Author Topic: 1966 Wheel design history  (Read 1474 times)

Offline 66FB-CBR

• Stallion
1966 Wheel design history
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »
Hi,

I have a 66 and am considering returning the wheels to as close to original. The car was restored as a GT clone, so I'm interested in finding out firstly what wheels came with a GT in 66, and generally what were the other wheel choices at the time. Styled steel wheels and torque thrust seem to be the most commonly chosen wheel on classic Mustangs. Was the torque thrust a factory option?

I'll have a set of KMC sixty eight's available at the end of all this if anyone is interested
http://www.kmcwheels.com/hwcr/styles.html
Carl
Canberra (North)

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
1966 Wheel design history
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »
The Mustang 64.5-73 Restoration Guide mentions only the factory styled steel wheels and wheel covers (standard and spinner) for the 66 model. And 67 are slightly different. Hope that helps.
Rick

Offline Musto

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Jon
Re: 1966 Wheel design history
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »
I'll have a set of KMC sixty eight's available at the end of all this if anyone is interested
http://www.kmcwheels.com/hwcr/styles.html

Did you mean the KMC Wheels with the 5-spoke design? If i'm not mistaken that would be the district model. I've tried to click on the link but there was no featured rim design. Do you have any photos of your stang with those wheels?

Offline barnett468

• Shelby
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
The best styled steel wheels were made by specialty wheels which are now sold thru Coker Tire. The other brands of styled steel wheels are crap.

The Specialty/Coker wheels must be balanced by the studs.

Torque Thrust wheels were not a factory option.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
Trying to find a wheel shop to balance those rims is getting very very hard here . Think they were called a finger balancer ,and I don't know anywhere that has one anymore . Getting my magnum 500 s balanced is a problem .

Visit Custom Mustangs