Author Topic: Qs back!...The 69 Silver Jade Q Code Mach 1  (Read 21212 times)

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Qs back!...The 69 Silver Jade Q Code Mach 1
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
The story of the 69 mach 1 named Q
Its been an epic 3 year build but here we are ready to roll.

Major contributors to the build were:
Down Under Restorations - Kerry the main man who looked after assembly, body repairs and parts restoration to concours standards. His work speaks for itself!
St Marys Prestige Smash Repairs - Steve's crew provided the final body prep and insane paint work.
Bosskraft - Concours supervision, parts sourcing and restoration and assembly. Sean has forgotten more than most people know.
Capital Classics - Mark supplied a lot of the the infinite parts required!
The Crew - All the people in the mustang community that contributed time and help. You know who you are.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Re: Qs back!...The 69 Silver Jade Q Code Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
Marti Report

Lee, your 69 is safe at the Duggo Ranch. Now to do some inventory before I go back to the US. I will check it against what we have ordered so we can get most of what is needed for the assault in July.

Just off the trailer

Needed the Hyundai to help start the beast

This is "interesting", a pre production tag. Info I can gather so far...
PART NAME - Floor Assy Rear
PART NUMBER - C9ZB-6511215-D
Supplying Plant - CSP
ASSY PLT TOOL TRY OUT MAT'L
E.I. No - CZX1-PF_9169C5-D (X in a number is experimental)
DATE - 7.16.68  (Wow July 68, 1 month before production was due to commence)
INSP. SIGNATURE -

I will forward this to Kevin Marti to see what his comments are.

You can see here that no power steer bracket was ever in here. However the steering box has SMB K on the tag (16-1 power steer box) not SMB F (16-1 non power).

This is also interesting, part #'s painted like this are only found on spare parts, painted on the red oxide primer, not on a production panel that has already been painted. Notice the clips on the top of the door for the standard upholstery (the car had decore upholstery, another reason for me to believe this was a changeover car from a GT to a Mach)

Car has a 1" sway bar on the front (standard) & all the suspension incl the shocks makes me believe that the 60K on the speedo is accurate.

Metuchen built Q code 69 Mustang. Notice no wraps, that was common for Q codes at the time from this plant.

Kerry has found the remnants of mach 1 stripes on the leading edge of the door so we at least know what Q's striping will be restored too.

When the dash was out were you able to see if the build sheet was taped to the wiring harness? (from what i read it was the most common place for the metuchen factory in 1969 :o

And here it is! Q's new chin!

We have colour....

The car was already stripped and we didn't touch it when I was there

Have they got the rest of the cluster or were they only doing the tach?

Q's new nos scuff plates

This one is for you Lee. License plate letters are spot on for the selling date of your car.

[/rquote]

Here is what my report looks like

Order placed - August 18, 2009
Arrived - 23 march, 2010

For all those that came over on Saturday, this is the latest on Lee's Q. 1/4 panels tomorrow....

Carb pics....

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »
Today's look, final fit up of 1/4 panels before glue/welding. Doors are now off with skins removed for blasting tomorrow. More pics then.

Made up the corners of the door frames today, now ready for primer & then attach the skins.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:41:36 PM »
The shed at this moment.....

Some of the parts to be sorted, cleaned & plated

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »
Wow, things are happening quickly now. Looking good.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »
Sure are Mwizz. This build was logged on another forum after the thread on this one went to crap! I'm brining it back in a clensed form haha

Q has its first primer on today...

Floors look good, even got the drips just like the factory (they hosed the stuff on back then)...

Before primer, had a few little tasks, one of them was welding the studs that hold the window moulding clips...

& of course the 1/4 panel running horses....

Rest of the pics here...

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/Downresto/Misc%20Mustang%20stuff/Q%20code%2069/

Just got sent a pic of the smog setup we got for Q. Came off a 31K mile CJ.....

Hoses are great & will not have to be re-inked. Dates are correct also....

While cleaning the gearbox casing, I took pics of the "ghosting" of the writing that I found & what colours they were.....

Some pics of the sealing....

Still going with the detail stuff I was not happy with.

The hood has now been converted to a 69 GT style hood (what the car had). Repo hoods are 70 style & there are quite a few differences .  Add to that there was 3 different basic styles of frames in 69 hoods, just to make it more interesting & that is before we start talking about scoops/shakers etc.

You will be able to see some changes in the following pics...

Rear lower valance needed a few alterations to allow correct gaps when fitted.....

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
Q about to leave the ranch, good to see it all in 1 piece....

No, that box trailer is not attached to Q (I will fit the tow bar later...)

Now at Steve's StMarys shop nervously awaiting paint....

The fun begins, here is a few pics of the roof after having a file run over it. Kerry was kind enough to apply some red oxide as a guide coat. When you file it any high spots go through to metal pretty much straight away. After a bit longer more metal appears & any areas that are still untouched are low.

I have started an album for Q, Q code Mach 1.

Pete having a play.

More pics, flat out so descriptions to follow :help:

More

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
The boys have given it a hit all over with 120 on a speed file, found & rectified a few areas that needed a bit more love. It is now being re primed, everything gets colourful & pretty from here on in :thumbs:

The idea of speed filing the primer is to show up any imperfections that dont show up in earlier stages.

Q's shiny new seat belts which were reconditioned through bosskraft

Seat track restoration today (amongst other things)....

Pulled apart & blasted....

Painted & ready to fit (after greasing)...

Lot of running around tomorrow dropping off stuff & picking other stuff up. Ordering parts most days (thanks Mark at Capital Classics again...  :thumbs: ) then dismantling the heater & testing the motor while I await the container arrival (with all the parts..  8O )

Diff together once the paint dries on the housing, probably Sunday. So getting close.

Some parts arrived today via BossKraft.

Block plates for the engine mounts...

Headlamp wiring extensions....

Alternator harness...

Engine bay main harness, for a tach....

Last, but not least, rear wire harness, note original wrapping, hmmmm.....

Cage is a good bloke, he always brings me a Coffee when he pops in.

Havent taken many pics in the past week, paint prep is pretty unexciting. The car is now all but ready for Kerry to come in the morning & bolt it up. The car since being primed for the 2nd time has been blocked, then blocked some more then just to be safe a little more. Starting with 180, then 240 then 400 then 600 wet. It will get one last rub before the top coat is shot. We have also applied some red oxide in hardened basecoat to areas that will not recieve full coverage of the final colour, something about being correct & all that :thumbs:

Never thought I would be taking pics of paint runs to show everyone our work 8O  They have been duplicated as per the originals. Its bloody hard to get modern basecoats to do that.

I will save the video for shooting the outside Foresight.

I will also post a couple more pics once they have been cleared.

Grab your lube & towel Foresight. Click on the pic & it will turn into a video.

Seems appropriate to paint a Big Block Mustang during Earth Hour :joy:

More pics to follow, this is just the first coat. It will look better.

Now it looks beautiful.

A couple in the sun after baking.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
Here you go kiddies, a few more for the spank bank.

Couldnt get any overcast pics on Saturday as it was in the booth getting the black done. Today though.........
For you viewing pleasure

Well the painting process was painless for me...  :rotfl: Just a matter of dropping Q off at StMarys Prestige Smash & picking up a couple of weeks later...  :thumbs:

Q is safely tucked away in bed. Front end panels back off after the trip back to Duggo & safely stored in the spare room in the house.....

Thanks to John (jbb) who came around to help unload Q....  :thumbs:

Q now ready for the reassembly to begin....

"Man Jewelery".... :thumbs: 

Front suspension going back in, that is my hydraulic spring compressor in the pic......

Engine bay starting to be plumbed....

Rear end going together, still have more detailing here...

Shimming the top bolt of the top A arm for more caster....

Headliner went in today, & doors began the assembly process.

jbb worked here all day today & installed the wiring & rebuilt the guage pods along with polishing all the guage plastic lenses.

Had a visit from the Griffith boys today riding their Hardly Davidson's. They left their bikes here while they went into Sydney, so we did not get a lot of time for chat as they had to get back to Canberra that night. Made it no worries (we thought they would get really wet going by the looks of the clouds)....  8O

Pedal box after restoration before install....

Pedal box installed with lower dash frame & supports.....

Booster/master cyl & a view of some of the wiring....

Brake metering block & proportioning valve after rebuilding & installed....

Q's new shoes. Comparison of the goodyears vs the M/Ts

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:19:38 PM »
Q has a new heart installed ...... 

Big chunk of cast iron, however the bloody thing should wake the neighbours ......  :poke:

Tomorrow is top loader install day along with clutch Z bar etc. We will see what challenges that brings ...  :worms:

Inching ever so slowly towards completion......

Shift linkages were all bent & took days to get them right. Thought I had them right, but when the box was in the car the top one hit the floor, so out it came again .....  :rant:

Once this mechanical side is done, then it is back to what I know best, fitting up body & the last little pieces.

ok now you can say I have too much time justin.
I decided my model of Q was too different so I thought I'd fix it.

Sorry to all the boss fans but in this case the boss was the donor car. It donated wheels, front spoiler and a chrome lid air cleaner. Do not fear, it ended up being a clean swap so the boss lives...just a little plainer.

Now to look for the scoop donor, anyone got a "highway 61 mach 1" lying around?!

Time to stop talking about Rex, cameras & models .........

Correct CJ tail pipes .......

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
Turn the sound up ......

Quote from: jusTANG
thats not playing fair  :impatient:
Scoop is now on so mini Q is finished just in time.

Q was wheel aligned today, carb & timing adjusted. Stripes went on tonight & have just fitted the rocker molds.

Taking pics with a flash after stripes are fitted does not do the car justice. They are the dark charcoal stripes with the gold insert.

Q is new inside & out .......

Some pictures for you all .......

There was about a 100 cars at the event. But Q & a couple of other "new" cars (including a 70 B2 that Sean had finished for the event) really got all the attention. Lee will give you his impression when he finally awakes  ;)

So without further ado, the pics ........ 

About the have the underside judged .......

Lee, Bec & Q .....

Q at the event .....

Dirty floor mats, but I am sure Lee will learn how to clean cars .....   :poke:

Sun was way too bright for taking decent "happy snaps" .....

The first real drive was going back to Duggo. Lee had only driven Q about a kilometer before embarking on the journey back to Duggo. No real dramas with the exception of needing to change a carb return spring for one that had a bit more tension. Second part of the drive was way more comfortable for Lee (so he tells me) ......

Mechanically fine, no issues at all other than sorting out some electrical bugs. Interior lights stopped working (probably the headlight switch) & a reversing light went out (probably the repo back up light).

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
Well that was possibly the best 48 hours of my life!

During the early flight on Saturday morning until passing out from exhaustion on Sunday night, I have been fueled by coffee, adrenalin and the support and excitement of the crew that have helped Q become a reality.

It all officially started in Perth at 3am on Saturday the 7th of September. Bec and I woke up amped and ready to go. As some of you have pointed out Bec has been incredibly supportive. She helped build Q and has kept me calm in some times of serious stress! I couldn’t have done it without her. After seeing her handy work Sean even offered her a job at bosskraft :rotfl:

After a good flight we arrived in Sydney and then it was off to duggo via the train! Sydney made it very easy for me to navigate my way.

We arrived at the final train station and then out of the darkness emerged the infamous Kerry.

When we finally made it to the ranch we found the beginnings of what would become a rather large crew!

Q was in what you could call a “pre-show” state!

But after about 1 minute and 43 seconds Q was ready for the show.

Timelapse

It was then time to load up Q and get an hour of sleep.

After waking at 3am we headed to Merrylands. We unloaded Q at a service station near the show at around 5am.

After unloading I drove Q for the first time. Naturally we headed to maccas for a feed. It was an interesting experience and as you can tell I had no idea what I was doing :rotfl:

I detailed Q in the car park until Kerry returned with Sean and his car. I lost count of the number of people who came up to talk to me about Q. There was a few “Are you fully sewious mate?! you are cleaning your car at 6am!” but then I couldn’t shut them up after explaining there was going to be a show down the road. One guy even told me he saw a genuine Eleanor the other day and I don’t think he meant one of the actual movie cars :rotfl:

After this everything moved very quickly so photos/videos become scarce although there were other people like Steves wife Suzanne taking some very nice photos so they may come out later on.

Q was loaded into position at the show and ready to rock. It was very cool showing all the people that have been following the build for the last 3 years. Having so much interest in the project gave it meaning beyond just a car resto. It went from restoring a car to restoring “Q” who is more of a person than a car as Kerry said.

Then it was time for the trip home. Now this is when shit gets real.
The drive home was censoreding terrifying. The throttle was sticking at 2000rpm, I couldn't find the gears, I didn’t know where I was on the road, the diff sounded like a rock crusher and the car was running hot! I had to pull over because it was getting too dangerous as we started hitting heavier traffic. Sean jumped in and had the same problem but had enough time to explain the correct road position and that the diff sound was normal for this LSD. It turns out that the carby return spring was a little loose so the throttle wasn’t being fully closed. A stop off enabled us to swap Sean's B2 spring on which worked a treat.

Now with the road position, diff and throttle sorted I could actually tell if I was in gear because the revs weren't sticking when the clutch was in. The normal revs also meant the car ran very cool. The final leg was amazingly rewarding. Everything just clicked and it felt really natural. I had gone from thinking “Oh shit! I can’t handle this car!” to thinking “Shit yeah! I love this car!”

I honestly cannot thank everyone enough for their time and help. There were times where I have thought why do all these people want to help so much. But then I looked at them individually and realised that they are just selfless and humble people. They are the sort of people that you are proud to call your mates.

Thank you everyone for helping to make Q a reality. No points or trophies could ever come close to meaning as much to me as the rollercoaster journey we have all taken and the new friendships that have been formed. I and Q look forward to hitting the road with you all in the future.

Let the next chapter of Q begin!

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »
She's stunning Lee, nice work from all involved.  :thumb:

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
Thanks machattack appreciate the comment  :cheers:

Lee & Bec had a little drive today. I drove the Explorer in case of trouble & we went to Wollongong via Broughton Pass & Apin to Wollongong Harbour. Nice scenic drive & great spot for photos.

No issues, car ran fine, so we had dinner, enjoyed the scenery & drove back to Duggo.

Lee had the GoPro on the car & will post the link to the movie when it is edited.

Some pics for your enjoyment ........

Haha fellas she was only repeating what the other girl said. She already considers Q hers so I'm stuffed in that department. She even drove it today!

Mini Q is now safely in the possession of the mustang master aka Kerry
Hopefully this will stop any withdrawals until the Perth nationals
Thank you for having us Kerry. The work you do is amazing and we couldn't be prouder of how Q has turned out.

Then it was time for us to finally head off. Some of us were more reluctant to leave than others...

Well....my master plan worked. After leaving a sock at the ranch, Kerry sent me a msg telling me of my mistake. Not being able to leave the sock behind I convinced Bec we needed to return for it. After a couple of hours we were back at the ranch. I had to take Q for a drive to make sure that the sock was still functioning correctly. Thankfully it was so we returned to drop Q off. I thought I might have a better chance this time if I locked myself in Q. Unfortunately I forgot that Kerry had a spare key so they managed to get me out. Bec is now taking me to Melbourne to lower the likelihood of a relapse. Something tells me that all  the shoe and handbag shopping is not going to cut it. Oh well at least I have photos on my phone for those many lonely hours on the Man Chair that they kindly provide at these womanly hell holes.

Well I finally got a chance to upload the cruise vid. Sorry about the sound quality the car was a lot louder than I thought so the mic produced that clicking noise.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »
That was a very long 1m 43s final assembly if my memory serves me correctly!  Think I'll go and have another cup of coffee....

Was good to see Q rumble to life and all back together;  She turned out very well, Lee - Need another excuse to go to the ranch now! 

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
Haha yes moe it was a long 1 minute 43 seconds. It would have been even longer if it wasn't for all the hands helping out!

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
Foresight, What a fantastic car, and an excellent Thread - Thanks for taking so much time to put it all on here.

Congratulations to yourself, Kerry, Steve, Bosskraft and everybody else who put so much effort into the restoration to make it so good. :thumb:

When are you taking the car back to WA? Driving or car transporter?

Great to see that you are taking it to the Perth Nationals next year. Look forward to checking it out. 

Rocket.

Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Online Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
Superb result Lee, well done to you, Kerry and the team.  You're far more patient than I am!

Car looked stunning at the concours, I really hope to see it again soon?

Cheers and many happy miles, you (both) deserve it!

:burnout:
Cheers Bee

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »
Very impressive. Sounds beautiful  :thumb:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Bumblebee come to perth next year and bring your sexy cars!

Rocket it will be heading back via an enclosed truck. I will be driving it before the nationals but it'll be babied a bit. After the nationals its game on  :thumb:

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:32 PM »
Bloody awesome !

Congrats !

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 11:41:10 PM »
I just read the whole thread again Lee, still bought a smile to my face and many many good memories back.
One of the best is the fact we got to meet after that very late skype conversation that seems a life time ago now and the fact you allowed me to help you get your dream on the road. Bec was great to meet you these last few trips and you make a welcome addition to the Q story.
Look after each other and Q and have many many great days together, the three of you  :burnout:

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 11:52:44 PM »
Thanks frank  :thumb:

Justin its actually quite nice to have a condensed form isn't it haha
Ah that fateful skype call...I didn't realise how many lives that call would affect! It's been great having you along for the ride mate and hopefully we can cruise on for a long time yet  :burnout: :burnout:

Offline BossKraft

• Worked
    • Bosskraft
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
That is one of the best threads (if not THE best thread) I've ever seen constructed, Lee. Well done, mate.
Sean McDonagh
MCA Gold Card Judge
Judge at SAAC events
Retired MOCA Head Judge (one of them)

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »
That is one of the best threads (if not THE best thread) I've ever seen constructed, Lee. Well done, mate.

:agree:..........fabulous read about a truly fabulous car, well done!
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Visit Custom Mustangs