Author Topic: 1970 Mustang Coupe fuel tank vent  (Read 750 times)

Offline v8ford70

• Stallion
  • Grande
  • Name: Phil
1970 Mustang Coupe fuel tank vent
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:56:39 PM »
Anyone with a 1970 Mustang Coupe or other that has the plastic parts attached to their Fuel tank as in attached photo.Interested if you have this set up attached to your carby or disconnected. Cheers Phil
" Easy Livin " - Uriah Heep

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
Re: 1970 Mustang Coupe fuel tank vent
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
I would throw that entire pos system away and put a non emissions tank in or you might even be able t sell it.

Offline v8ford70

• Stallion
  • Grande
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
Barnett the photo is not of my car.The previous owner of my car had bolted a metal plate over where the plastic part attaches to tank & had removed the plastic parts & mounting bracket.The parts came with the car & I was considering putting it back on.He modified the fuel filler pipe by drilling a vent ? hole where the fuel cap attaches.I think the fuel cap that came with the car is non vented so I was checking to see if this hole was sufficient for a vent or if anyone had a different vent system (as I already had purchased a new non vented cap to match the one that came with the car).Attached are photos of my filler pipe & old fuel cap.Much appreciated for any help.Cheers Phil

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »
ok, that system already has a vent. if you did not plug it off then you do not need the vent hole in the filler pipe but it wont hurt anything.

Offline v8ford70

• Stallion
  • Grande
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
Sorry I may not have explained my situation clear,I was thinking of putting back in my car the same plastic set up as what is in the Trunk photo (which is of someone else car I found on Google).If I did I would need to know where the vent tube coming off the plastic set up attaches to.Or if I didn't put it back into my car & left the tank blanked off with the plate would my non vented fuel cap work ok with the drilled hole as a vent.Cheers Phil

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
The vent tube runs to a check-valve that attaches to the LH frame rail (near the park cable bracket) and then a steel line under the body to the firewall. The line runs along the firewall and links up to a charcoal canister that sits low in the RH side of the engine bay. From the canister, a hose runs to the rear of the air cleaner. So its a pretty complicated system!

I plan to put it in my 70 fastback as its something a bit different but I don't expect it to be functional as many seals (as in the check valve) are likely to be u/s after all these years.  There is also the complication of the fuel tank as they don't repo the emission tanks and so I am looking into transferring all the attachment points from the old tank to a new tank. Most people don't go to so much trouble but I want to run the original looking filler pipe on a new tank.

So its a bit of work for a system that most people haven't seen or know about but that uniqueness is why I'm putting mine in.

Offline v8ford70

• Stallion
  • Grande
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
Thanks for the info RocketScientist,cheers Phil

Visit Custom Mustangs