Author Topic: 67 Heater core replacement  (Read 1009 times)

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Greg
67 Heater core replacement
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »
Hi guys
Ive got a 67 Mustang coupe lhd without A/C and looks like a coolant leak from the heater core.
I live in Camira.
Can anyone suggest a radiator shop that will work on an old car.
Also need a dodgie reading fuel gauge looked at.
I have already approached Restored Classics at Sumner Park and Gasoline Alley in Brendale.
Thanks for any help

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
Re: 67 Heater core replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »
Are you handy with tools and able to remove the heater box yourself? It's a bit of a PITA but pretty basic mechanicals.
Probably time the heater box had an overhaul with a new seal kit at the same time.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »
Go buy a new core from Mustang autoparts at Mansfield and do it youself not hard, I wouldnt be going over the northside you dont need a golden spanner for this its not hard.

The core is like $70
https://mustangautoparts.com.au/collections/mustang-heating-ac/products/h-core-67-73-with-a-c-alu

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:06:42 AM »
yeah, simple deal. in short, you can do the following.

drain rad fluid. there is a fitting on the bottom of the rad to do this with . they typically turn counterclockwise to drain. remove the rad cap first.

if you don't have a lot of time and want to continue to drive it while you fix it, buy a 1 foot length of hose. remove the 2 hoses from the intake manifold and water pump. connect the 1 foot hose t these. refill the rad. let it run for 5 minutes. let it cool for 15 minutes. re-check the fluid level. leave around 20 - 25mm of air space from the top of the water to where the rubber seal on the rad cap seats inside the top of the rad.

put a few layers of newspaper on the entire front floor under the heater box.

disconnect the 2 wires at the blower motor on the right side of the firewall. these are sometimes hard to disconnect and you may need to use pliers on each side then rotate them to break them loose then pull them apart while you also rotate them.

remove the glove box liner. it has 4 cross head screws.

go to the engine and remove the nuts on the firewall that hold the heater box on.

put a light coat of grease on the hoses from the firewall to around 1 foot outward. this will make it much easier for them to slide thru the holes in the firewall.

go to the inside of the car and remove the sheet metal screw that holds the heater box bracket to the body. you will see it through the glove box on the right side.

pull the box and motor assembly out just far enough to lay it on the floor.

disconnect the hoses.

remove assembly from car.

CAREFULLY pry the clips off of the box with a flat screwdriver from one end of the clip.

separate box.

the core just lays inside the box.

rain the rad fluidn

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciste all your info.
Been thinking of disabling the heater like you said abd when i have time i can replace myself.

Anyone think its  ok idea to just not have the heater used at all??

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »

That's what I did, worked perfectly until I got time to replace the heater core (and seal kits while it was already out & pulled apart).

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciste all your info.
Been thinking of disabling the heater like you said abd when i have time i can replace myself.

Even if its a daily driver I think you'd be fine without it in Brisbane. Most of them tend to transmit more engine heat through the firewall than you want anyway, unless its been well sealed up and insulated better than the original stuff.

Offline pgold

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »
If you are going disconnect the heater you can install  two bungs to block of the inlet and outlet on engine. Buy same size as heater hose, reuse hose clamps if in good condition. Repco, Supercheap, Autobarn will have them. Looks much neater than a looped hose and cheaper.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
If you are going disconnect the heater you can install  two bungs to block of the inlet and outlet on engine. Buy same size as heater hose, reuse hose clamps if in good condition. Repco, Supercheap, Autobarn will have them. Looks much neater than a looped hose and cheaper.

At least do not use rubber caps.

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 02:11:31 PM »
I recently had to ship three Mustangs back to the USA. Long story - I had to use a high end restoration shop to pack the vehicles into the containers.  All three cars had not been driven for some time.  One car developed a leak in the heater core (445 stroker engine). My advice to the resto shop was to run a bypass hose between the intake manifold and water pump, just so the car could drive in and out of the container.

I was shouted down – told these engines won’t work with a bypass hose which I thought was a total load of BS given one of my cars has bungs and the other car has a bypass hose.  Any issues with running a bypass hose for a big block?

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
I was shouted down told these engines won’t work with a bypass hose which I thought was a total load of BS given one of my cars has bungs and the other car has a bypass hose. 

Any issues with running a bypass hose for a big block?

They are absolute idiots.

Not as long as the engine cools PROPERLY before bypassing the heater core.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
Yes Gallop but that shop is know to have golden spanners and charging plenty of coin for their work, It doesn't surprise me at all that they were looking to make some more $, thats how they roll.

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 11:21:24 AM »
Hey your dodgy fuel gauge is likely due to a build up of gunk and corrosion on the sender. They are not hard to pull apart and clean up the contacts and get working again. An hour or two with scotchbrite and brasso should do the trick. Don't let anyone replace the sender with a repo until you try cleaning it first and don't throw out the original. The repos never work as good and good original senders are hard to find.

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 09:59:45 AM »
Thanks on the fuel sender info

Visit Custom Mustangs