Advice on import of new body shell

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Advice on import of new body shell  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Nick68

• P Plates
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »
Hi was hoping for some advice on importing a new body shell from the US.

I have recently taken posession of a mustang and on closer inspection it has alot more rust than I had hoped for. The rear half of the underside is very rusty - requiring a rear new floor and frame rails. There are also a lot of minor repairs in other parts of the car too.

I was wondering about the feasibility of "reshelling" my rusty car with a brand new US shell.

the car I have has never been registered - however it comes with import approval.

Has anybody had any experience in doing this - are there any issues come registration time. As far as import duties I am assuming I will be up for 10% GST, 5% import duty + handling fees - all of this is on top of freight of course. Are there any other fees.

Can anybody provide advice on freight options from the US for a shell?

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
It can be shipped like any other car.
You will have trouble registering it, as a 68, you may have to register it as an ICV 2011 model.... EFI etc etc.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Nick68

• P Plates
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38:21 PM »
Quote from: BLKPNY link=topic=13768.msg141316#msg141316
You will have trouble registering it, as a 68, you may have to register it as an ICV 2011 model.... EFI etc etc.

Thanks for the reply - Sorry I am pretty new to this -  but how would they know it is a new shell - is there some trick way to tell? Would an engineer be able to tell.  If I carry all the tags over can you tell it is not the original car?

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:50:20 AM »
Quote from: Nick68 link=topic=13768.msg141319#msg141319
Quote from: BLKPNY link=topic=13768.msg141316#msg141316

Thanks for the reply - Sorry I am pretty new to this -  but how would they know it is a new shell - is there some trick way to tell? Would an engineer be able to tell.  If I carry all the tags over can you tell it is not the original car?

If you want to go down that road, the first thing you have to do is stop talking about it publicly.
It needs to be a secret as it is illegal to change the VIN stamps over to another body.
You can repair your body with all new pieces and ALL those pieces are available.
Get a body assembly manual and have a look.
A new shell at 16k is just the start of your expenses.
 |___|            |___|

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
I read about a US company who had gotten around this problem by replacing everything around the cowl where the VIN was located.

I can't remember the name of the company, but their first car was a Chevrolet Chevelle from memory. Not sure if they do a Mustang yet.

I'll try and dig up the article.

Cheers,
Frank.

Visit Custom Mustangs