Author Topic: Question for a Paint/Body expert  (Read 220 times)

Offline gbader

• Thoroughbred
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
Question for a Paint/Body expert
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »
Hi guys

Have acquired an old (cica 50's) race car that I am trying to work out a direction on, mechanically she is good but would welcome some advice on the paint/body

She does need a full resto (back to metal) etc but would like to delay that a few years if I can (till I have the time to do it properly) so wondering what I can do to maintain/preserve the current condition (stop cracks growing and/or chunks falling off). Car will get minimal use but would like to get it out at a few historic events

Was last painted about 40 years ago, being handmade I am guessing lots of bog underneath and I cant rule out some rust as well (although it is a single skin and the underside looks fine), my gut tells me it is probably a combination of those and the flexing etc

Clear Wrap - is that a stupid idea?, can wont see moisture at all but thinking there will be bumps/creases over the cracks

Clear Coat - OK, no idea if this is practical at all but could I use a heavy clear (into the cracks) and then sand that back for a smooth (ish) finish. Bonus (to me at least) is that the cracks etc would be visible and it would also protect some of the stickers etc (keep the patina so to speak)

Pic is of the worse section on the bonnet

Will take it to a mate (restorer) for advice but given the amount of resto knowledge on here, thought someone might have some weird/wonderful ideas?

cheers

greg

Online shaunp

• Cobra
Re: Question for a Paint/Body expert
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »
Nothing you can do really , fix it or leave, its likely acrylic lacquer  with a heap of spray putty, the film thickness will be too thick and its cracking and delaminating. Thats what it does.

Offline barnett468

• Boss
Re: Question for a Paint/Body expert
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »
yes, clear wrap will keep the pieces from falling off.  :lmao:

Visit Custom Mustangs