Author Topic: Aftermarket Parts - Where is the quality??  (Read 601 times)

Offline Tarheel

• Stallion
Aftermarket Parts - Where is the quality??
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I am finding more and more of these aftermarket parts to just be faulty or complete rubbish.

In recent months, I had a brand new Scott Drake turn signal switch fail. An Auto Electrician fitted it and it only lasted a couple of weeks. I had to replace it with another brand. I was probably out of pocket about $150 with that experience.

Today I found out I have no brake lights. After doing a few tests, it appears to be a faulty brake pressure switch. Once again, this is a brand new item.

I am feeling the stuff sold is just utter rubbish, what do you guys think?

Offline Shep69

• Thoroughbred
Re: Aftermarket Parts - Where is the quality??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:37:36 PM »
Completely agree. I have purchased a lot of parts for my 69 over the last few years and get totally pissed off when the part finally arrives and it sub standard. Taiwanese 💩. Nothing worse than forking out you hard earned coin on dud parts. We need to get a spreadsheet going on reproduction parts to sort the good from the bad.

:ouch:

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:16:46 AM »
We need to get a spreadsheet going on reproduction parts to sort the good from the bad.

Unfortunately, the "good" list will be extremely short.  :thud:

Offline Tarheel

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
It is so disappointing and not to mention dangerous. Brake lights... This is something that can cause a serious accident.

With the brake light switch / pressure switch... How do these actually fail? They are such a crude mechanical device, where I thought not a lot can go wrong?

Does anyone have a part number for a quality replacement? Something like a Tridon or PBR?

Also... On the master cylinder, I see a capped off port and wondered if I can plug the new brake light switch into there? The current location for the switch is in a dog of a location and means I need to pull lines out just to get at it.

Thanks!

Offline prlanger

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »
Hi guys,

I have always purchased from NPD in Detroit or online - have done for years.  Generally buy everything apart from engine/trans/diff components.  They will usually have 2 or more levels of the same part - different supplier.  They can advise you of their recommendation.  Depends if you are in the US and just want a cheep refit part or up to quality repro or CCource.  I always buy the better...Never had a problem (that I did not cause).  P
68 GT S code vert
71 Mach 1 CJ 429

Offline minipete

• Pony
  • Occasional visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
My Scott Drake indicator switch is still going strong after 4 years touch wood.

I have replaced a few brake pressure switches, not Mustang specific parts and they all seem to be rubbish, not good for such a crucial component.

Next time mine goes I am putting a mechanical switch on the pedal, check this thread, looks simple.

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,32700.msg314005.html#msg314005

Online skinner36

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: John
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »
I have found so many Scott Drake parts that either don't fit properly or don't work properly.

Surely they must be at least a little embarrassed especially considering the wording on their logo (see attachment)

Visit Custom Mustangs