Author Topic: 65 Coupe Restomod build  (Read 41831 times)

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: 65 Coupe Restomod build
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
For $60 you could get the high beam and two indicator led warning lights that I purchased, if you wanted to go that way. Might save you some time on that lathe  :smile01:

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
yep, definitely an option to look into. :thumb:

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
So continuing the theme of using valuable time to install things that aren't on my list, I went to supercheaps 25% off sale yesterday, and came home with a rear view mirror with reverse camera. I have a little one, plus live in a complex with lots of other little ones, and have to reverse into my garage, so as a safety item I think they are fantastic.
It clips onto your standard mirror, however the 65 mirror is too thin for the clips to work without padding up the clips or something similar. I removed the clips and used a strong double sided tape to fix it to the standard mirror, that way the clips aren't visible. Then ran the cables under the headliner, down the A pillar, connected it to power there and also ran a video cable to the rear. The camera is mounted to the underside of the rear bumper, and although visible not too noticeable.

The larger mirror is actually pretty good, although it is now touch and go with the sunvisors. From the front at a quick glance you still see the chrome mirror, once you have a better look you can see the larger mirror fixed on.

All in all an easy install, just time consuming due to running the wires etc.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »
So continuing the theme of using valuable time to install things that aren't on my list, I went to supercheaps 25% off sale yesterday, and came home with a rear view mirror with reverse camera. I have a little one, plus live in a complex with lots of other little ones, and have to reverse into my garage, so as a safety item I think they are fantastic.
It clips onto your standard mirror, however the 65 mirror is too thin for the clips to work without padding up the clips or something similar. I removed the clips and used a strong double sided tape to fix it to the standard mirror, that way the clips aren't visible. Then ran the cables under the headliner, down the A pillar, connected it to power there and also ran a video cable to the rear. The camera is mounted to the underside of the rear bumper, and although visible not too noticeable.

All in all an easy install, just time consuming due to running the wires etc.

Simon, did you connect it to the reversing light switch on the trans or a separate manual switch?

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2017, 05:01:58 PM »
The rear camera is connected to the power cable that goes to your reverse lights. So when you hit reverse, it powers the camera, which then sends a signal via the rca cable to the mirror.
The mirror is connected to ignition power, and once it receives the rca signal it will switch the lcd screen on.

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »
Cheers fellas.

Ticked off a couple things on my list today.

Had some nuts welded onto the outer u bolts to secure the handbrake cable housings.

Fit the fire extinguisher to the front of the passenger seat pan. Easily reachable from the drivers side without undoing the seat belt.

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Took the springs out this morning(surprisingly easy with the lowered springs I have) and adjusted the ride height. I am happy with it now, it is about an 1" lower. The tire is just tucked under the guard, but I have plenty of clearance with the lower camber kit installed. Pictures are crappy but you get the idea.

I was playing with the idea of installing 6.75" kicker low profile subs in the seat pans. My mate who is a sound system guru talked me out of it though. While he said they might sound ok, for the money, time and effort, go for a more conventional approach as it is already proven. So I ended up listening to him and bought a Fusion 10" active subwoofer. Installed it this afternoon, which was easy as I ran all the sub cabling when I originally installed my sound system(as I knew I would want one eventually). It sounds fantastic! With the equalizer at the front I can adjust the bass on the fly, really really happy with the outcome.

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
Got the angle grinder out and attacked my front valance. Goal was to let more air in, as the oil cooler and power steering cooler are behind the valance(not to mention 1/3 of the radiator).
Filled up the space with a billet grill which matched the scott drake one I had.
More airflow FTW!

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
Spent the morning taking part in a motorkhana day in sydney today.
Tried to really give it some  and see if there was anything a miss. The car performed brilliantly, no problems whatsoever. There wasn't many people, so I did run after run. No overheating at all. The car would get to around 205 after a run but straight back down to 195ish when idling, and thats with the fans on low. These AU fans are awesome.

The car handled very wheel, so I am very happy with the suspension setup and the bracing. The body felt very tight when thrown around. The trutrac was awesome too, definately recommend.

Only thing that wasn't good for motorkhana was the borgeson ps box. You really need something with 3 or under lock to lock. The borgeson felt slow compared to a rack and pinion in this style of driving. Having said that though, the power steering got a big workout, full lock and high rpms, and there was no leaking or boiling over, so I believe the hoses under the guard and the cooler definitely help.

It's good with a v8 though, you just turn the nose in, put your foot down and the side kicks out. No clutch kicking or handbrake needed  :cheers:

More pics to come

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »
Great that your getting enjoyment out of the car now, like the additional front grill as well.

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »
Thanks mate. With the front grille, I will say that while I haven't tested it on the same day same temp, I believe it has dropped the highway temps down up to 10dg f, and maybe 5dg idling.

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
Got to get the stang on a dyno earlier this week. Pulse Racing in engadine were kind enough to let me tune the car in the passenger seat while they operated the dyno. Thankfully the tune was pretty good and we were only on the dyno for an hour doing small timing tweaks on the top end and some fueling down low.

Ended up making 256hp at the rears on a very safe tune consistently for a few runs. Not too bad for 302 with a small cam but I think there is more power there. I think the hipo manifolds are restricting it a bit, so some attention there may be in order next.

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2017, 06:14:28 PM »
Few more pics I found from the motorkhana

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #239 on: May 05, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
And now that I'm happy with the car, I'm moving on to the next stage of the build....... :grin:

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
Got to get the stang on a dyno earlier this week. Ended up making 256hp at the rears on a very safe tune consistently for a few runs. Not too bad for 302 with a small cam but I think there is more power there. I think the hipo manifolds are restricting it a bit, so some attention there may be in order next.

I would also check the compression . If it is under 160 psi, you would benefit by increasing it...unless you put the blower on.  :lmao:

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2017, 04:13:57 PM »
Update...clicked over 2000km's now and no real dramas. The ac compressor is leaking a bit from just behind the pulley, so it needs to be taken off and the seals replaced. A bit annoying but what do you do.
Apart from that everything is going great, except the power seems to be going down and down  :grin: Will get a boost soon.

Also going to to change the steering setup and exhaust manifolds shortly, stay tuned. I am going to dyno it straight after the hipo manifold to shorty header swap and I'm interested in the difference.

Online Dwayne

• Worked
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Also going to to change the steering setup

Not happy with the borgeson unit?

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »
Nah it's good. I just want quicker steering. I want to do more of the autocross stuff, and the borgeson I felt wasn't quick enough for that type of driving.
On the street it has been great, I rate it highly.

What's that saying again? Fix it if it isn't broken? I'm sure I'll end up regretting it.  :thumb:

Online Dwayne

• Worked
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
Opentracker quick pitman & idler arms?

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2017, 05:20:33 PM »
Not quick enough. I'm looking for 2.5ish lock to lock

Online Dwayne

• Worked
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
Wow that's quick.

I was just looking at the opentracker quick ones as I need a new idler arm as the old one is cactus.

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »
I may have a open tracker roller one for sale soon

Online Dwayne

• Worked
« Reply #248 on: June 01, 2017, 06:25:42 PM »
Cool, no rush.

Offline head

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Neil
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »
Hi Husky65, I was just wondering who you use to host your photos. Yours are still working.
Thanks Neil.

Visit Custom Mustangs