Author Topic: 73 fadtback mustangs in Australia  (Read 621 times)

Offline Family project

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: damian
73 fadtback mustangs in Australia
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
Hi everybody. We're looking to buy a 73 mustang 351. I was
hopping if there is a way of identifying how many 73 hardtop where imported into Australia. Thanks, damian

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
Re: 73 fadtback mustangs in Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
Probably none were officially imported as new cars.  Would be impossible to tell how may have been privately imported since then.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »
Well, I do know one was imported new in early í74, a red í73 Mach 1 just like mine by my restorerís father.  But beyond that, like Brian said, itís hard to tell how many have been imported since 1973.  My car is a Mach 1 fastback as they all were but my rego says itís a red 1973 Ford coupe.  No indication itís a Mustang or what body style at all, that would only confuse the pen pushers at Vic Roads. 

Going by the number of big boy Mustangs ie. the í71 Ėí73 models at club events, as Iím a member of the Mustang Owners Club of Vic, they are rare enough, but picking a í73 out of that small pool is even more difficult.  Like you, I wanted one of the big bad boys, preferably with a 351C but a 429 was also on my wish list when I was looking.  As there were few here that I could choose from, I eventually found one in the States after three years that fitted my model, drivetrain colour, options and condition and was lucky that was when the exchange rate was better.  Iím not selling mine anytime soon as itís a great ride which is the good news so good choice on your part.

Overall, this may not be what you want to hear but I was in that boat and I got what I wanted by being very patient.  That is my main advice if you can wait and scour US websites, I found mine on Craigslist which was unexpected as there is some real crap there but itís surprising where genuine sellers bob up on the web. 

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »
There's one for sale on Ebay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162761191562
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Hak

• Worked