Author Topic: C4 Forward Clutch Drum  (Read 389 times)

Offline Tiny

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 66 GT Coupe
C4 Forward Clutch Drum
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »
Looking to buy Forward Clutch Drum for my 66 Mustang C4 Transmission.  I cant seem to locate any second hand parts dealer for C4's anywhere.  It appears the splines on my Hub have for some reason worn away with no sign of metal shaving in the gearbox or any other explanation as to why this occurred.  Hope you can help.

cheers 
66 San Jose Built A Code GT Coupe
289 4V, C4, PS, No A/C

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
Re: C4 Forward Clutch Drum
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
Looking to buy Forward Clutch Drum for my 66 Mustang C4 Transmission.  I cant seem to locate any second hand parts dealer for C4's anywhere.  It appears the splines on my Hub have for some reason worn away with no sign of metal shaving in the gearbox or any other explanation as to why this occurred.  Hope you can help.

cheers

The splines look normal to me, what makes you think there is a problem with the clutch drum?

Offline Tiny

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:05:35 PM »
The end of the splines are quite burred which made it difficult to remove the Hub from the clutches, also it appears that the ouer edge of the splines has the worn ring. All of the images I have researched online shows the full splines to the outer edge and does not have the groove. Someone has suggested to me to file the burrs and it should be okay but Iím just not sure if this is correct as I have not seen another hub the same.
66 San Jose Built A Code GT Coupe
289 4V, C4, PS, No A/C

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:45:07 AM »
Just check the sealing rings for wear and also the clutch pack for slipping or wear, failing that maybe a good idea to take the drum to a transmission shop and get their opinion.

Visit Custom Mustangs