Author Topic: Lowering my car  (Read 1829 times)

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
Lowering my car
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »
Having seen some very cool photos of forum members cars that have beeen lowered I'd like to drop my convertible a little. Not crazy low just 1 to 1.5 inches i think.

What is the easiest or best way to achieve that?

Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: Lowering my car
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:45:23 AM »
Cut a 1/3 coil from the front coils. install 1 inch lowing blocks in the rear.

BTW: I like the stance you have - nice car.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »

Come on boof, you know cutting coils ain't the correct way!!!  :toetapping:

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB - Tropical Turquoise / Standard White
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »
A set of Kings KFFL59 springs for the front will probably get you the stance you want.

For the back you can get the mid-eye or drop-eye leaf springs.  This is a bit of a raffle in terms of how much drop as it depends on how worn out your current springs are.  OR you can get your current springs reset to exactly the height you specify by a suspension shop.

I used Suspension City at 41 Provost St, North Melbourne.  Damien is the man. They did both the front and rear springs at separate times for me. I also had another half-leaf put in my rear springs too. They have been doing it for years. Not cheap (they used to be cheap but you now pay for good work) but they can tell you exactly what you will get and do it right first time.

Cheers
Shane

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »

Thank you  :thumb: I like it too, but I also would like it to sit just a little lower although I might struggle to get in and out of it in my old age :cry:
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline GLENN 70

• Cobra
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:53:32 AM »
Lowering can be hit and miss . You can buy front springs and find them either to high or too low .  I just took mine to king springs and told them where I wanted the front to sit ,bingo it came back at that .  Just over $200 I think done . You can go to the trouble of buying and fitting rear springs or just buy 1 inch lowering blocks if that's how much you want it lowered .

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB - Tropical Turquoise / Standard White
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
Lowering can be hit and miss . You can buy front springs and find them either to high or too low .  I just took mine to king springs and told them where I wanted the front to sit ,bingo it came back at that .  Just over $200 I think done . You can go to the trouble of buying and fitting rear springs or just buy 1 inch lowering blocks if that's how much you want it lowered .
Agreed Glenn. But I think going direct to Kings is only a luxury that those that enjoy the pleasant weather of QLD have access to.  Suspension City has a full complement of Kings springs and would be able to achieve the same result for us Mexicans.

Offline Dwayne

• Worked
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
PM sent, have Kings 59's I haven't fitted yet you can borrow to test the front.

Offline 289 vert

• Stallion
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
If you haven't already done it, and you should, the arning drop will lower the front around 1/2"

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
cutting the coil reduces the compressed rate and can cause it to bottom easier.

this is it a not an issue with higher rate springs because the compressed rate will still be much higher than the stock rate would be no matter how much you cut them.

buy stiffer "lowering" springs around the 450 lb rate then cut them until it is around 1/4" higher than you want and they will typically settle 1/4" after a month or so.

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »
Through experience on my previous ride, a 65` Coupe I found that lowering blocks actually caused a bit of extra lateral movement in the rear of the car that did infact cause some intermittent tyre scraping issues, but it sure did look the goods  :thumb:             

Offline shaunp

• Cobra
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
cutting the coil reduces the compressed rate and can cause it to bottom easier.

this is it a not an issue with higher rate springs because the compressed rate will still be much higher than the stock rate would be no matter how much you cut them.

buy stiffer "lowering" springs around the 450 lb rate then cut them until it is around 1/4" higher than you want and they will typically settle 1/4" after a month or so.

Most of the kings springs are progressive rate

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Come on boof, you know cutting coils ain't the correct way!!!  :toetapping:

In fact either front and back suggested approaches could be argued not the correct way.
I have done both numerous times - cheap, easy and works. Otherwise your buying new springs hope they settle where you want them and replacing or resetting the rears to the new height.

Now I have no problem using a cut-off-wheel and slicing a bit of coil off the spring (on the correct side). I am only fine tuning not bulk 2inch drops. Lowing blocks not a fan but it is a way to quickly verify if you like the change that can be easily reversed.

Offline jiffy

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
I thought cutting a section of coil off the springs was illegal? (roadworthy issues, insurance claims etc)
'69 CJ 4SPD car under contruction
2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone

U2U, email or phone me 0423 977 057

Offline Fitzy1980

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
I thought cutting a section of coil off the springs was illegal? (roadworthy issues, insurance claims etc)

Not sure of other states but in good old Cockroach country it's most certainly illegal..

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
In fact either front and back suggested approaches could be argued not the correct way.
I have done both numerous times - cheap, easy and works. Otherwise your buying new springs hope they settle where you want them and replacing or resetting the rears to the new height.

Now I have no problem using a cut-off-wheel and slicing a bit of coil off the spring (on the correct side). I am only fine tuning not bulk 2inch drops. Lowing blocks not a fan but it is a way to quickly verify if you like the change that can be easily reversed.

I'm with you on the rears only... Sorry  :therethere:

Offline Husky65

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
There's nothing unsafe about cutting a bit off the front springs, as long as the spring is still under a bit of tension under full droop. The problem was guys that were cutting huge amounts off stock springs, and not only is the spring loose at full droop, plus the spring rates were rubbish and bottoming obviously occurred regularly.
 Whether it's legal or not whatever, but if you do it properly it's not unsafe.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »
It is illegal if cut incorrectly. It is the tempering of the metal. If you use an oxy to cut it then indeed not a good idea. A cut off wheel does not impart high temperatures into the metal so perfectly safe. At the end of the day do what you feel right - its you own car.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
I'm with you on the rears only... Sorry  :therethere:

No problem at all. Civil discussion is always fine with me.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
No problem at all. Civil discussion is always fine with me.

Me too.  :cheers:

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 11:23:54 PM »
they can not tell if they have been cut anyway.

Offline sms777

• Worked
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »
they can not tell if they have been cut anyway.
Until you have an accident.......Then God help you from the insurance investigators..... :toetapping:
Click Banner

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Until you have an accident.......Then God help you from the insurance investigators..... :toetapping:

Good point! I'm with you...

Offline barnett468

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 04:31:12 AM »

They can't tell providing it is done correctly.

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs