Author Topic: Roll On Roll Off Shipping damage - just had to share ...  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Pedro

• Worked
Re: Roll On Roll Off Shipping damage - just had to share ...
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 11:25:16 PM »
I've heard plenty of bad stories on RORO. The pic in the post showing a Fairmont against the side of the container shows by the tie down straps that it has been packed by amateurs. I've personally brought six containerised cars in separate shipments from Long Beach to Brisbane and they were packed by pros (packed four cars in 40' container configuration) and none ever moved. I wouldn't ship any other way.

Offline BAC

• Blue Printed
  • '68 Cougar 289 2V / '69 Mach 1 S code 428
  • Name: Brian
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 11:53:17 PM »
If you really want a bit more peace of mind, most major shippers offer the option of a single 20' container just for your car - much more expensive of course...

Still the container can be always be lost/damaged in rough seas so there are no guarantees.
Cheers,
Brian

Online skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
The fairmont gt  isn't restrained properly. It needs way more lateral restraint, i.e. straps running sideways. I do this kind of work for the Air Force and the restraint I see on trucks etc makes me cringe.
67 Convertible

Offline 67FBGT

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
Have you ever been in a port and watched the RORO guys loading/unloading cars? The pace they are required to go at is quite something. Meaning they don't have time to muck about babying someone's pride and joy, modern or classic.
Any much loved car of mine would always be shipped in a container, packed by professionals, thankyou very much.

Offline MStang67

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »
thanks guys - have a car on the water now (container), so on top of the bloody wait I now have more worries :(

Don't worry Greg - Container is safe!!!  My car went from Sydney to Mauritius via Singapore and Malaysia where it was dis-embarked and re-embarked each time!

If you have patience you can track your container or Vessel live !

First opening of my container back here in Mauritius!

http://

Online gbader

• Thoroughbred
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Don't worry Greg - Container is safe!!!  My car went from Sydney to Mauritius via Singapore and Malaysia where it was dis-embarked and re-embarked each time!

Amaury - great to see she arrived safe and sound, after all the dramas we have been through with our dodgy mate we need some good news

Mine is insured and on the water now, not too stressed but yep, it is the wait that is the pain

So is the 67 registered and terrorising the locals yet :)

cheers

greg

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Don't worry Greg - Container is safe!!!

Yeah, mine arrived safely on a container too. There's risk with every form of transportation and you weigh up which way you want to go and there's also insurance if you want peace of mind but you can also get screwed there too.

s

Offline MStang67

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
Amaury - great to see she arrived safe and sound, after all the dramas we have been through with our dodgy mate we need some good news

Mine is insured and on the water now, not too stressed but yep, it is the wait that is the pain

So is the 67 registered and terrorising the locals yet :)

cheers

greg

Greg, not yet registered as I am fixing a few things that our doggy mate left as a surprise for me - like the fuel tank which looked new from the outside but the inside was full of crap...rust falling appart!! Ordering a new tank!

Check these photos - not sure if it is the orignal fuel tank which has been repainted on the outside but inside is a rust bucket!

Will tell more about my story when I have some time!

Visit Custom Mustangs

Visit Custom Mustangs