Author Topic: Possible to retrofit a dash?  (Read 567 times)

Offline 6288mustang

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
Possible to retrofit a dash?
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
Would anybody here know if it is possible to retrofit a 68 model dash to a 69 model or is there anybody that has done that? I think the 68 model has a nicer looking dash arrangement but the body of the 69 series is the best looking to me and was wondering if it was possible to combine the two without heavy modification to make it all work.
Thanks for any info in advance.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
Re: Possible to retrofit a dash?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »
Quote from http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/432397-69-68-dash-area-conversion.html

"It would be a MAJOR undertaking. The first problem that comes to mind is the lower dash. You'd have to cut one out of a '68 and then try to find a way to either weld or bolt it into the '69. Without the lower dash of a '67/'68, it would take a LOT of fabrication to get everything to fit. While you have the dash out, would be the time to rewire the car for the other gauges. About the only thing the 2 cars have in common, wiring wise is the fact that they both have a fuse box ::. The wiring changed COMPLETELY throughout the car in '69, as they went with the printed circuit board for the dash, instead of the individual wiring for the all the components."
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
Why do I get the feeling, that after cutting and pasting 2 random posts off other forums, his next post will try to get us to go to his website.

Offline 6288mustang

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »
Does anyone know of or is it even possible to buy a new bolt on dash pad for the 69 model to change the design and look? Being largely bolted in i would have thought someone would have developed something as its not a terrible looking dash with the right materials but there are better design options.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »
The '69 Cougar dash would probably be the closest to a direct swap if that appeals...

Cheers,
Brian

Visit Custom Mustangs