Author Topic: Metal panel behind rear seat  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
Metal panel behind rear seat
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
I still have the wood panel behind the rear seat and have wondered about putting in a metal panel.
What do you guys do? I had a quick look around for a prefabricated  metal panel and so far have not been able to find one.
I think noise reduction and added safety are probably benefits of going with a metal panel.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Metal panel behind rear seat
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
On my old car I delegated it to my 5yo daughter:

Offline ralph66

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 66 Coupe
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »
I have used a cardboard repro panel and stuck bitumen mat and insulation to this,

I think noise reduction would potentially be better with a wood panel,

If you want to go with a metal panel, get some sheet metal and use your wood panel as a template, like what Dwayne and his daughter have done, which looks great

Id look at insulating the metal panel though if your worries about noise
Cheers

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:15:27 PM »
We used a big sheet of cardboard to make the template, then cut out the sheetmetal and secured in place with Sikaflex & screws. 

It was then all covered with sound deadener.

Online barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 09:59:38 PM »
Its nearly pointless and they make those metal panels in the us.

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 10:27:01 PM »
On my old car I delegated it to my 5yo daughter:

Ha, ha - Nice Job, she did very well! I did wonder about whether I would need to make it a custom job.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »
Sika flex them in, that is the strongest way it will never come out in a crash, the main reason is to stop crap in the boot ending up in the cabin in crash, who cares about noise. Its also required as fuel barrier by CAMS in some sport categories, which is why I'm doing it, pretty sure my car would be considered "improved production class" for hill climb but will have to be assessed.

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 10:30:36 PM »
I have used a cardboard repro panel and stuck bitumen mat and insulation to this,

I think noise reduction would potentially be better with a wood panel,

If you want to go with a metal panel, get some sheet metal and use your wood panel as a template, like what Dwayne and his daughter have done, which looks great

Id look at insulating the metal panel though if your worries about noise
Cheers
I hear you... I am kind of in two minds about going with sheetmetal, but I have heard metal is a good safety precaution. I was planning to insulate the panel too.

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31:15 PM »
Its nearly pointless and they make those metal panels in the us.
Care to expand on what you mean by nearly pointless?

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 10:35:09 PM »
Sika flex them in, that is the strongest way it will never come out in a crash, the main reason is to stop crap in the boot ending up in the cabin in crash, who cares about noise. Its also required as fuel barrier by CAMS in some sport categories, which is why I'm doing it, pretty sure my car would be considered "improved production class" for hill climb but will have to be assessed.
That is what originally got me thinking about using a metal panel many years ago shaunp. I have always wondered about what happens if I were hit from behind or fuel tank exploded etc. I am trying to work out what my best options are and then factor in some noise insulation as well, but I have stuffed insulation into the back seat already.
Did you make your own, or purchase it somewhere?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 10:50:24 PM »
That is what originally got me thinking about using a metal panel many years ago shaunp. I have always wondered about what happens if I were hit from behind or fuel tank exploded etc. I am trying to work out what my best options are and then factor in some noise insulation as well, but I have stuffed insulation into the back seat already.
Did you make your own, or purchase it somewhere?

Haven't made it yet for this car but have for others, Sika it in, hold with a few Pop rivets while it dries, Cams require it is some classes where you dont have fuel cell. I see the new V8 super car Holdens which are a hatch back, have wall in the back for this reason required by CAMS

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
Haven't made it yet for this car but have for others, Sika it in, hold with a few Pop rivets while it dries, Cams require it is some classes where you dont have fuel cell. I see the new V8 super car Holdens which are a hatch back, have wall in the back for this reason required by CAMS
What gauge sheet do you use?

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:54 PM »
Here's the one my car came with from a previous owner. Not sure on the gauge but it's heavy as f
Mine doesn't cover up the holes on the side though like Dwaynes, so if you are worried about fuel spillage then I'd cover those up also. I may redo mine later on more like dwaynes using sikaflex and bolts.
It's also useful for mounting audio amps  to the backside of it.

Here is a thread from a guy that did torsion testing on a 67 mustang, and a thick metal divider bolted in actually made a surprising difference.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/torsional-rigidity-test-67-coupe.723029/page-4

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 12:14:25 AM »
Here's the one my car came with from a previous owner. Not sure on the gauge but it's heavy as f
Mine doesn't cover up the holes on the side though like Dwaynes, so if you are worried about fuel spillage then I'd cover those up also. I may redo mine later on more like dwaynes using sikaflex and bolts.
It's also useful for mounting audio amps  to the backside of it.

Here is a thread from a guy that did torsion testing on a 67 mustang, and a thick metal divider bolted in actually made a surprising difference.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/torsional-rigidity-test-67-coupe.723029/page-4
Thanks for sharing that picture Husky. I see what the previous owner did. He went and cut the panel so that it sit in the recess, so it would look flush from inside the boot. This is another way of doing it and you would have space to sick on some insulation. I think it looks ok too in my opinion.

Online barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 01:12:53 AM »
Care to expand on what you mean by nearly pointless?

sure, a panel there will not reduce noise by a significant amount although it will reduce it some. you can try different variations with the rear seat out while you drive to test them.

if you want a significant amount of noise reduction you need to do a LOT more such as line the entire inside of the car with thick sound deadener. dynamat is one of the better ones because it is thicker than most others and is not whipped so it has a high density.

the point is, unless you insulate a LOT more of the car including the inside of the trunk, doors and the roof etc, it won't make a lot of difference whether you use the original cardboard that ford used or a thin sheet of metal behind the rear seat, and if you use metal, it should be covered with butyl as has been suggested.

also, adding body shutz undercoating under the car and inner fenders will further reduce noise and so will buying a new mercedes.  :thumb:

https://hushmat.com/index.php?dispatch=sdc.catalog&year=1966&make=54&model=688

if you are concerned about getting rear ended and having the tank ruptured and the fuel ignited which is about likely as the sky falling, i suggest you install a tank cover and around a 1/8" thick "firewall" barrier.

http://tankarmor.com/

Offline BlackNotchBack

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 06:45:26 AM »
I made mine out of 3mm aluminium sheet and pop riveted it in. Similar to Husky’s though mine only coveres the main opening.

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Ok, thanks guys.
So nobody sells them here and it looks like we have to fabricate them ourselves? This is not an issue, just thought I'd ask.
Thanks

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 08:50:10 AM »
sure, a panel there will not reduce noise by a significant amount although it will reduce it some. you can try different variations with the rear seat out while you drive to test them.

if you want a significant amount of noise reduction you need to do a LOT more such as line the entire inside of the car with thick sound deadener. dynamat is one of the better ones because it is thicker than most others and is not whipped so it has a high density.

the point is, unless you insulate a LOT more of the car including the inside of the trunk, doors and the roof etc, it won't make a lot of difference whether you use the original cardboard that ford used or a thin sheet of metal behind the rear seat, and if you use metal, it should be covered with butyl as has been suggested.

also, adding body shutz undercoating under the car and inner fenders will further reduce noise and so will buying a new mercedes.  :thumb:

https://hushmat.com/index.php?dispatch=sdc.catalog&year=1966&make=54&model=688

if you are concerned about getting rear ended and having the tank ruptured and the fuel ignited which is about likely as the sky falling, i suggest you install a tank cover and around a 1/8" thick "firewall" barrier.

http://tankarmor.com/

Thanks for that. I am planning to insulate the boot area in the coming weeks. I think a lot of noise comes from the back of these cars.

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 10:11:32 PM »
I have a 12mm thick mdf panel screwed in on mine it made a big difference to noise from boot.

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:25:04 AM »
I have a 12mm thick mdf panel screwed in on mine it made a big difference to noise from boot.
Thanks,  that is certainly another option. How would the mdf rate with regards to safety?

Online barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 09:33:36 AM »
Thanks,  that is certainly another option. How would the mdf rate with regards to safety?

safety for what exactly?

what it will mainly do is protect you from your spare tire flying forward during an emergency stop and hitting you in the head thereby knocking you unconscious so you plow into the car that is stopped in front of you throwing you forward hard enough to break the steering wheel so the steering column can impale you just before you go thru the windshield.

Offline Tarheel

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 09:52:27 AM »
safety for what exactly?

what it will mainly do is protect you from your spare tire flying forward during an emergency stop and hitting you in the head thereby knocking you unconscious so you plow into the car that is stopped in front of you throwing you forward hard enough to break the steering wheel so the steering column can impale you just before you go thru the windshield.
Are you serious?
Spare wheel is bolted down, so not a concern in an emergency stop. I am thinking of fuel tank rupture, rear end collision where metal is coming forward etc, etc. Currently I have a sheet of flimsy panel with upholstery. This would not stop much. I understand whatever I do will never be 100% safety guaranteed, but something better than what I have now is preferable. Just looking at options

Online barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
Are you serious?
Spare wheel is bolted down, so not a concern in an emergency stop. I am thinking of fuel tank rupture, rear end collision where metal is coming forward etc, etc. Currently I have a sheet of flimsy panel with upholstery. This would not stop much. I understand whatever I do will never be 100% safety guaranteed, but something better than what I have now is preferable. Just looking at options

I just don't understand the paranoia unless you guys have the absolute worst drivers in the world.

Again, if you are obsessed about safety, install the fuel tank cover no matter what you do. It is nearly pointless to install a barrier behind the seat to protect you from burning fuel unless you install the fuel tank cover as well, I guarantee it.

You can also replace the tank with a fuel cell.

Also, if you are concerned with safety, you should have 3 point seat belts.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
If you are really concerned about issues concerned by fuel tank rupture in a collision, have a look at some of the fuel cell style tanks that racers use.  Will provide much more protection than a sheet of whatever you might put behind the back seat...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • On the road.
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
I put a metal panel in behind the rear seat trying to stop some of the fumes coming in from the trunk.
Unfortunately not successful as the air flows around through the back wind up window gaps.
Otherwise it may help a little bit when the fuel tank splits in a rear ender.,

Visit Custom Mustangs