Author Topic: Alloy Radiator  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Pash

• Stallion
Alloy Radiator
« on: April 18, 2018, 10:44:56 PM »
Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following radiators

Scott Drake 24" opposite end outlet/inlet 2 row 1" tubes

or

ACP MaxCore 24" opposite end outlet/inlet 2 row 1.25" tubes

obviously the ACP has bigger capacity and tube/fin contact ratio but would .5" make much of a difference.

it would be cooling a 347 stroker with an electric water pump, 16" SPAL 2400CFM fan or maybe a dual fan/shroud setup.

i have done some research and it seems that one of the above would be sufficient but wondering if anyone would have any experience and happy for any other suggestions.

thanks

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Alloy Radiator
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
The copper version of the Maxicore cools an average 347 no trouble they  work extremely well and will have average 347 running at 70 deg or less,and with an 82 thermostat it will run at 82 thats where it will run all day in Brisbane using factory shroud and fan. With a copper Brass you can always have them cleaned as well, alloy is not easy to remove a tank and rod them. I use flowcooler HV mechanical pump on 347's thats all they need.

Online barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
Scott Drake 24" opposite end outlet/inlet 2 row 1" tubes

or

ACP MaxCore 24" opposite end outlet/inlet 2 row 1.25" tubes

obviously the ACP has bigger capacity and tube/fin contact ratio but would .5" make much of a difference.

if the tubes are the same width, the one with 1.25" tubes will have the equivalent of 14.5 more 1" rows than the drake rad which is a big difference in both water capacity and cooling area.

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
  • Name: Kyle
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
I just purchased the ACP alloy for my 65 along with a derale powerpack thermo fan setup as they were on sale direct from US a couple of months ago.

https://derale.com/products/electric-fans/shrouded-powerpacks/pwm-powerpacks

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 02:18:00 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.

Great calculation Barnett468.

Thereís a 20% difference in capacity between the 2.

Online barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:32:23 AM »
Thanks for your input guys.

Great calculation Barnett468.

Thereís a 20% difference in capacity between the 2.

yup, 20% more water volume if the tubes are the same width, and 20% more cooling area irregardless of the tube width, so either way it's a better rad as long as the tubes aren't partially plugged from welding which sometimes happens.

you really should run a high flow water pump and a 180 degree brass milodon t stat with this rad also. for coolant i use 80% demineralized water, 20% old school green prestone anti freeze and 1.5 the recommended amount of DEI radiator relief.

you also need to set your ignition timing curve to the optimum level.

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »
thanks.

i ended up buying the ACP 24" 2 row alloy rad today.

looks unreal!!!! very happy with it

test fitted it but will need to get the correct saddles for it.

the opening in the radiator support is big enough but wondering if people cut those tabs off at all, as circled in the photo.

Offline Tempest

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
I kept them. With the mounting saddles the rad will be clear of them.
I used them to mount my Air con condenser.  :thumb:

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • On the road.
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 10:47:10 AM »
Bought one of the cheap EBay radiators.
Was fitted with an M12 drain plug into a quarter tapped hole.
Also transmission cooling line holes are too small for fittings.
Anyone fitted one recently?

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • On the road.
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 06:39:16 PM »
Found adaptors screwed into old radiator.
Fitted them into new one, all good.

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 05:52:13 PM »
Thatís good to hear clubman that the adapters dotted into the new one.

I will be bypassing the radiator trans cooler and just using a larger pwr cooler for the trans.

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 05:55:46 PM »
I kept them. With the mounting saddles the rad will be clear of them.
I used them to mount my Air con condenser.  :thumb:

Interesting tempest.

Iím still waiting for my bottom mounts, but have the top mount and I canít see how the top mount will get any closer than an inch from being flush with rad support to be bolted without bashing or cutting off those tabs. Time will tell. Iíll wait for the bottom mounts before I do anything drastic

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
Hi guys,

so i have temporary mounted the bottom mounts and i put in the radiator.

can some one confirm if the position of the bottom mounts is correct?

they way i have it now i cant get the top mount to sit flush with rad support because of the top left tab.

im planning on either hammering the tabs in or just cutting them off and i guess more rad exposure.

im intereested in hearing thoughts and suggestions before i get the surgical tools out

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 06:40:15 PM »
pash - ive just gone all through this with my rebuild. i cut out some sheetmetal to expose the opening for a wider rad. the only way youll know if any parts other than whats stock will fit is by trial fitting them, otherwise it will be guess work. i used the bottom mounts and top rad support bkt like yours also.
loosely place in the lower bkts, mount the rad in them and then positon the top bkt. i had to drill new bolt holes for the top support as the rad i have is an ACP 67 big block copper and wanted it dead centre of the support.
get underneath and move the lower supports into the best position, mark and mount them with flat profile phillips head screw.
ive gone back to old school look from my polished alum rad and have ford mondeo twin speed fans setup.

Look out Memphis im a comin' to play the International Blues Band Competition 27-30 Jan'16 with the Matt Roberts Trio.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1495746797387305/
https://www.facebook.com/mattrobertstrio/photos/gm.1503473856614599/1055789897784667/?type=3&theater

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 11:51:19 PM »
pash - ive just gone all through this with my rebuild. i cut out some sheetmetal to expose the opening for a wider rad. the only way youll know if any parts other than whats stock will fit is by trial fitting them, otherwise it will be guess work. i used the bottom mounts and top rad support bkt like yours also.
loosely place in the lower bkts, mount the rad in them and then positon the top bkt. i had to drill new bolt holes for the top support as the rad i have is an ACP 67 big block copper and wanted it dead centre of the support.
get underneath and move the lower supports into the best position, mark and mount them with flat profile phillips head screw.
ive gone back to old school look from my polished alum rad and have ford mondeo twin speed fans setup.

Thanks for the advice Griff.

I spent a bit off time tonight triming the rad support and I have the top bracket sitting flush with the rad support.

My new issue :ouch: is that when I tighten up the top support it just pops off!!!

Itís like the bracket is too loose. Iím using an Acp Aluminium 2 row.

Has that happened to anyone??

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 08:16:16 AM »
Bend it. Ive don about 4 like this never had an issue really.

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »
Bend it. Ive don about 4 like this never had an issue really.

Thanks Shaun.

I did some research last night. The mounting tabs on the bracket should have a have pre stressed angle less than 90* therefore when you tighten it to the rad support it clamps down on the rad.

I checked my mount and the angle is over 90*

I will try to Bend it in a bit and see

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
I thought I should just make an update for future refrence for anyone installing an apc 24Ē.

If the top radiator mount doesnít clamp down on the radiator. Bend the mounting tabs in to reduce the angle under 90*.

If installing a cross flow rad and bottom hose is on the US drivers side, I managed to use a Falcon XW lower radiator hose. It has the same bends as a 67 big block lower radiator hose except both ends of the hose are 45mm or 1 3/4Ē. The radiator hose code is CH959

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
I thought I should just make an update for future refrence for anyone installing an apc 24Ē.

If the top radiator mount doesnít clamp down on the radiator. Bend the mounting tabs in to reduce the angle under 90*.

If installing a cross flow rad and bottom hose is on the US drivers side, I managed to use a Falcon XW lower radiator hose. It has the same bends as a 67 big block lower radiator hose except both ends of the hose are 45mm or 1 3/4Ē. The radiator hose code is CH959

Did you end up cutting the tabs off?
67 Convertible

Offline Pash

• Stallion
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
Did you end up cutting the tabs off?

Yes skev I did end up cutting the tabs off. It was the only way possible to get the rad top mount to sit flush on the rad support. Also bought various rubber u extrusions to seal the rad on top bottom and sides.

Visit Custom Mustangs