Author Topic: RRS coil overs - 1970  (Read 5392 times)

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
Re: RRS coil overs - 1970
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
Hi,

These are some quick snaps of my belt setup.  Why forums won't display images shared from googs inline I have no idea.

The PS belt is on the left and the bracket for the compressor was installed by the PO.  I think it is from some kit made in Australia.

The alternator is bolted below the PS pump.  It appears to be some cast Ford bracket holding all that together but I couldn't tell you what it is off.  If you want any more info I can take a closer look over the weekend.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2daoMs9q8lG8adMv2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uI0o36wh5VHFp5Mj2

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »
So let me get this straight, Gary Meyers, not sure if you've heard of him, who just won Street Machine of the year for the 3rd time. Well known for his passion for the blue oval and making some of the toughest street machines in the country, goes and put a Daewoo Rack on his cars.
This goes the same for the Sidchrome, Street Machine magazine 69 fastback, built by Preston Hire Supercar team, fully equipped with RRS gear.........
Chad McQueen, son of Steve McQueen, builds a Bullit replica and fits all RRS equipment............... but its still no good.........

Street machine of the year would hardly get driven, & I doubt they pay what you or I would pay either, I suspect they get  it the stuff for F-all as advertising. If you want it , buy it, not saying its no good but there is better stuff, a proper double wish bone set up will be better is all I'm saying, the best option is a weld in Mustang 2 type set up and have no shock towers at all. I think the notched towers look crap, do it properly and get rid of them all together, if you want better suspension.
 If you are going to go to the trouble and expense don't muck around look at all the options and buy the best.  I've got no issue with cutting these things up, they are just old cars, Ive put blown injected chev in a E type jag with mate, as race car, way more car than an old mustang will ever be and we cut it up.
 Ive  done a few RHD conversions on them cause I want them RHD, I dont go in for leave them how god made them and LHD is cool stuff, thats crap, never used a rack though on any, that's my choice, cause you can get them just as good with a variable ratio XF falcon box and a custom drag link, its less work to use rack though.
 Ralph's car on this forum is an expensive car, 67 factory big bock GTA fast back  with factory AC, deluxe trim etc full rotisserie resto, I converted it to  RHD and did all the suspension mods plus body work. Ian Woodward at Fataz racing built the big bock for it.
  Build it how you want it, but make sure if you are going to send large coin, which this after market suspension costs, you get the best, and that's not RRS. Elite street at Capalaba are doing a wild 67 FB show car, it has a Mustang 2 type front end its very neat, its running a super charged Fataz racing 427 Windsor.
If you want a good tuff Windsor for it go see Woody, tell him I sent you, they do several of the TCM race engines , T/A engines , sports sedans, even does Shane Van-gisburgans drift engines.

Sounds like you are happy spend coin on this car, buy the best and dont look back, RSS and many other center steer racks are based on a GM J car which was a Camira, Deawoo used the same floor pan and rack, TCP actually make theirs from scatch.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 03:35:44 AM »
There are racks and there are racks. Flaming river for example will make you car drive like  model T but people buy them cause everyone know that its a rack so therefore it must be better.

yup.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 03:37:42 AM »
Single arm suspension is the crappiest set up ever designed. real race cars all use double wishbones.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2018, 03:39:08 AM »
I would seriously consider shaunp's suggestions if you want good performance, however, I'm pretty sure that carroll shelby would still smoke all of the recreational racers over here and over there with conventional design suspension and steering no matter what kind of "high performance" crap others put on their car.

I was a professional racer for many years, and can therefore tell people that the biggest secret to going faster is to simply learn how to drive or ride what they currently have, better. It really isn't rocket science.

Also, if one is serious about road racing, they have to butcher the body on their car with flares to get wider tires on it and use dedicated race tires. If they don't, all the fancy parts in the world will not help.

Offline QIK70

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »
Street machine of the year would hardly get driven, & I doubt they pay what you or I would pay either, I suspect they get  it the stuff for F-all as advertising. If you want it , buy it, not saying its no good but there is better stuff, a proper double wish bone set up will be better is all I'm saying, the best option is a weld in Mustang 2 type set up and have no shock towers at all. I think the notched towers look crap, do it properly and get rid of them all together, if you want better suspension.
 If you are going to go to the trouble and expense don't muck around look at all the options and buy the best.  I've got no issue with cutting these things up, they are just old cars, Ive put blown injected chev in a E type jag with mate, as race car, way more car than an old mustang will ever be and we cut it up.
 Ive  done a few RHD conversions on them cause I want them RHD, I dont go in for leave them how god made them and LHD is cool stuff, thats crap, never used a rack though on any, that's my choice, cause you can get them just as good with a variable ratio XF falcon box and a custom drag link, its less work to use rack though.
 Ralph's car on this forum is an expensive car, 67 factory big bock GTA fast back  with factory AC, deluxe trim etc full rotisserie resto, I converted it to  RHD and did all the suspension mods plus body work. Ian Woodward at Fataz racing built the big bock for it.
  Build it how you want it, but make sure if you are going to send large coin, which this after market suspension costs, you get the best, and that's not RRS. Elite street at Capalaba are doing a wild 67 FB show car, it has a Mustang 2 type front end its very neat, its running a super charged Fataz racing 427 Windsor.
If you want a good tuff Windsor for it go see Woody, tell him I sent you, they do several of the TCM race engines , T/A engines , sports sedans, even does Shane Van-gisburgans drift engines.

Sounds like you are happy spend coin on this car, buy the best and dont look back, RSS and many other center steer racks are based on a GM J car which was a Camira, Deawoo used the same floor pan and rack, TCP actually make theirs from scatch.

OK, next question. Where do i get a Mustang 2 front end from and whats involved with installing it?

Offline booah

• Worked
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
If you want more room and a proven set up, try this one, moves the shock mounting points to the lower control arm and will fit a coyote in the engine bay
https://mikemaierinc.com/product/mustang/mustang-mod2-front-suspension/

If you want to use the stock mounting points (but add the 1" Shelby drop) try this one. Its what I put on my 70 Mach 1.
https://mikemaierinc.com/product/mustang/mod1-front-suspension-package/

let me know if you want some pics of them on my car.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
OK, next question. Where do i get a Mustang 2 front end from and whats involved with installing it?

The term mustang 2 refers to suspension like what a 2nd Gen mustang had, there are several suppliers it is a double wish bone type set up that use short coil overs. Many suppliers make version, this allows you to have a greater engine choice as well, you could run a turbo barra, Coyote etc or a big windsor and have totally clean bay with keeps of room for proper pipes, which is what I'm stuggling with in my own car, It has to be welded in to the rails. but its the shit. below is an example , pretty sure Maier racing make one as well, there is no shortage of suppliers,  if start looking its the ultimate solution really.

http://www.heidts.com/part/ifs-for-64-70-mustang-and-67-70-cougar-and-60-65-falcon-and-64-65-comet/

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
Also have a look a Ride tech they make good stuff they have a good rear coil over set up, they do a strut front as well which is ok give they supply fabricated arms etc which allows for better angles similar to TCP Total control products system. weight it up and if the M2 is too much work for you, buy a coil over front end that include double wishbone and fabricated arms, they are stronger and have altered geometry, some thing you cant achieve to the same degree by using an original lower arm as RRS do. most /all of the fab type arms use GM type ball joints typically

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2018, 09:10:25 AM »
Here is a Ride tech front and rear coil over set up, if M2 is not for you, investigate this type of set up, but you are then some what restricted with cutting the towers  but there are other solution's to get really nice suspension, its a big market in the US every man and his dog make something, stick with the big guys though.
http://www.ridetech.com/products/suspension-packages/product-3294/

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
BTW do you want RHD or LHD?  Mustang II is LHD.

Offline QIK70

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »
Also have a look a Ride tech they make good stuff they have a good rear coil over set up, they do a strut front as well which is ok give they supply fabricated arms etc which allows for better angles similar to TCP Total control products system. weight it up and if the M2 is too much work for you, buy a coil over front end that include double wishbone and fabricated arms, they are stronger and have altered geometry, some thing you cant achieve to the same degree by using an original lower arm as RRS do. most /all of the fab type arms use GM type ball joints typically

Is there a Australian supplier for TCP products? Trying to establish TCP cost. Have a U.S. price of $2900 which is from CJ Pony parts

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
Save5   discount code always works for CJ Pony Parts if you end up going that way. 

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
If you want the ultimate in shock absorbers, buy computer controlled magnetic ones. It's around $6000.00 usd for a kit.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
I think The Muscle Car factory used to sell and use TCP

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
  • Name: Kyle
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
This whole topic has got me reading hard on mustang 2 IFS systems. As shaun said there are heaps.

I found Heidts, Mustangs to fear (do a complete subframe from the rear spring hangers forward), Maier racing, Autoworks International, TCP, AJE, Rod and Custom Motorsport.

They seems to be a great idea but I think from what I can see the avg to better kits will cost you around US$3-3,500 depending on extras etc. I am still looking into this but it's hard to pick which one to go for if you do. I have heard Heidts is a great kit and I know Maier stuff is great quality. It is a lot on of money once you factor in installation if you are like me and welding is a bit beyond me. The rest is easy enough.

Hate you guys when you bring up these topics and I second guess my original decision. Granted is was a lot less educated decision years ago but ah well.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2018, 03:37:04 PM »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »
Think Rod and custom do a full chassis. In real terms whats 3k for suspension, a good set of Koni shocks for original stuff  is $800 alone and in my mind that's what they need on an original setup,  start buying engine parts the Heads on my engine alone were $3.5K.

Offline booah

• Worked
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
Is there a Australian supplier for TCP products? Trying to establish TCP cost. Have a U.S. price of $2900 which is from CJ Pony parts

Unless you have sea freight, double the US price, thats landed as a best guess.

Offline HAMBURGLAR

• Worked
  • I NEED MORE MONEY
  • Name: mark
  • Car: 66 A code fastback 6R09A
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »
I think The Muscle Car factory used to sell and use TCP
Correct shaun , i got my TCP gear from Leo Banks at the muscle car factory.  I think he said he was looking at  the Heidts system as well.
66 A code fastback 347w , t5 , 3.8truetrak.
56 F100 Deluxe custom cab.

Offline Bitty65

• Pony
  • Welcome to the Mustang Forum
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
I always find this topic interesting and went through the same thought process regarding steering and suspension shortly after I bought my 65FB in 2012. There are certainly many options out there and it can get quite confusing in comparing them all.

In the end, I decided on some tweaks to the factory suspension as Shaunp has suggested in this thread and others and figured at the time that this was a reasonably cheap and easy upgrade and if I wasn't happy with it, then I could swap it out for something different.

Since 2012, I've travelled over 70,000km in the car, and have been very happy with the result.

In summary, the car has been converted to RHD, has XF power steer box, upper wish bone pivot drop, adjustable caster bars, Monte Carlo bar, has lowered springs and all bushes, ball joints etc. replaced. Caster runs at about 6.5 degrees.

Having said all this, one of our club members has RRS front suspension and steering in his 65 coupe and he said he's happy with it. I've not driven his car so not able to compare my setup versus his.

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
Wow, love the Mustangs to Fear subframe setup ...

https://www.mustangstofear.com/page.php?page=parts_catalog&yr=&prod=short_front_subframe_assembly

Nice isn't it. Complete frame. Almost a complete chassis. Could go the whole hog and get art morrison or swartz performance etc. ONLY US$12k or so depending on options. Won't fit in your suitcase either so shipping would be a killer.... :tissue:

https://www.artmorrison.com/maxg.php

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1964-1973-mustang-chassis-full-frame/

Only US$16k for a roadster shop  chassis.
http://roadstershop.com/product/brands/2254/

How big is your wallet?  :drool:

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
So Dingo did you want me to chase up more info on my belt setup?

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »
So Dingo did you want me to chase up more info on my belt setup?

That would be great if you could Luke. Thanks. I have the vintage air bracket for the A/C which technically the power steering pump attaches to, but I can't work it out with the RRS pump. Getting it all to line up with the second groove on the crank pulley seems to be my headache mostly but not the only one. Saginaw seems to work pretty well for some reason. Not sure what is different. Haven;t looked at it for a while as it just pissed me off so much.

Offline QIK70

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2018, 11:49:56 PM »
Wow,
Some awesome feedback on this topic!!
That is what i love about this kinda stuff! Everyone has done something different and has a different opinion. Im really at a cross road road.
I want her on the road ASAP but also want her to handle well...............

Visit Custom Mustangs