Author Topic: Thermostat  (Read 408 times)

Online mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
Thermostat
« on: November 19, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »

I am interested to understand the benefit or difference using a 160 degree t stat v a 180?

Is a std 65 cooling system capable of operating efficiently enough to support a 160 t stat? Or will it basically open in hot weather and remain open?

Anyway interested in opinions.

Cheers
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline GLENN 70

• Cobra
Re: Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
With a 160 the thermostat opens at 160 deg and if the engine runs hotter than 160 which it should it stays open .  A 180 opens at 180 deg and that's around where the engine temp should be 180-190 deg NOT at 160 deg . Don't depend on old temp gauges that show cold to hot ,because what does that mean ? . Don't run a old 8 lb cap either ,12-14 lb is better .  The thermostat opens and closers to maintain the engine temp .

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB - Tropical Turquoise / Standard White
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Glenn is right - the thermostat is there to get to and maintain a minimum temperature, not to keep a set temperature or maximum.

The actual temperature will depend on tune, engine build (cam and other components like compression) etc.

The faster you get to the car's normal operating temperature the better - less wear and tear on the engine.  Glenn says 180 is around where your engine operating temp should be, so a 180 thermostat would be the way to go.

Online mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
With a 160 the thermostat opens at 160 deg and if the engine runs hotter than 160 which it should it stays open .  A 180 opens at 180 deg and that's around where the engine temp should be 180-190 deg NOT at 160 deg . Don't depend on old temp gauges that show cold to hot ,because what does that mean ? . Don't run a old 8 lb cap either ,12-14 lb is better .  The thermostat opens and closers to maintain the engine temp .

Yep I understand the function. I have a 180 in at the moment which we put in when I did the performer inlet and new carby. Also put a new temp sending and it is in a slightly different location than in the previous stock 2 bbl manifold. The ďgaugeĒ is indicating higher than it used to but as Iíve described there are a lot of change points so I dont think that means much. I measured the manifold with an infrared just behind the thermo housing after a solid run today and it was 180. The bottom hose a tick over 160 so I think that confirms its operating exactly as it should. It does ride up a little in traffic though. I was Just wondering why Iíve heard people taste about using 160 degree t stat and the pros and cons.  :cheers:

Offline shaunp

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
New sender is just different I reckon

Online mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
New sender is just different I reckon

Yep I agree and I took the actual with the infrared so am happy with the current condition. Certainly notice true performance increase with the manifold and carb. It went super today. I modified the bell crank kick down to suit the Holley accelerator linkage and its all worker very nicely.

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 01:49:03 PM »
Iíve heard people taste about using 160 degree t stat

I didn't know they were edible.  :lmao:

Online BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: Mustangless!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
The ďgaugeĒ is indicating higher than it used to but as Iíve described there are a lot of change points so I dont think that means much.

Plus you are extracting more HP from the engine now so it will be producing more heat.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
Yep I agree and I took the actual with the infrared so am happy with the current condition. Certainly notice true performance increase with the manifold and carb. It went super today. I modified the bell crank kick down to suit the Holley accelerator linkage and its all worker very nicely.

For having tested the Infrared on my hot engine, it is not that accurate.

My temperature gauge was hardly moving on my car and I changed the temperature sending unit - however you have no clues of what is the temperature of the engine in relation with the needle position on the gauge : just Cold or Hot!  What I did is connect the temp sending unit to my gauge wire than plunge it in a kettle while heating the water - I used  a mercury thermometer ( range 0 to 200deg Celcius)  and had someone in my car taking photos of my gauge at specific temp:  65, 75, 85, 95 deg Celcius - Now I know exactly what is the temperature of my engine by reading the needle.

Having done that and installing back the temp sending unit in my manifold, I noticed my engine was not going pass 75 Deg Celcius even in traffic and AC full on ( outside temp 27 deg Celcuis)  -  my thermostat was a 160 deg F  one( 71.1deg C) - So ordered a 180 F thermostat and after doing a deep radiator flush I installed the 180 F Thermostat...Now my car sits on 82 Deg Celcius most of the time and go up to 85/86 Deg...

So pretty happy with the set up !

Visit Custom Mustangs