Author Topic: Mustangs for sale - what do you think?  (Read 858 times)

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
Mustangs for sale - what do you think?
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »

Howard Astill's former coupe for sale

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1966/SSE-AD-4945063/?Cr=23

I like it, but $90k is a bit of money.

Still, a bit cheaper than this 65 Fastback for $145k

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1966/SSE-AD-5371319/?Cr=31

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: Mustangs for sale - what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
I don't understand why the asking price is that high. Ok, it has a pretty trick interior/trunk and a very 'personal taste' dash, but apart from that what am I missing?

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »
Hearing you Husky. Be building myself for those prices

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »
Husky....what you are missing is the detail. Have you ever seen Howard's work? He would have put 100k labour into building that car. He is a perfectionist, multiple Summer Nats champion.
Click Banner

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
Husky....what you are missing is the detail. Have you ever seen Howard's work? He would have put 100k labour into building that car. He is a perfectionist, multiple Summer Nats champion.
yeah well there you go, you don't really see any of that in the add. Maybe why it's been on car sales for a year. For that price you really need an add that shows some of the detail and perhaps more detailed photos.  My thoughts anyway

Offline BlackNotchBack

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
If you had to pay Howard Astill to build you that car I wouldn’t be expecting much change out of $200k.

Offline fredm666

• Thoroughbred
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 1964-1/2, D code
fred

Offline jiffy

• Blue Printed
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under contruction
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD

U2U, email or phone me 0423 977 057

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
yeah well there you go, you don't really see any of that in the add. Maybe why it's been on car sales for a year. For that price you really need an add that shows some of the detail and perhaps more detailed photos.  My thoughts anyway

Don't think it matters what you add to the ad. Can you ever expect to recover money spent when you go to those extreme's? On a Shelby or a Boss maybe, but on a restomod I don't really think so. The Fastback at $145 looks a well done thing but imo well out of the market and will not sell unless there is a rich boy with a pocket full of cash that just has to have it.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »
Don't think it matters what you add to the ad. Can you ever expect to recover money spent when you go to those extreme's? On a Shelby or a Boss maybe, but on a restomod I don't really think so. The Fastback at $145 looks a well done thing but imo well out of the market and will not sell unless there is a rich boy with a pocket full of cash that just has to have it.

:agree: If someone puts a Pratt & Whitney jet engine in a mustang and restomods the crap out of it, spending megabucks in the process, it does not mean it's worth megabucks. Frankly, I fail to see how a restomod can be 'worth' more than a totally restored vehicle. There's too many shades of grey and that's a problem car clubs will meet in the future - where does a Mustang start and finish and what's acceptable e.g. a great deal of Mustang restomods are little more than the shell. It would be interesting if someone put the full Mustang drivetrain, fuel tank, seats and trim in a Falcon shell and sold it as a Mustang, because in reality that's just the other side of the coin.

Personal preference of course ... buyer beware (or aware), fools and their money are easily parted, etc, etc. :bolt:
Bill Haley (& His Comets): 'There has to be a Cadillac music and a Ford music. Tchaikovsky and Bach is Cadillac music, while we play more down-to-earth Ford music. It's got a good solid beat that can't be missed... definitely designed for teenage kids to dance to.'

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
Personal preference of course

That's the key thing to remember.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »
Personal preference of course ...

It's only personal preference until you decide to sell it, then it's what the market thinks.  Whenever you put something up for public sale, you are inviting discussion, comment and criticism which is what we're doing here...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »
It's only personal preference until you decide to sell it, then it's what the market thinks.  Whenever you put something up for public sale, you are inviting discussion, comment and criticism which is what we're doing here...

And as I think you are saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If someone want to pay $140 for a very well built resto mod then more power to them. It will be a very small market he is pitching to though.  :smile01:
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Visit Custom Mustangs