Author Topic: RRS coil overs - 1970  (Read 6401 times)

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: RRS coil overs - 1970
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »
unfortunately it is all relative. for me the 165 maier rear springs were perfect for my goals the 200,s would be closer to harsh. Barn is keeping it safer as no one knows what you will like.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
unfortunately it is all relative. for me the 165 maier rear springs were perfect for my goals the 200,s would be closer to harsh. Barn is keeping it safer as no one knows what you will like.
yup.  :thumb:

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
  • Name: Kyle
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
Fair point on the springs. Thanks guys

Offline 289 vert

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:11 AM »
Hey Shaun, Do you happen to have a link to the PBR disc/disc master? Or is it the same one with the residual removed?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
Hey Shaun, Do you happen to have a link to the PBR disc/disc master? Or is it the same one with the residual removed?

Its the same one but with the valve removed you can buy them either way.

Offline 289 vert

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
Thank you!

Offline 289 vert

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2018, 01:53:51 AM »
Shaun, I see it listed as a single flare, Hoppers call it a ball flare fitting. Is it a bubble flare?
Or a plain 45 degree double flare?
Thanks.

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
Make sure the willwoods have dust seals or they are not legal, The willwoods use a really thing disc as well typically which I'm not keen on.  The most cost effective  brake package long term is a locally made one from "UPC" in Melbourne these guys are great, they make the Spool diffs for Romac and Race a Torana in Touring car masters.
 They do a package using 300mm x30mm thick late model Falcon rotors with some larger PBR calipers,(Baer brakes re badge these Oz made PBR's to sell in the US) they make 3 brake sizes depending on wheel size. If you buy direct from the them the kits is about $1k but they also put them on E-bay I got the 300mm kit for $660, which is new hubs, bearings hoses, new rotors new calipers CNC brackets everything you need. Chuck some decent EBC pads in them and your done. Best part is they use Commodore and Falcon parts so new rotors are like $60 each and if you are stuck Super cheap or repco have the parts of a Sunday. Took me a couple of goes on Ebay to get them for the right price.

Do yourself a favor and check them out first. I run XF Falcon stub axles on mine they are much stronger than mustang and use a bigger bearing,  you need to run a falcon outer tie rod though. The falcon stub is 3/8 taller which adds some Camber curve for free, though it does raise the car a bit, but springs fix that. If you run a falcon stub you buy a Falcon kit
 You will need and adjustable proportioning valve to limit the pressure to the rears

http://www.upc-online.com.au/

Cheers Shaun.....
Ok, so this may sound like a stupid question, but, if i go ahead and purchase and install everything you have suggested, Springs, shocks etc etc plus putting a set of 18' or 19' wheels and tyres, will the guys in Capalaba still be able to lower it to the height I'm wanting?
Im wanting to do as much as i can myself and lie you said, get the experts to do the final set up.

Also, XF stubs from a wreckers or new?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »
You can let them select the springs if you want, and just put your old ones back in, but you'll need to fit something in it. What is the over all diameter of the 18's with you choice of tyre is the question. It may be still similar to a 15 with a 60-235 which is about 26.5" you will have  lower profile Tyre so the over all size is likely similar. I'm sure they can get it where you want it. why not call them, I'd just fit one that's close and trim it a bit, but that's me.

You'll have to get 2nd hand falcon stubs if you want to go that way. they will raise it a bit but the shelby drop will negate that. You can do the drop yourself just drill the holes an 1' lower, you can drop the rear holes an extra 1/8 which will give it more anti drive under brakes, but not really needed.
 if you use falcon stubs you need falcon outer tie rods. They run this set up on the TA cars but with a custom hub to hold their race brake package, I wouldn't put too low profile on it they get a bit bumpy.  Rod's 69 has big wheels and it sits ok go have a look at it he is at Helensvale he also narrowed his Diff to get a deeper dish on his rear wheels. Does the car have factory discs now?

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:01 PM »
You can let them select the springs if you want, and just put your old ones back in, but you'll need to fit something in it. What is the over all diameter of the 18's with you choice of tyre is the question. It may be still similar to a 15 with a 60-235 which is about 26.5" you will have  lower profile Tyre so the over all size is likely similar. I'm sure they can get it where you want it. why not call them, I'd just fit one that's close and trim it a bit, but that's me.

You'll have to get 2nd hand falcon stubs if you want to go that way. they will raise it a bit but the shelby drop will negate that. You can do the drop yourself just drill the holes an 1' lower, you can drop the rear holes an extra 1/8 which will give it more anti drive under brakes, but not really needed.
 if you use falcon stubs you need falcon outer tie rods. They run this set up on the TA cars but with a custom hub to hold their race brake package, I wouldn't put too low profile on it they get a bit bumpy.  Rod's 69 has big wheels and it sits ok go have a look at it he is at Helensvale he also narrowed his Diff to get a deeper dish on his rear wheels. Does the car have factory discs now?

Cheers Shaun,

I spoke to Ross at Suspension Dynamics today. Awesome bloke to speak to! Hopefully over the next couple of weeks i'll get it up to him and i'll have serious progress.
Cheers again for the recommendation.  :cheers:

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2018, 11:38:28 PM »

Cheers Shaun,

Would Fataz be able to sort out exhaust for the car as-well? If not can you recommend someone around the same area?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:56 AM »
Cheers Shaun,

Would Fataz be able to sort out exhaust for the car as-well? If not can you recommend someone around the same area?

They use Brian Pratt, just up the road at Exhaust Innovations he makes custom headers etc. Ive got to get my shell and engine down to him shortly to make set of custom tuned lenght headers to suit the engine. Nice guy does all of Fataz's work including all the race cars He is about 100m back up Steel St from Fataz, If you were going to get Ian to do the engine he would organised the pipes to suit it with Brian.

https://www.facebook.com/exhaustinnovations/

Visit Custom Mustangs