Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Tech Torque Pre 1973 / Re: 66 Engine Removal
« Last post by Reklaw on Today at 11:37:11 AM »
OK, so sounds like removing motor and box whilst the car is sitting on go-jacks is doable. Will give it a go.
Everything is off the motor, radiator is out, might remove the condenser just in case.
Cheers for the replies.
BobW
Mustang Chat Room / panel fitment
« Last post by zorro on Today at 11:29:43 AM »
what do people think of the 2015 - 2017 mustang quality and particularly the panel fitment
« Last post by GEOFF289 on Today at 11:19:16 AM »
The third character A indicates its from a "generic full size ford", so in 1980 an LTD or Crown Victoria.

When I put my new engine and trans in I pulled the old one and C4 in one piece with a load leveller and the front wheels sitting on go jack thingos. Radiator out of car and fan, alternator etc removed from engine first. Slow and steady, small adjustments of the leveller and crane and constant checking and it came out with only one problem.

The one problem was me forgetting about the earth strap from the back of the engine to the firewall but it was no match for the crane.
« Last post by BAC on Today at 11:11:06 AM »
If you want to keep going with leaving the C4 in place, once you get the motor out remove the fan assembly from the water pump. 

This will buy you a few extra inches of movement to be able to drop the motor back in more easily.
« Last post by Reklaw on Today at 11:08:05 AM »
Thanks Geoff. Yeah, sorry, that is hard to read in the pic. It looks like EOAE with D3C under it.
I have a load leveller, trans plug etc. but need to move the car sideways once engine is out, therefore it will be sitting on go-jacks with a "dolly" and small trolley jack supporting the trans. Wasn't sure if there would be enough height to get the engine and trans out in one unit, so thought I'd just pull the engine.
BobW
Tech Torque Pre 1973 / Re: 289 upgrade to 4bbl
« Last post by BAC on Today at 11:02:15 AM »
I will consider your suggesting re: gearing but dont want it revving its guts out on the freeway.
Assuming Glenn's calculations are correct that you're currently pulling around 2300 RPM @100kph with a 2.8 diff, going to a 3.25 would increase this to a tick under 2700 RPM. Still quite liveable IMHO but your choice of course.

I can get a cast 4bbl inlet from a club member so will probably proceed with that
Again your choice but if you're going to change, a Weiand stealth will be much lighter and get you a few more HP for similar money.

There is a lot of different opinion around carbi thats for sure.
Sounds like you need another one:  https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-m08600vs/overview/  :grin:

Should be perfectly sized for your app and comes ready to run out of the box.  $460 AUD delivered to your door and check out its customer feedback rating.

Tech Torque Pre 1973 / Re: Holley 4150 Stumbling...
« Last post by birdman on Today at 10:53:32 AM »
"Stumbling and hesitation around corners"
That's why I mentioned fuel bowl levels  :thud:
« Last post by GEOFF289 on Today at 10:32:51 AM »
The code is too hard to read in the photo. Looks like it starts with E0 which makes it a 1980 block but I can't read any more. Can you tell us what it says? the third character will tell us what it's out of. Fourth character looks like an E which tells us its and engine, so that's reassuring.
« Last post by GEOFF289 on Today at 10:26:21 AM »
Personally I reckon this is the hardest way possible to do it. I reckon you are better off either:

1. Separating the trans from the engine under the car, then lifting the engine out and vice versa for re-fit. You can just sit the trans on a jack (on a bit of chipboard or something under the pan) and move it back and down a few inches, don't have to pull it out from under the car; or

2. Pull the engine and trans out as a single unit and separate and re-join them out of the car. A load leveller like this is useful if you go that way.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/292160469730?chn=ps&dispItem=1
« Last post by Reklaw on Today at 10:21:39 AM »
Oh, and playing with this thing is a voyage of discovery. Found that an ear had been broken off the block. Had previously found that the timing cover had been broken and siliconed together. Now thinking that this engine might have been pulled from a wreck. Do the casting numbers shown here reveal what it might have been out of?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs