Author Topic: Spark plugs and leads  (Read 646 times)

Offline QIK70

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
Spark plugs and leads
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
Gday guys.

What are the best plugs for a 302W that has Luke warm performance ??

Also, I知 needing a new set of leads but I知 after the exact length so it looks nice and tidy.

Cheer

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Spark plugs and leads
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »
Nothing but NGK plugs .  Not sure but AP5 FS comes to mind . If it's  the 13/16 head plug . BP5 FS if the 5/8 headed plug .   

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »
Gday guys.

What are the best plugs for a 302W that has Luke warm performance ??

Also, I知 needing a new set of leads but I知 after the exact length so it looks nice and tidy.

Cheer

Hi QIK70, what is the exact length? It depends on how you want to route them. I purchased a set of SBF NGK leads for my 289 and they wouldn't fit the way I wanted. Then I purchased a set on Amazon labelled JBA but made by Petronix with cylinder number labels for dummies like me and still they are shorter than I wanted on the number one cylinder but number 8 could wrap around the carby a couple of times and still fit. Only real option is to get the ones you cut to length yourself like the sets made by MSD.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »

R45 is fine if heads are stock.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
You can get a kit to make up your own leads to the exact length you want. As Mark said, the routing affects length.

I got an Accel kit to do mine and I'm happy with the result. It comes with 8 equal length leads with the plug end already on it (90 degree boots in my case but you get straight or 45's) and both old school and HEI terminals you crimp on to the dizzy end after cutting each one to the desired length. Plus a coil lead of course.

That said, while I'm happy with how it turned out it was a real pain to get the rubber boot on to the bare lead and then pull it back over the terminal as the boot is necessarily very tight on the lead and you're dealing with a 90 degree bend. The instructions said to use WD40 or similar to lubricate this process but I found that was useless and used a couple of drops of engine oil instead but it was still very hard work. I don't want to ever do it again. A quality crimping tool is pretty essential.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
You can get a kit to make up your own leads to the exact length you want. As Mark said, the routing affects length.

I got an Accel kit to do mine and I'm happy with the result. It comes with 8 equal length leads with the plug end already on it (90 degree boots in my case but you get straight or 45's) and both old school and HEI terminals you crimp on to the dizzy end after cutting each one to the desired length. Plus a coil lead of course.

That said, while I'm happy with how it turned out it was a real pain to get the rubber boot on to the bare lead and then pull it back over the terminal as the boot is necessarily very tight on the lead and you're dealing with a 90 degree bend. The instructions said to use WD40 or similar to lubricate this process but I found that was useless and used a couple of drops of engine oil instead but it was still very hard work. I don't want to ever do it again. A quality crimping tool is pretty essential.

Geoff, I used a MSD lead kit and silicone lube spray and it was slipperier than a .........

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »
Geoff, I used a MSD lead kit and silicone lube spray and it was slipperier than a .........

Now you tell me! I would file this away but there won't be a next time.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »

yup...or the silicon gel. it should also be used on the inside of the boot and the outside of the plug if you ever want to get them off again easily.

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
The instructions said to use WD40 or similar to lubricate this process but I found that was useless and used a couple of drops of engine oil instead but it was still very hard work. I don't want to ever do it again. A quality crimping tool is pretty essential.

Those instructions are bad, one should never use any oil or oil based product on electrical parts.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
Now you tell me! I would file this away but there won't be a next time.

Yep that dielectric stuff is the go. Wasn稚 sure how to spell it in my original post. I grabbed a can of this super lube silicone spray from our maintenance store before we ripped it down. We used to use it by the gallon to lubricate headrest stays so the met the push pull requirements. Design result was a bit stiff. I think there are a couple more cans there so i値l Grab one and give it to you at Wednesdays meeting if your going.
 :cheers:

Visit Custom Mustangs