Author Topic: MERT  (Read 4416 times)

Online teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
MERT
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
I would just like to notify the members of this forum site that Richard (Mert) Smykay passed away on Saturday 11th March after a short battle with cancer. For those wondering why he hasnít posted on this site for quite some time, he was diagnosed early in the second half of last year with an incurable form of cancer & while still able, went back to his home country of America to spend some time with his mum & sister. His mum passed away early this year but Richard was not well enough to travel back to attend her funeral service. He will be privately cremated & his ashes will be taken back to where he was born & scattered around his favourite fishing spot.
I am sure he will be greatly missed by the members of this forum site & the Mustang community in general.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
Re: MERT
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:14:39 AM »
Very sad to hear - do we know how old he was?
Cheers,
Brian

Online teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »
He was 58. Way too young.

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969Rcode CJ 4spd
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »

Very very sad news indeed , he will be missed by a lot of people ,RIP  Richard
1969 R Code 428 4 speed 9RO2R******
1969 GT350H Shelby 9F02M48****

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:12 AM »
That's really sad, he was always very keen to help out.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
Well that's a crap way to start the day learning that. His contribution to the forum was very valuable. I had a bit of PM interchange with him at one stage and he was very helpful.

I didn't know he was American.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '68 J Code GT 4 speed
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 09:56:11 AM »
From memory he had at least 2 or 3 classic Mustangs and a large collection of hard to find spare parts.

I bought a couple of items from him and he was always willing to help out if you needed something.

All the best to his family and friends at this difficult time.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Brian

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
That's very sad news Peter . Rest in peace Richard ( Mert)  we didn't think he would see this year or last Christmas but he proved how strong he was . RIP buddy .

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
I had the pleasure of meeting up with Richard early last year up at his south Brisbane home. Prior to that time he had always offered a lot of advise in any regard with any shape and model of Mustang directly and indirectly through this forum and indeed others.

Through Dino, another active Mustang forum member mate of mine here in Sydney, it was organised for Richard to carry out a pre inspection of my current Mustang which was for sale out of Brisbane at the time.

Richard was of course more than obliging and I had full trust in his feed back prior to myself and Dino flying up and striking the deal.

With the short visit in the time we had spare before driving back home, I found Richard more than accommodating and of course very proud to show and tell about his fantastic collection of 68`s as to which he was of course very knowledgeful.

Mustangs ,along with his beloved dog were his passion.

I wish we had more time to spare, as he had suggested `to maybe burn some steaks on the barby and have a few beers` or to just have a quick squiz at my toys, 'if it isn't on the cards, no worries...well we did have only a few beers and marvelled over his collection of beautiful cars, unfortunately we didn't get to burn a few steaks...

Rest in peace Mert, you sure are going to be missed

Matt

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
I knew Richard fairly well as we lived quite close to each other. I visited a number of times, as well as he visiting my place a number of times. I sold him parts, he helped me out, and I enjoyed his company. His knowledge was extensive which was reflected in his excellent 4 car collection. I wish him a safe ride and the best wishes to his sister and family. RIP Richard.

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
Very sad to hear about Richard (Mert ) as I only knew him over phone conversations I can say that he will be sorely missed by the MOCA community as his contributions were always spot on. RIP MERT.

Online Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
Very sad news indeed.

Certainly makes you appreciate the precious time we do have with our family and friends.

Offline Evo

• Stallion
  • Living the Dream
  • Name: Evan
  • Car: 66 c code coupe
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
RIP ........YOUNG FELLA.
Yes,  thats way to young to be parting company with family and friends.
My sincere condolences to his mates and family.

Offline Bucks

• Worked
  • Name: Dave
  • Car: 66 Fastback 289 4 speed
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »
Very sad to hear. I was brand new to the forum last year, and he was only to keen to help with my search for a mustang.
I am sure he will be missed by family and friends and this forum, he had a wealth of knowledge.

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »
I had worried this maybe the reason I haven't heard from Richard on the form in quite some time.

Such a terrible thing to happen to such a top bloke I remember for the mustang concourse Richard helped me get my car together every weekend until it was finished.

Was always the sort of bloke to help out if you ever needed anything.

Rip buddy.
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline mwizz

• Boss
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
RIP Mert

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »
Got this message around to the concours forum and also the california special forum as he was active over there too. Such sad news... He was a great guy. met up with him in multiple times in Brisbane and also in Perth.

RIP Mate.

Offline blackthunder1970

• Worked
  • Name: barry
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
rip mert
1970 brandy wine  427 cammer mach 1
1970 grabber orange 428 cj mach 1
1970 blue 428 cj mach 1
1970 blue 428 scj w code mach 1
1970 project 428 cj mach 1 fully loaded and un touched
1970 gt 500 convertible replica
used to own
2 66 fastbacks
69 boss 302 original paint yellow
69 boss 302 project
69 mach 1 428cj blue
69 mach1 428 scj red auto
69 mach1 428 scj black 4 speed
69 mach 1 351 4v auto
70 mach1 428 cj auto white
70 mach1 428 cj auto white fully optioned
70 mach1 428 cj auto yellow original paint should have keep it
70 boss 302

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
Well that's very sad indeed. He was a regular contributor to this forum and a font of knowledge of all things Mustang, particularly with his much-loved '68s.
I met him once at his home when I called around to buy some manuals he had offered up for sale. He said he was about to go overseas. I had indeed since noticed he hadn't been active on the forum for some time but assumed he was perhaps still away working somewhere.
He was very hospitable, and I was impressed by his collection of '68 Mustangs and in particular the EXP500 replica he had built.
RIP Mert, taken way too young.

Offline GT350Lad

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:42 PM »
I am really sorry to hear this. He was a great guy who helped me with a few things. Really really sad.
RIP and thanks for all you did for me.

6S373

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
Very sad to hear, I too had bought and sold mustang parts with Richard, was also very helpful and I was quite amazed the first time I met him that he was quite willing to show me (A relative stranger) his collection and his collection was second to none.
RIP Mert
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »
RIP Mert, He helped me out heaps when I installed my convertible top, he sent me a copy of his pre published convertible top manual.  Sadly missed
Tim

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »
I met Richard a few years ago and if in QLD would always try to catch up. He was always very hospitable and helpful. He loved his mustangs and loved to tinker all the time. I am not surprised by the comments just how helpful he was to the mustang community.
It was through this forum that I made contact with Richard about my convertible top. Richard was fascinated with the first generation convertible tops.  I mentioned to him that I was considering fabricating bushing kits for the tops and he was eager to assist me in any way. I sent the first kit to him to test on his jig that he made and with Richard's help the kits became a reality. He had completed a lot of research and was writing a detailed book on the tops (350pages). I was asked to per review it for him a couple of years ago and from my last conversation last year he was still working on it.
His knowledge was a gift that will be dearly lost but not forgotten in the mustang community. My condolences to family and friends.

Rest In peace Richard.

Dino

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:40 AM »
So sorry to hear this sad news.
Condolences to Richard's family.

Evan.

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
  • Not a bogan, but I like dem big V8's!
  • Name: Hugh
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »
RIP Richard. I will miss our phone calls and meeting up in Brisbane on the occasions we could get together.
The measure of the guy was one of our last calls when all he could talk about was how others were affected.

A very helpful mustanger and as others have said, far too young and healthy to go out this way.
Grumpy old git!

Visit Custom Mustangs