancer is certainly available for this configuration.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »
Thanks for that Shaunp i'll do that also another question is there a specific harmonic balancer that I can buy that will line up my pulleys as per the 289 set up twin v groove pulleys in 50 oz. imbalance , I have 70s style timing chain cover with mechanical fuel pump style, last one for now I'm looking at the NGK bkr 5e-11 spark plugs to suit the 165 AFR heads do you recommend this selection or something else. Cheers.

quite a few performance balancers are drill with both 3 & 4 holes

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
I have to maybe wait till I pull the 289 out and start to measure balancer and pulley to line them up as I said I want to use my 289 pulleys on the 5.0 litre block with the 70s style water pump as I cannot be sure of how much the balancer will stick out if not enough I can get a spacer but if it sticks too far out big problem to align air con and water pump.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
I have to maybe wait till I pull the 289 out and start to measure balancer and pulley to line them up as I said I want to use my 289 pulleys on the 5.0 litre block with the 70s style water pump as I cannot be sure of how much the balancer will stick out if not enough I can get a spacer but if it sticks too far out big problem to align air con and water pump.

They mostly need a spacer not the other way.

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »
Are these spacers available or do I need to get one machined up.Cheers

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
Are these spacers available or do I need to get one machined up.Cheers
You can buy them but some times need a skim. I look and see if you can get powerbond 50oz in 3 bolt if not see if you can get a Professional products one. I real terms its normally the water pump that causes the issues, the later pumps are longer. You can also get 28oz one rebalanced to 50 if you have a good bloke. They just drill holes in the other side.

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 11:23:15 AM »
Thanks Shaunp I will be using the 70s style water pump with the dipstick up front on the timing cover may have to wait till I pull the 289 out and measure up. Jim

Visit Custom Mustangs