Author Topic: correct idler arm location on 65 mustang RHD  (Read 343 times)

Offline wok65

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Eric
  • Car: 65 mustang
correct idler arm location on 65 mustang RHD
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:32:31 PM »
I was wondering if anybody knows how to get hold of the correct location measurements for my 65 mustang V8 coup Idler Arm. The previous owner installed a 63 Fairlane one & I would like to have the correct one.
Wok65

Online shaunp

• Cobra
Re: correct idler arm location on 65 mustang RHD
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »
I was wondering if anybody knows how to get hold of the correct location measurements for my 65 mustang V8 coup Idler Arm. The previous owner installed a 63 Fairlane one & I would like to have the correct one.
Wok65

Lots of them were converted with compact Fairlane drag links so that may well be the correct one

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
correct location measurements
There isn't any 'correct one' as the cars weren't built in RHD. So people wanting to convert had to raid the non-USA Ford parts bin for a suitable RHD substitute and as Shaunp says the compact Fairlane was considered a reasonable and practical match.

Offline PET-289

• Stallion
  • The Fastest Oil Burning white D code Coupe in Aust
  • Name: Mick
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
I prefer the original factory components for the conversion accept the Rhd steering box

Online shaunp

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
I prefer the original factory components for the conversion accept the Rhd steering box

I've done few you cant really do that and get the bump steer and turning circle correct. The original ford conversions all used compact Fairlane drag link idler and box. Once you use a falcon steering box you need to make the drag link fit that etc. The best way is to use a factory mustang drag link and cut the ends off then weld Falcon ends to that , then use falcon idler and box. You cant use a falcon drag link as they are too long and the wrong shape for early cars, you can use a shortened Falcon link for 67 on cars. Its no trouble to have the drag links certified to NATA international standard as long as you know how to weld them correctly. They are a forging not cast as many think, so the weld nicely, dye check them as you go then you know the weld pass xray

Offline PET-289

• Stallion
  • The Fastest Oil Burning white D code Coupe in Aust
  • Name: Mick
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »
I've done few you cant really do that and get the bump steer and turning circle correct. The original ford conversions all used compact Fairlane drag link idler and box. Once you use a falcon steering box you need to make the drag link fit that etc. The best way is to use a factory mustang drag link and cut the ends off then weld Falcon ends to that , then use falcon idler and box. You cant use a falcon drag link as they are too long and the wrong shape for early cars, you can use a shortened Falcon link for 67 on cars. Its no trouble to have the drag links certified to NATA international standard as long as you know how to weld them correctly. They are a forging not cast as many think, so the weld nicely, dye check them as you go then you know the weld pass xray
I have never had a problem with bump steer or turning circle

Offline wok65

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Eric
  • Car: 65 mustang
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:32:20 AM »
Thanks for your help fellow members
I will get started the long weekend

Visit Custom Mustangs