Author Topic: coupe to fastback conversion  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Brad24

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Brad

Online Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: coupe to fastback conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
Maybe one day when I get bored of the coupe look.

Hope you like welding Chris  :grin:

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »

That is a lesson in how to turn a very cheap pile of crap into a very expensive pile of crap.  :thud:

Offline Brad24

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Brad
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »
Itís got tears written all over it

Offline QIK70

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »

If i had the room, the time, the tools, why not give it a shot

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »
I don't understand the negativity here. They didn't start with a good car. It was a rust bucket that they have turned into something that will be an excellent fastback. This appeals to me because it doesn't have the value of an original car, so it's ideal for fitting modern mechanicals such as overdrive auto or 6 speed manual, 4 wheel discs, rack and pinoin steering etc. Hell...you could even fit a small block Chev to it.

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
It was a rust bucket that they have turned into something that will be an excellent fastback.

No it will not.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »
That's your opinion mate, but in my opinion I would prefer to have a car that has been restored with new panels than something that hasn't. And I'd have a fastback over a coupe any day of the week.

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
That's your opinion mate...

ummm, no it is not an opinion, it is a fact.

The Mustang shop I was partners in test fitted a lot of parts for dynacorn before they mass produced them, plus we sold dynacorn parts, so I know better than most anyone just how crappy they sometimes were. I am also very familiar with the complete pos fastback body they make and the one they built for the SEMA show in Las Vegas to debut it and I know that they spent round $20,000.00 usd just on body work to get it to line up nice enough to paint.

Also, after you spend $30,000.000 usd or more tho fix the body and paint it, you then have to try and get all the special fastback interior pieces and if you ever do get them all you then have to try and get them to fit.

If one were to ever get a coupe converted into a fastback so it wasn't a pos, they still should consider how much they will loose when they sell it considering it will probably be worth only around 1/2 of what a true fastback is.

Online skinner36

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: John
  • Car: 1965 FB
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
ummm, no it is not an opinion, it is a fact.

The Mustang shop I was partners in test fitted a lot of parts for dynacorn before they mass produced them, plus we sold dynacorn parts, so I know better than most anyone just how crappy they sometimes were. I am also very familiar with the complete pos fastback body they make and the one they built for the SEMA show in Las Vegas to debut it and I know that they spent round $20,000.00 usd just on body work to get it to line up nice enough to paint.

Also, after you spend $30,000.000 usd or more tho fix the body and paint it, you then have to try and get all the special fastback interior pieces and if you ever do get them all you then have to try and get them to fit.

If one were to ever get a coupe converted into a fastback so it wasn't a pos, they still should consider how much they will loose when they sell it considering it will probably be worth only around 1/2 of what a true fastback is.

hahahah The penny just dropped. I just figured out what pos stands for

Online 65 GT HIPO

• Stallion
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »
No different from wleding a S code  vin into a Dynacorn  body ..  FRAUD......
65  K CODE GT COUPE
65  K CODE COUPE

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
To each their own I suppose. I would rather start with a new steel panel than have a nicely painted panel with the inside of it covered in surface rust. I thought it was made clear in the video that they were taking the time to make each panel fit perfectly. It's no different to fitting the replacement panels sold by Rare Spares. Everyone knows that they don't fit perfectly and need work to make them fit, but they are still much better than rusty original panels. It's common knowledge how crappy the fit is on original cars and it bothered me at first on my car how the boot trim didn't line up with the corresponding pieces on the quarter panels, but then I started looking at other fastbacks and saw how common the problem is.
As for how much money you would "loose" on selling the car, they also stated the fact in the video of how scarce good fastbacks were becoming, so any fastback in good condition is going to be worth good coin in my opinion.

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 05:33:20 PM »
hahahah The penny just dropped. I just figured out what pos stands for

Positively Outstanding & Superb

:lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
I thought it was made clear in the video that they were taking the time to make each panel fit perfectly.

No it was not, but even if they were it still does not change the FACT that it is economically unsound to build a fb from a coupe. 

I would rather start with a new steel panel than have a nicely painted panel with the inside of it covered in surface rust.

You are obviously ASSUMING that all fastbacks are rusty, but even if there is some surface rust in areas that are hard to clean, all one has to do is get the body dipped to remove it. There really isn't any rocket science to this.

To each their own I suppose.

Well since ALL that brown discoloration you see on the floors and inside the doors of that pos coupe they are using is RUST, it sounds like you prefer to start building a fastback out of a rusty coupe than start with a rusty fastback.  :shrug:

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
I'm assuming that they aren't that shoddy that they wouldn't treat that rust before fitting the new panels. Obviously we can't see the whole process in a short video, but I believe the job can be done properly to end up with a good product......but that's just my opinion as I don't have any personal experience in doing this conversion.
Bottom line is fastbacks are getting scarce and if I couldn't find a decent one I'd still prefer one of these modified cars than buy a coupe.   :bolt:

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
I'm assuming that they aren't that shoddy that they wouldn't treat that rust before fitting the new panels.

ummm...yes they are that shoddy! 

They simply ground away some of the rust where they were attaching the panel so they could get enough clean metal to weld to it. There will still be some rust between the panels they joined together. 
:thud:

Besides, you can not "treat" rust, you either remove it or you do not. Again, there is no rocket science to this.

:agree:

Bottom line is fastbacks are getting scarce and if I couldn't find a decent one I'd still prefer one of these modified cars than buy a coupe.   :bolt:

Then you are either extremely wealthy or you simply don't care that your car will not fit together properly inside or outside.

I don't have any personal experience in doing this conversion.

That is blatantly obvious.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »
Well down here we have many rust treatment products such as Deoxidene which work quite well in neutralising rust, which can then be painted.
It looks like we differ in the respect that you obviously believe there's no one in your country that can massage metal into shape. You must be used to dealing with dodgy Mexicans to do your body work.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: Mustangless!
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 12:46:34 AM »
Trying to do something like that here in Oz would end up costing you more than a decent genuine fastback due to labour costs unless you have the skills and requisite equipment to pretty much do all of it yourself.  At the end of the day, the VIN will still identify the car as a coupe and the value would be determined by what it is: a pig wearing lipstick.

Can't see how it's any more a 'real' fastback than just starting with a complete Dynacorn body and we all know that is a big no-no in Australia as you'd have to transplant a VIN from another car.  The whole thing is dodgy as IMHO...  :bolt:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 03:48:13 AM »
It looks like we differ in the respect that you obviously believe there's no one in your country that can massage metal into shape. You must be used to dealing with dodgy Mexicans to do your body work.

lol, there is nothing in my posts that suggest that I don't think there is anyone in the US that can do good body work, and in fact, I have had excellent body work done here by a few different shops. I am also capable of doing some of the body work myself as I am an engineer and fabricator and can make the panels nearly perfectly flush with near perfect gaps. On the gaps, I sometimes weld wide areas and grind and file narrow areas so they are the same width all around. Some of my cars have won Gold awards in the trailered class at the MCA shows in the US which uses much higher judging standards than your club in oz does, and that is another fact and not an opinion.  :smile01:

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 03:57:56 AM »
At the end of the day, the VIN will still identify the car as a coupe and the value would be determined by what it is: a pig wearing lipstick.

Hi, I'm a fastback built out of a rusty coupe with the finest low grade crappy shit metal Taiwan has to offer.

Don't I look pretty!

Online Clubman7

• Worked
  • On the road.
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
Does that make it better or worse than a full Dynacorn replacement body shell.
Would be easier I would if thought to get a rebuilt coupe registered than a new body shell.
Also if you are carving the rear quarters off the car to replace them you would have to consider the changeover due to half the work being done anyway.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: Mustangless!
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 10:18:32 AM »
Does that make it better or worse than a full Dynacorn replacement body shell.
Would be easier I would if thought to get a rebuilt coupe registered than a new body shell.

Much easier to register the coupe if it still carries its original dash tag.  But it will always be regarded as a coupe due to the body type identified in the VIN.  So at the end of the day, you've spent fastback money on the car but to most people it will only be worth coupe money when it comes time to sell.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
Jesus! You're as bad as my Missus, always have to have the last word.
As I said earlier I don't have any experience with these particular panels, but I have restored a couple of cars (HR Premier sedan and a HQ ute) using rust replacement panels and door skins from Taiwan and the Phillipines. These weren't perfect fit panels, some I had to shorten, some I had to lengthen, but what I'm trying to say is that they are a better option in most cases than trying to use rusty bog filled panels from the wreckers.
The point I'm trying to get across is that starting with a reasonable shell, having it sand blasted or acid dipped, new panels fitted properly is a viable option to end up with a nice car. The pig with lipstick would be some of the cars coming from your country with terrific paint jobs and panels full of chicken wire and bog.
The other point that they were making on the show is that they were doing it because good fastbacks are becoming hard to find and are very expensive. Therefore I would prefer to use this method of having a good fastback body that I could fit modern mechanicals to have a good driving car without losing the value of an original car. I never said anything about trying to defraud anyone or doing it as an investment, all I would want is a rust free good driving fastback.

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 12:50:54 PM »
Jesus! You're as bad as my Missus, always have to have the last word.

:therethere:

ummm...we don't know exactly whom you are referring to, however, by your post it would seem to some that it is actually you whom are trying to have the last word.

Now that I have made this post, it is I whom have had the last word unless you or someone else makes another post, at which point it would be they whom had the last word and so on.

We could even give a prize to the person whom had the last word. Maybe it could be enough lipstick to paint some red lips on the front of a rusty taiwan fastback coupe conversion.   :thumb:

I think this shade would look rather nice, don't you?

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Now we need a thread about the correct use of "whom".

Visit Custom Mustangs