Author Topic: So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping  (Read 26257 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline used2have1

  • Pony
  • **
  • Posts: 42
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »
Port Service Charge: $957.06

Delivery Order: $60.00

Cargo Automation: $22.50

CMR Fee: $25.00

Postage & Petties: $5.00

Customs Clearance: $ 150.00

Quarantine Entry Fee: $ 35.00

Quarantine Inspection Fee: $ 139.00 (based on 1 x 15min inspection)

Depot Fee: at cost (estimated $120.00-$220.00)

Cleaning & Re-inspections: at cost

Freightnet Attendance fee: $ 75.00 (if required)

GST: TBA – This will be based on the cost of the vehicle in AUD, plus Duty (if applicable), plus freight, plus insurance.


Offline 68pony

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 995
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
This is a list of what i paid my broker not including gst on the purchase price of the car.
pick up from wharf and unpack from container-$400
destruction dunage based on shared cost 3 cars-$247.67
aqis inspection facility fee-$50
customs clearance-$170
aqis entry and attendance-$50
aqis fees-$139
decleration processing charges-$70
sea cargo automation-$25
deliver order-$50
that was it plus gst on purchase of car , paid on 14/05/2010 ,my car passed the aqis inspection and did not need cleaning , by the way there is no duty if car is over 30yrs old.
cheers chris

Offline shane427

  • Pony
  • **
  • Posts: 45
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:17:50 PM »
Looks about the right. The numbers below are what i was quoted for my car arriving in a few weeks.

Port charges / unpack / transport   485
Booking fee   25
Fuel                   33
   
Delivery Order Fee   55
Quarantine Fee   199
Quarantine Attendance   99
Customs Clearance   395
CMR Recovery   55
Postage Petties   10.5
Cleaning if required   200

Offline Rock65

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 441
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:04:25 PM »
Darren ,i wrote a cheque for $5500 when my car arrived. That was all up........

Offline used2have1

  • Pony
  • **
  • Posts: 42
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »
thanks guys,just wanted to be sure.

Offline mark678

  • Thoroughbred
  • **
  • Posts: 110
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:23:34 AM »
this is the trouble you get into with some folk...... they are charging you all the fees for the whole container...... what did you get charged for the freight? there are plenty of guys who only charge a one off fee usually around 3- 3.5k..... which is reasonable

Offline 68pony

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 995
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »
Quote
Originally posted by mark678
this is the trouble you get into with some folk...... they are charging you all the fees for the whole container...... what did you get charged for the freight? there are plenty of guys who only charge a one off fee usually around 3- 3.5k..... which is reasonable

Yes based on 4 cars in container and if you read the fine print it does not include aqis fees and in some case's does not include gst on freight.

Offline Rock65

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 441
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
Quote
Originally posted by mark678
this is the trouble you get into with some folk...... they are charging you all the fees for the whole container...... what did you get charged for the freight? there are plenty of guys who only charge a one off fee usually around 3- 3.5k..... which is reasonable
 Dont forget the more your car is the higher the GST bill will be,so the figure of 3-3.5k is variable. My cost of $5500 incl GST,shipping ,cleaning ,aqis fees ,etc,etc

Offline cage

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »
Quote
Originally posted by 68pony
This is a list of what i paid my broker not including gst on the purchase price of the car.
pick up from wharf and unpack from container-$400
destruction dunage based on shared cost 3 cars-$247.67
aqis inspection facility fee-$50
customs clearance-$170
aqis entry and attendance-$50
aqis fees-$139
decleration processing charges-$70
sea cargo automation-$25
deliver order-$50
that was it plus gst on purchase of car , paid on 14/05/2010 ,my car passed the aqis inspection and did not need cleaning , by the way there is no duty if car is over 30yrs old.
cheers chris


Hey Chris, who did you use as a broker if you don't mind me asking?

Offline 68pony

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 995
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:51:03 PM »
Quote
Originally posted by cage
Quote
Originally posted by 68pony
This is a list of what i paid my broker not including gst on the purchase price of the car.
pick up from wharf and unpack from container-$400
destruction dunage based on shared cost 3 cars-$247.67
aqis inspection facility fee-$50
customs clearance-$170
aqis entry and attendance-$50
aqis fees-$139
decleration processing charges-$70
sea cargo automation-$25
deliver order-$50
that was it plus gst on purchase of car , paid on 14/05/2010 ,my car passed the aqis inspection and did not need cleaning , by the way there is no duty if car is over 30yrs old.
cheers chris


Hey Chris, who did you use as a broker if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all mate,i used: Tony warr international Pty Ltd as my broker,
they are actually based in queensland and easy to deal with
here is there number ask for chris warr (07)38488088 , Just wan't to add that the unpack depot used in my case was 10 minutes from home that made it really easy to watch the unpack and pickup car.

Offline used2have1

  • Pony
  • **
  • Posts: 42
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »
Found out, that cause my car is in with other ""stuff"", not cars.... Its Cubied up and you pay on space....
Therefore will cost more.Sounds strange to me...

Offline ponyride

  • Blue Printed
  • ****
  • Posts: 1388
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
The AUD has tanked against the green back too, so make sure you keep your calculations up to date if you haven't paid for everything already.
Rick

Offline Nobby76

  • Stallion
  • **
  • Posts: 81
  • Location: Newcastle
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
Quote from: used2have1 link=topic=10569.msg109289#msg109289
Found out, that cause my car is in with other ""stuff"", not cars.... Its Cubied up and you pay on space....
Therefore will cost more.Sounds strange to me...


Did you get this resolved?? I've just received a quote from a company my shipping agent is using as my 2 cars are in with other goods. They are quoting per cube as well which is making it 3 times dearer than the original quote I received off another broker??

Thought it was simple until this happened!!

Offline Frank70

  • Supercharged
  • *****
  • Posts: 2911
  • Location: Hampton , Victoria
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »
I didn't add up the original post total, but I think I paid more in the various fees , not counting GST.
I would advise not doing what I did and just pay. I have no paperwork of any description to prove what I paid vs. what was really charged. Only a spreadsheet from the broker with the costs and the total. I have been asking for docs without luck.

Example ... I got charged for a 2nd AQIS inspection as it failed the first. So $460 odd and when I went to get the get it had mud all underneath it. Was never Steam cleaned once here - let alone twice.

so I am pretty sure I got ripped off.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Nobby76

  • Stallion
  • **
  • Posts: 81
  • Location: Newcastle
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »
Quote from: Frank70 link=topic=10569.msg164847#msg164847
I didn't add up the original post total, but I think I paid more in the various fees , not counting GST.
I would advise not doing what I did and just pay. I have no paperwork of any description to prove what I paid vs. what was really charged. Only a spreadsheet from the broker with the costs and the total. I have been asking for docs without luck.

Example ... I got charged for a 2nd AQIS inspection as it failed the first. So $460 odd and when I went to get the get it had mud all underneath it. Was never Steam cleaned once here - let alone twice.

so I am pretty sure I got ripped off.

Cheers,
Frank.


Thanks, good advice.

Offline Nobby76

  • Stallion
  • **
  • Posts: 81
  • Location: Newcastle
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
just got an email back, after asking why it was so much dearer they dropped the price. Still don't understand why they charge per cubic metre for unloading a whole car, but guess we don't have a choice, so they can charge what they want!!

Offline Frank70

  • Supercharged
  • *****
  • Posts: 2911
  • Location: Hampton , Victoria
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
Good job !

I know for next time to use someone who quotes shipping and brokerage.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline StephenSLR

  • Top Streeter
  • ******
  • Posts: 3370
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Location: Sydney
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »

This is what I got from Freightnet Sydney, it's who Schumacher have sent it to.

The size of a motor vehicle is approx 14cbm.
 
IMPORT SEAFREIGHT/MOTOR VEHICLE IMPORT
DESCRIPTION               CHARGES
Formal Clearance       AUD 135.00
Port Service Charge       AUD 65.00/cbm x 14 = $910.00
Terminal Handling Charge  AUD 20.00/cbm x 14 = $280.00
Quarantine entry        AUD 139.00/entry
Quarantine attendance  AUD 35.00
Quarantine inspection       AUD 75.00 per inspection
Security Surcharge   AUD 10.00
Delivery Order   AUD 65.00
Post & Pettis   AUD 5.00
Cargo Automation/CMR   AUD 40.00
Steam Clean         AUD 225.00 per vehicle / AUD 175.00 per motor cycle
 
NOTES   
1. Excludes any additional disbursements paid on  your behalf
2. All charges are COD
3. Excludes duties & GST payable to customs
4. All above charges exclude GST

All adds up to $1919.00, not sure if anything is optional, i.e. the steam clean, etc.
 
s

Offline 68pony

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 995
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »
Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=10569.msg178085#msg178085

This is what I got from Freightnet Sydney, it's who Schumacher have sent it to.

The size of a motor vehicle is approx 14cbm.
 
IMPORT SEAFREIGHT/MOTOR VEHICLE IMPORT
DESCRIPTION               CHARGES
Formal Clearance       AUD 135.00
Port Service Charge       AUD 65.00/cbm x 14 = $910.00
Terminal Handling Charge  AUD 20.00/cbm x 14 = $280.00
Quarantine entry        AUD 139.00/entry
Quarantine attendance  AUD 35.00
Quarantine inspection       AUD 75.00 per inspection
Security Surcharge   AUD 10.00
Delivery Order   AUD 65.00
Post & Pettis   AUD 5.00
Cargo Automation/CMR   AUD 40.00
Steam Clean         AUD 225.00 per vehicle / AUD 175.00 per motor cycle
 
NOTES   
1. Excludes any additional disbursements paid on  your behalf
2. All charges are COD
3. Excludes duties & GST payable to customs
4. All above charges exclude GST

All adds up to $1919.00, not sure if anything is optional, i.e. the steam clean, etc.
 
s

Steve quarantine will determine if the car needs to be cleaned ,so the clean is a option, i have imported 2 cars one passed and did not need a clean the other did not pass and had to be cleaned, the only other extra will be the gst on the purchase price of the car which is payed to customs.

Offline StephenSLR

  • Top Streeter
  • ******
  • Posts: 3370
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Location: Sydney
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »
Quote from: 68pony link=topic=10569.msg178089#msg178089

i have imported 2 cars one passed and did not need a clean the other did not pass and had to be cleaned, the only other extra will be the gst on the purchase price of the car which is paid to customs.


What I don't get is all the charges:

What's the difference between port charge and terminal charge?

Add to this a formal clearance - what's that?

3 x quarantine charges.

Delivery order?

It all sounds like different fancy named charges for the one service.

:(

s

Offline MachAttack

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 732
  • Location: SE Melbourne
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »
Stephen, this is what I've been given from Freightnet in Melbourne (red writing is mine):

The 'known' charges at this stage are -
 
Customs Clearance               150.00     ( 1 supplier code)
Additional Suppliers              25.00      (per additional supplier)    
Delivery Order                      70.00
Cargo automation                   25.00
Courier                                  15.00 
CMR/Edi                                25.00 
AQIS compliance fee             55.00
 
The 'unknown' charges are - 
 
Port Service Charge     -    approx 65.00 per tonne or cbm, whichever greater     501.91 ft³ = 14.2125 m³ = $923.81
AQIS Attendance        -    approx 250.00  (charges invoiced as disbursed by AQIS) 
Steam Cleaning            -    approx 250.00 per vehicle ( paid by the client directly to steam cleaning premises )
Duty/GST                    -    as disbursed by Australian Customs  
Redline Fee                  -    30.00 if Customs send it 'redline' for scrutiny of the documents 
Inspection Fee             -    approx 75.00 per vehicle as unpack Depot staff need to accompany the AQIS Inspector  
Delivery                       -    we normally suggest you do your own collection
$1613.81 plus any steamcleaning and associated costs. Plus GST of course.

Not sure what an "additional supplier" is so figure includes one.

Offline 68pony

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 995
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »
Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=10569.msg178101#msg178101
Quote from: 68pony link=topic=10569.msg178089#msg178089

i have imported 2 cars one passed and did not need a clean the other did not pass and had to be cleaned, the only other extra will be the gst on the purchase price of the car which is paid to customs.


What I don't get is all the charges:

What's the difference between port charge and terminal charge?

Add to this a formal clearance - what's that?

3 x quarantine charges.

Delivery order?

It all sounds like different fancy named charges for the one service.

:(

s

Steve id say the prices have gone up, this is a list of what i paid in may 2010 for our 55 olds it passed quarantine so no cleaning charge.
This is a list of what i paid my broker not including gst on the purchase price of the car.
pick up from wharf and unpack from container-$400
destruction dunage based on shared cost 3 cars-$247.67
aqis inspection facility fee-$50
customs clearance-$170
aqis entry and attendance-$50
aqis fees-$139
decleration processing charges-$70
sea cargo automation-$25
deliver order-$50
total $1201.67
my 53 oldsmobile which i picked up last week i paid $3,500 all up from california to sydney including unpacking and all other associated charges and cleaning, it would have been $500 less but the olds was to tall to fit a car on top.

Offline StephenSLR

  • Top Streeter
  • ******
  • Posts: 3370
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Location: Sydney
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
Quote from: 68pony link=topic=10569.msg178114#msg178114

my 53 oldsmobile which i picked up last week i paid $3,500 all up from california to sydney including unpacking and all other associated charges and cleaning, it would have been $500 less but the olds was to tall to fit a car on top.


That's pretty good considering it'd be $500 less.

On top of my charges listed above I have insurance ($765), A/C degas ($250) and an error on the cert. of title which has cost me $200 to correct.

It certainly all adds up but in the end I think it'll be worth it.

s

Offline 68pony

  • Worked
  • ***
  • Posts: 995
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=10569.msg178118#msg178118
Quote from: 68pony link=topic=10569.msg178114#msg178114

my 53 oldsmobile which i picked up last week i paid $3,500 all up from california to sydney including unpacking and all other associated charges and cleaning, it would have been $500 less but the olds was to tall to fit a car on top.


That's pretty good considering it'd be $500 less.

On top of my charges listed above I have insurance ($765), A/C degas ($250) and an error on the cert. of title which has cost me $200 to correct.

It certainly all adds up but in the end I think it'll be worth it.

s

Yeh if it were a mustang it would have been $3000 all up plus what ever the gst is on the purchase price of car, yep i know about titles being wrong been there, pain in the ass

Offline StephenSLR

  • Top Streeter
  • ******
  • Posts: 3370
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Location: Sydney
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
So why do guys ask $3000++ for shipping
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »
Quote from: 68pony link=topic=10569.msg178119#msg178119
Yeh if it were a mustang it would have been $3000 all up plus what ever the gst is on the purchase price of car


Does that include insurance?

One guy tells me he had his 'vette shipped from LA to SYD last month all up $3,300 - including insurance.

I'm thinking maybe it wasn't insured but he tells me it was.

Even if the co. have insurance built in to their business they'd pass on the costs to the customer.

I can't see how it'd be that cheap unless the car wasn't insured or they somehow get around some of the above charges.

s

 

Visit Custom Mustangs